R33 GTST SKYLINE - 450+HP BUILD

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
From my experience the hybrids never perform or feel just like the power they should generate.

Nothing like a top mount. But gets daft expensive and reliability starts to get risky.
I have had a few hybrid turbo ones. Last being stage 4 with bb core etc. Things get a lot more efficient and cooler with top mount.

In saying that. It will go like stink compared to now if mapped properly at 1.3 bar on a hybrid. Throw some Subaru p1 injectors in at same time. 100 quid will get ya 6 and direct fit just get the plugs for each injector and snipped leaving a few inches of wire. There fine for 430 odd horse.

Last edited:

andy.

RMS Regular
Drives
MKVI GTI
Hks2540 if you can find one is a great turbo on these for the standard position.

EP82JM

RMS Regular
OP
EP82JM
From my experience the hybrids never perform or feel just like the power they should generate.

Nothing like a top mount. But gets daft expensive and reliability starts to get risky.
I have had a few hybrid turbo ones. Last being stage 4 with bb core etc. Things get a lot more efficient and cooler with top mount.

In saying that. It will go like stink compared to now if mapped properly at 1.3 bar on a hybrid. Throw some Subaru p1 injectors in at same time. 100 quid will get ya 6 and direct fit just get the plugs for each injector and snipped leaving a few inches of wire. There fine for 430 odd horse.

Yea forgot to mention that in my plans,will fire a set of 550s or whatever is for sale at the time before it's mapped.

What would be your choice then @Eager from experience? Spend a few grand on a top mount set up and probably never go over 450hp or go hybrid and see that 450 for a lot less money but maybe not with the same reliability? Seeing mixed reviews on the lag of the hybrids too,some people seeing full boost at 1800/2000 rpm and others not until 3500ish.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Personally I don't believe any stock framed turbo in any hybrid form can achieve more than 400 horse. Lots of billy bull figures claim lots more. And after about 1.3 bar they just start pumping to much hot air and inlet temps start to climb.

If your after a genuine proper 450 horse. Top mount it. Try maybe find a complete greedy td06 kit for full bolt on ease. Other than that 6 boost. Tial external gate. Gt3071 or gt3076. Only thing is. With 450 horse being generated in any way. It's still pushing the boundaries. I would think a top mount done properly will be safer though than boosting the balls out of a hybrid and pushing your map to the max.

My r34 was a fit car running a stage 4 hybrid, link g4 and 1.6 bar. Good fresh engine. Front entry plenum. All the right bits. But I still wouldn give it more than 400 tbh. Was still fit to spin 265 wide rubber in 3rd in dry however. Just so you know what a difference a proper 450 might be.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Not that any that helps make your decision any easier so I thought about how to put it differently

If you want a easy solution stick a hybrid on. If you want a good solution go top mount.

EP82JM

RMS Regular
OP
EP82JM
Good advice @Eager ill try look out for maybe a second hand too mount kit and get the turbo rebuilt if needs be. Just cant justify that money brand new lol

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
450 is a hard figure to achieve nicely in rb25. As it's just beyond a stock frame hybrid turbo. Yet.... To go top mount and do it right and run the turbo at it's optimum boost level you end up with enough power that could require forging the engine. Personally I would say, throw a hybrid on and get it mapped and see how you feel. If a year later you want more you will get 400/500 back all day long for the hybrid

EP82JM

RMS Regular
OP
EP82JM
450 is a hard figure to achieve nicely in rb25. As it's just beyond a stock frame hybrid turbo. Yet.... To go top mount and do it right and run the turbo at it's optimum boost level you end up with enough power that could require forging the engine. Personally I would say, throw a hybrid on and get it mapped and see how you feel. If a year later you want more you will get 400/500 back all day long for the hybrid

Probably the best option as I don't think I'll ever beyond 450,couldn't face the bill of forging lol so if I can achieve 400+ through the hybrid that will probably see me happy and once I get bored I'll just have to send it up the road.

I think i need another 33

Your problem is finding one to match/better your last one! Have you anything on the cards?

That R33 looks in incredible condition!

Cheers. It has a few small bits I want to sort out,cracked the front bumper when I hit a massive pothole in the work car park fs,and want to give the headlights a buff as they've gone a bit murky but if I sold it,which I've thought of doing a few times,I think I'd struggle to find one in similair condition.

Smurf.

RMS Regular
Drives
The odd time
Yeah mate i've bought a TRD edition chaser.its still in japan at minute. I've had 5 R33's think i need number 6.

EP82JM

RMS Regular
OP
EP82JM
I dare say the idea of another 33 will go out the window when the chaser lands! JZ > RB!

andy.

RMS Regular
Drives
MKVI GTI
A mate of mine had a skyline with an Hks2540 t3 figment, mapped by Richard with supported mods and a 4:6 diff and that was a seriously fast car, topped out at around 140-150 and took no time to get there.

As eager said stick with a hybrid then worry about more power later. If your not happy with the way it goes after the hybrid play with diff ratios they make a good difference and are cheap enough to buy and sell on.

andy.

RMS Regular
Drives
MKVI GTI
Dont know mate im a big nissan fan but thought id try something a little different

You will love the JZ! Great engine! Completely different note to an rb as well. A lot of the Nissan boys have been drawn to the JZ now. It's just so easy to get power out of them.

EP82JM

RMS Regular
OP
EP82JM
Got the rotas on today...can't make my mind up on whether the colour suits the car or not? Might sell them if they don't grow on me. Opinion?

20150701_205442_zpsziph4qe8.jpg

20150701_162256_zpsiaoayznv.jpg

20150701_162229_zpst1tjasgm.jpg

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
I don't know if they'd be my 1st choice, but they are very nice & I do like the colour. Different too! .. I say keep em (y)

sparkso

RMS Regular
33's taking shape nicely mate, you know you want to top mount it really :cool:

the wheels have me torn lol pic with the oil rig in the background and they look immense on the car, then the bottom pic and I'm not so sure.

I'd deff keep them on for a while though, I think they could be a grower lol

EP82JM

RMS Regular
OP
EP82JM
33's taking shape nicely mate, you know you want to top mount it really :cool:

the wheels have me torn lol pic with the oil rig in the background and they look immense on the car, then the bottom pic and I'm not so sure.

I'd deff keep them on for a while though, I think they could be a grower lol

That's the problem...the 2 bottom pictures show them closer to how they look in person lol. They are grey but have a big of a blue tinge to them which I don't like.

This is the colour they were originally,a dark bronze,I can't help but think they suited the car better like this...

a04cc3ef90ffefeb3cb782c118465187_zpsxwwiqy1h.jpg

Yea I think I'll get coilovers and drop the car a bit more and see how they look then,they stand me too much to just sell them now without trying them out lower first lol.

And I do want to top mount it,but I also want injectors,coilovers,bigger brakes,better clutch and **** knows what else so not too sure I can commit to buying a top mount kit lol

EP82JM

RMS Regular
OP
EP82JM
I don't know if they'd be my 1st choice, but they are very nice & I do like the colour. Different too! .. I say keep em (y)

Think I just picked a bad shade of grey,they look like they have a blue undercoat or something the way they are. And I'm definitely not paying to have them painted again! Lol. Time will tell I suppose just not 100% sold on them at the minute

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.