1988 Porsche 924S

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
@pablo and I have spent numerous hours recently perusing all the usual websites looking for an interesting bargain basement car for the upcoming Rusty Nuts Rally in September....details of the event here: http://reallymeansounds.com/forum/threads/rusty-nuts-rally-ni.163791/

We had considered a Ford Puma 1.7, Alfa GTV, XR3i convertible, E39 523i, 7-Series, XJ Jag, Cherokee and even a few different MG's....but thankfully none came to fruition. On Sunday night @Jas Lad posted details of a 924S for sale on Gumtree, so I called the number on the ad and it turned out it was him selling it!

Met up with Jason and his Dad on Monday night to view, had plenty of banter and eventually agreed a price to buy this piece of 1980's nostalgia. Doesn't run, no MOT and no tax, but what could possibly go wrong! :party:

Picked it up today and had a good look around it from a ramp, poked a few holes in the outer sills but other than that it's in reasonably good shape considering. There's a fair bit of surface rust underneath the car but nothing serious from what I can see so far. It's getting some bits welded tomorrow and checked over for MOT.

Brakes are all good having been replaced by Jason & his Dad within the last few years including brake lines (copper) and hoses too. Discs and pads all good, and even the tyres are legal, although they're very old and cracked.

When we get it back, we'll get to work underneath it with a wire brush set, some waxoyl and a few rattle cans!

It's the late model 924S, so it benefits from the same 2.5L engine as the early 944, so it's the Porsche engine rather than the early VW version. It's the M44.09 model for any of the Porsche beards on here (@KeithRobinson ) :p

Anyway, here are a few pics for now, we'll update the thread as we prepare for the Rusty Nuts Rally in September and thereafter. :grinning:

Currently not running, which we think is due to either this fuel pump, or a simple relay:

Rusty sill which is being welded up:

Love these wheels, all of them are unmarked too!

Underside not in bad shape considering:

Drivers side sill isn't too bad:

Jason

RMS Regular
Can't wait to see it up and running! Wonder is there a LSD in it??

btw i'd try bridging the relay connection pins first to see if the pump goes, fairly sure thats the issue!

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
OP
Woodcutter
Can't wait to see it up and running! Wonder is there a LSD in it??

We got it started earlier Jas, fired some brake clean into the air intake and she fired up straight away, so it's definitely a fuel starvation issue as you and your Dad said. Will try and by-pass the relay to see if that sorts it, failing that I'll just order a new pump.

Once it's running properly I'll let you know if there's a slippy diff in it! :p

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Awesome!

Some inspiration here
http://racer86.com/category/project-924/

IMG_9049.jpg
IMG_9059.jpg
IMG_9124-edit.jpg

Last edited:

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
1988-Porsche-924.jpg

Gold accents and 80s graphics combined with pastel coloured suits with the sleeves rolled up, driving shoes with no socks and a killer soundtrack.

Also get a big mobile phone.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Brilliant, would love to do something like this! Good luck with it and can't wait for the updates! (y)

Mark_C

RMS Regular
I really hope that's all it is! I've a 944 laying in the yard that I've had to replace the wiring loom, ecu, both sensors, fuel pump, coil and various other bits to get to run, as it was sitting about for years. Good luck!

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
OP
Woodcutter
I really hope that's all it is! I've a 944 laying in the yard that I've had to replace the wiring loom, ecu, both sensors, fuel pump, coil and various other bits to get to run, as it was sitting about for years. Good luck!

We had it running today, we're pretty certain it's fuel pump or DME relay. Fingers crossed....should know for sure tomorrow.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
F-reg - that must be one of the very very last 924s made!! Nice project. There's a guy on Gumtree always advertising breaking Porsches if you need anything. Good luck. Looks like fun!

Gambit

RMS Regular
They are cool, and as you say the better 2.5 lump! Should be a build sticker in the boot somewhere with a load of codes on it along with chassis number etc. 220 is the lsd fitted option code

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
I owned a 924s in white a few years back and it was a fun little car. Went quite well for all it was. Twitchy wee bugger at the back though, gave me a few brown trouser moments lol. Perfect for the job in hand

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.