R33 GTST SKYLINE - 450+HP BUILD

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

EP82JM

RMS Regular
Thought I'd fire a thread up on my r33.

Bought it off a mate I work with. He's the only UK owner of the car after getting it imported 8 years ago. It's done roughly 25k in those 8 years and has been garaged most of its time over here.

Quick spec on it

1996 gtst
Just over 50000miles on it (54ish)
Rising sun performance stage 1 ecu
Benchmark coilpacks
Boost turned up to .85bar
Toyosports front mount
Air filter
Magnex cat back and back box
Japspeed decat
Split downpipe
Gizmo electronic boost controller
Walbro 255 fuel pump

That's pretty much it I think

I bought it around October/November 2014 and it's been a bit of a work in progress since then in getting it sitting exactly how I want it.

First thing was to get it mot'd and on the road due to lying up for a bit

DSC_2124_zps33vos8ds.jpg

After mot I needed to sort the misfire problem so bought a set of benchmark coilpacks and thought I'd rip the **** manual boost controller out in favour of an electronic one.

DSC_2294_zpsabqgsbks.jpg

Coilpacks sorted the misfire although turning the boost up created a flat spot around 5k which is common in these when running a front mount and high boost but still a standard ecu. I didn't feel safe pushing the car through the flat spot so needed to get it sorted ASAP.

Bought a rising sun performance stage 1 ecu to eliminate this but also give a performance gain for the current mods.

20150610_181536_zps68bneand.jpg

The company state the ecu will give up to around 330bhp but I'm not too sure on that,don't think it's running much over 300 if even but for a generic map it's obviously going to differ for each car.

Car hasn't really changed since this,put my reg on it and I've just been driving away at it with a few more plans in the pipeline.

Few pictures off it are probably more interesting than the ***** I've posted above lol

20150530_153413_zpsxpyy6ea6.jpg

20150530_152550_zpsaw0lgqcb.jpg

DSC_0075_zpsanmi1e8d.jpg

DSC_0074_zpsygpu1v6d.jpg

DSC_0073_zps3lxkasa3.jpg

DSC_0068_zps9vbfmvjl.jpg

DSC_2168_zpscawm2kfp.jpg

EP82JM

RMS Regular
OP
EP82JM
After driving away at it for a while I got bored of the power and bought the next few upgrades. Bought an Apexi power fc standalone ecu and a z32 air flow meter to get a few more hp from it. Still have them lying in my room floor unsure of what to do next.

20150518_164136_zpsay67blqw.jpg

I'm looking to run it to about 450hp for coming back out next summer so I will probably leave the ecu etc lying in my room until I have the turbo and new clutch lying for it all ready to go on and get mapped by Bradley in one go.

I also bought a set of rotas for it as I don't think the alloys on it at the minute suit it well. Quick picture trying them on for size before buying them

a04cc3ef90ffefeb3cb782c118465187_zpsxwwiqy1h.jpg

Have these away getting refurbed at the minute and should be back any day. Was hoping to have them on for cruise for cancer but not sure if they will be ready on time.

Also took into painting the inner arches the body colour over the past week or 2 to freshen it up a bit more.didnt need painted but just doing the small things to have it sitting exactly how I want it and if I come to sell it that's the sort of thing which gets people's attention.

20150623_154353_zpstbiqev4b.jpg

Last edited:

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Very nice Spec 2.

If you're wanting to retain reliability and car that you can drive every day, don't crack the RB open. Run it around 380bhp for a safe, usable, very reliable car that'll still show most cars the road...

Smurf.

RMS Regular
Drives
The odd time
Love it mate. The benchmark coil packs cant be beat for the money.I had one made 317bhp with Bells/RSP ecu on stage 1 mods . What turbo you gonna go for?

EP82JM

RMS Regular
OP
EP82JM
@Nicky that was the original plan. Run it to around 400ish tops and just drive away at it but now I think I'll go a bit further and push it to 450. I took it off the road there a few weeks ago as daily driving it meant firing £100+ a week through it and it was destroying my soul lol so it'll only be driven the odd weekend,once a month if even so thought **** it I'll push it a bit further.

