1990 Bedford Rascal TL1000

heavyoilhenry

RMS Regular
Drives
GTTDi-Rascal TLr
More of a viewer than a poster so here goes.

1990 Bedford Rascal had in storage for about 5 years and decided to refurb last year. Coming of the road to have a bit more power fitted as the 44bhp on tap is a bit lame.

i16335.jpg

i16336.jpg

Fitting this to it next month. 99 Suzuki TLR 1000 V Twin 135bhp 105 nm torque. Should make a difference!!

IMG00028-20110421-2124.jpg

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Awesome (y) Nice to see an engine conversion for once that doesn't contain the words Hayabusa, Fireblade or Ninja! :p
Out of curiosity what gearbox/axle will you be running?

Doovde

Banned
Drives
Nothing ford/VAG
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2q4kfU7w4I&feature=related]YouTube - ZZR Truck[/ame]

Saunts

RMS Regular
haha! the ninja rascal doing the stoppie on youtube is hilarious!

this will be a brilliant project!

PacMan

Banned
Drives
Impreza
Scrapped one of these pick-ups in work a few years back, because we couldn't find an engine for it!

heavyoilhenry

RMS Regular
OP
heavyoilhenry
Drives
GTTDi-Rascal TLr
Will be running off the bike gearbox to a chain sprocket drive to get the proper ratio for the axle. Using the rascal axle at the moment but will be changed to ae86 twin-cam axle with a 1.5 way LSD and axle/half-shafts shortened to suit the rascal wheel track.

Bryan

RMS Regular
Spotted this over on Rascal Enthusiasts before.... looks well.

I have a set of similar wheels still in their boxes waiting to go on one of mine. I did want to go down the motorbike engine route but I'm putting a 1.6 engine in my camper instead.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Spotted this somewhere yesterday, caught my eye!

Looks the part, will be hairy with the bike engine in it.

yamaharaptorturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
yamaharaptorturb
this is frickin fantastic! , neighbour had one as a field car, he put it on its side in seconds (very tippy), climbed out and righted it by himself lol. its bound to have decent performance considering weight, but i wouldnt like to corner it! cant wait to see how it progresses!

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
That is awesome!!! Looking forward to the updates!!

Wheels are quality, are they minilights/superlights?

Bryan

RMS Regular
this is frickin fantastic! , neighbour had one as a field car, he put it on its side in seconds (very tippy), climbed out and righted it by himself lol. its bound to have decent performance considering weight, but i wouldnt like to corner it! cant wait to see how it progresses!

I'd say the pickup would be ok to drive - the vans are dead on too if you're sensible.

My Bambi camper (Bedford Rascal - Suzuki Supercarry) is another matter entirely though. Cornering with a caravan plonked on top of a pickup is one of the most scary driving experiences ever - but you do get used to it!

I'd love a wee pickup to add to my collection but they make big money now because of the stupid Nigerian exporters!

heavyoilhenry

RMS Regular
OP
heavyoilhenry
Drives
GTTDi-Rascal TLr
They are 7X13 Superlites. I wasn't going to go down the bike engine route either, this bike came up at the right money (was still mot'd!) and nothing beats the thump out of a good V-Twin. Will make people wonder whats in it ;). Bryan seen you over there on Rascal Enthusiasts before You must be local to me, You have a good few projecs on the go!

heavyoilhenry

RMS Regular
OP
heavyoilhenry
Drives
GTTDi-Rascal TLr
conversion started, engine and original box out. Bike engine in position and cradle being fabricated up. Will post pics up later.