1990 Bedford Rascal TL1000

heavyoilhenry

RMS Regular
OP
heavyoilhenry
Drives
GTTDi-Rascal TLr
Engine mounted in using the original mounting points. Need to remove now to weld up frame , gusset and tidy all up. Going better than I expected. :laughing:

IMG00041-20110505-2209.jpg

IMG00040-20110505-2209.jpg

StephenMcC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
would love to hear one of these with a Vmax Engine 1200 V4 With 147bhp :laughing:

Sounds Like A Mini V8 With The Silencers Off :laughing:

Teaser!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyqWX-NdJYA&feature=related"]YouTube - 2007 VMAX UFO[/ame]

Bryan

RMS Regular
Impressive work! It's much easier on the pickup though with no floor to contend with!

How do you plan to connect the prop shaft to the sprocket?

I spent yesterday taking the engine out of one of my vans and it was quite a pain in the ass. It blew the head gasket so I'm having to replace the engine but it's just going standard again.

heavyoilhenry

RMS Regular
OP
heavyoilhenry
Drives
GTTDi-Rascal TLr
frame all welded up and gusseted. now for the fun bit getting the drive from the engine to the axle sorted with an electric reverse!!

IMG00044-20110507-1745.jpg

Bryan

RMS Regular
Looking good... how are you connecting it to the propshaft? Can you buy a sprocket adapter for that engine?

PS - have you still got the old engine and box?

heavyoilhenry

RMS Regular
OP
heavyoilhenry
Drives
GTTDi-Rascal TLr
Getting an adapter sleeve made up that fits over original motorbike sprocket. This runs a shaft with a large sprocket which then powers a smaller sprocket on another shaft by chain which has the electric reverse and the flange for the propshaft. This allows you to get the correct ratio for the drive. Bike has 2.4-1 ratio on 17" wheels, Rascal is 5.1-1 ratio on 13" wheels. Direct drive to the bike engine would leave you doing 59mph on the limiter in 6th!!!!!

Gonna keep the engine at the moment in case all goes tits up!! When time to sell it will let you know Bryan.

forde

RMS Regular
Drives
Vectra SRi
thats awesome going to be some note off the TL motor everyone will be like wtf

heavyoilhenry

RMS Regular
OP
heavyoilhenry
Drives
GTTDi-Rascal TLr
Surprised with the work completed!! Engine loom completed, exhausts, fuel, and dash done. Engine fired up last nite and sounds clean mental!!!

IMG00049-20110515-1616.jpg

IMG00047-20110512-2145.jpg

heavyoilhenry

RMS Regular
OP
heavyoilhenry
Drives
GTTDi-Rascal TLr
A small vid of the engine running!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzxJMhTroDQ"]YouTube - ‪tl 1000 rascal‬‏[/ame]

heavyoilhenry

RMS Regular
OP
heavyoilhenry
Drives
GTTDi-Rascal TLr
Few more snaps of the progress. Engine now has clutch connected up, gears connected, and coolant system finished. Running like a beaut. Bought a dynojet power commander as well to boost her up a little LOL 8o|

dash fitted
PICT0119.jpg

left side view
PICT0118.jpg

Right side view
PICT0117.jpg

Just waiting on driveshafts/flanges to be fabricated up.

Excuse the crap quality photos!

Cess

RMS Staff
One of the best threads on RMS at the moment. Keep the progress reports coming. Thoroughly enjoy reading about this project.

heavyoilhenry

RMS Regular
OP
heavyoilhenry
Drives
GTTDi-Rascal TLr
Small update. Powercommander arrived and 1st part of drive assembly that fits onto bike sprocket made and fitted.

IMG00054-20110611-1922.jpg

heavyoilhenry

RMS Regular
OP
heavyoilhenry
Drives
GTTDi-Rascal TLr
first shaft fitted and tested. Ran up to speed in 6th and quiet as a mouse. Lightweight flywheel with ring gear for electric reverse also made up and balanced. Starting to fit the second and final shaft now. Big shout out to exact engineering / Newry motor works fellas for the excellent work they have done on the drive system machining.

IMG00055-20110616-2303.jpg

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
i have never seen an adapter like that, thats very cool looking !

I am no engineer, but would it be strong enough ? the links of a chain would be braced on both side of the tooth of the sprocket, where as the studs above are only fastened on the adapter side , would a jolt from the engine not be able to strip the studs off the adapter.

Dont think for a second i am critiquing the design , im certainly no expert, just interested in how it works :grinning:

heavyoilhenry

RMS Regular
OP
heavyoilhenry
Drives
GTTDi-Rascal TLr
More than strong enough! There is 17 10mm hardened pins pressed in the adapter. On the original chain has the joiner, links but there is the pins which join them and they are only about 3mm.

Got the mock up of the second shaft with the electric reverse flywheel, sprocket test fitted for dimensions for length and drive flange position last nite. Am now armed with the length of the driveshaft required and position and going to leave it in tomorrow to start to be made.

th_IMG00056-20110620-2211.jpg
th_IMG00057-20110620-2211.jpg