@SMURF1 I'm not 100% what route to go down. Ideally I'd want to go top mount and run a 6 boost mani etc but I'm swaying towards keeping it low mount and running one of the conceptua stage 5 hybrids. Can't decide which to go for,conceptuas a lot cheaper but it means if I decide to get it forged and run over 500 later on then I still have to pay for a top mount set up. Whatever I decide it'll be happening over winter ready for next summer. Any opinion on the conceptua hybrids?

Smurf.

RMS Regular
Drives
The odd time
There has been a lot of guys that have tried and tested the conceptua stuff on the skyline forums. 6 boost manifold are nice bit of kit, expensive but very tidy

EP82JM

RMS Regular
OP
EP82JM
Yea @SMURF1 been reading up on them for a while trying to decide. By the time I blow a hybrid and buy a replacement I'd probably still be cheaper than buying a 6 boost mani alone never mind a turbo etc to suit lol. Probably will run a stage 5 hybrid for a while anyway as they can achieve the 450 I want without the major costs,then if I keep it long enough I'll look Into forging it and running a top mount!

Cheers @big_pete must get it up for a wash again some time soon.

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
That is beautiful!! (y) .. I love spec 2s, that's what I wanted originally. Really quite jealous of that, what a stunning car.

Good work so far! Keep updating :laughing:

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
threads like this are makin me sell the evo

cant wait to put my arse in one

stunning car, will keep an eye on this for updates (y)

EP82JM

RMS Regular
OP
EP82JM
You were getting close to pulling something mad out of the bag @MarcVtec lol.

They haven't made a good Audi yet @ruairi83 ;) Lol oj.

Polished alloys reckon he'll have the rotas finished for Saturday so hopefully get them on this weekend and maybe a set of coilovers this month if I don't throw the head up and send it up to Bradley to get mapped properly for stage 1.

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Jealous! Looks great
I wouldn't have seen this commuting along the westlink some mornings over the past few months?

EP82JM

RMS Regular
OP
EP82JM
Jealous! Looks great
I wouldn't have seen this commuting along the westlink some mornings over the past few months?

Yes probably was me mate. I was daily driving it for about 6 months up until a few weeks ago and would have been at the westlink every morning.

MarcVtec

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda Integra Ty
You were getting close to pulling something mad out of the bag @MarcVtec lol.

They haven't made a good Audi yet @ruairi83 ;) Lol oj.

Polished alloys reckon he'll have the rotas finished for Saturday so hopefully get them on this weekend and maybe a set of coilovers this month if I don't throw the head up and send it up to Bradley to get mapped properly for stage 1.

You have no idea lol. Ah well , live and learn haha.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
I'm not a huge fan of Skylines, but that looks very clean & smart! Liking the direction you are going with it too.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I had a Turbo Dynamics hybrid on 1 of my old Skylines. Was fit for around 450bhp, and it was a direct replacement, so no need to modify any pipe work, oil pipes, exhaust etc...

Used units still fetch £4-500, but they are a great job.

The stock unit runs a ceramic turbine wheel, which is very light to aid spooling, but can't take much abuse in terms of raising boost to anything over a bar of pressure. A lot of guys will say 0.9bar is the maximum in to run them at.

EP82JM

RMS Regular
OP
EP82JM
I had a Turbo Dynamics hybrid on 1 of my old Skylines. Was fit for around 450bhp, and it was a direct replacement, so no need to modify any pipe work, oil pipes, exhaust etc...

Used units still fetch £4-500, but they are a great job.

The stock unit runs a ceramic turbine wheel, which is very light to aid spooling, but can't take much abuse in terms of raising boost to anything over a bar of pressure. A lot of guys will say 0.9bar is the maximum in to run them at.

Yea pretty similar to the conceptua ones probably then. Was speaking to a fella there,the RSP hybrids run garrett internals and are fit for 450+ so think ill go for one of them. Theyre around 600ish from memory,possibly on an exchange basis.

What power were you running with the turbo dynamics?

johnm

RMS Regular
Was going to ask the same thing about along the westlink.
Nice wagon, rota's will suit it a lot more.

I'd an Impul ecu in mine and it was fantastic for stage one.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.