Bit of rough!!!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Judderman

RMS Member
Drives
1990 VW Taro
Hi all,

good to meet you all, i found my way here after mooching through google images and found myself looking at my own truck !! which lead me to here :grinning:
As the dates show on folk's posts this thread is ancient but i still do own that truck, albeit a little different looking to what it looked like back then. Though it wasnt that garage i bought it from, oddly it found its way to London, On the Bow road to be exact. It is a VW Taro the only difference between that and a Hilux is the badgework, vin code & that it was built in Hamburg. Everything on it is toyota the engine is a 2.2 4Y petrol engine

this is how it sits now :

25072011355.jpg

along with a back bumper made by me

backbumperon1.jpg

The interior had to change, no carpet no nothing just grey plastic everywhere

Dash-2.jpg

And thats how she sits to this day, apart from the towbar i had no use for that acting as a huge ground anchor.

Judderman

RMS Member
Drives
1990 VW Taro
thankyou all for the kind comments & nice welcome :grinning: its nice to know its been modified in the right direction, so damn easy to get it wrong. I'd say over the top but with this thing i dont think i can apply that same logic as you can to a car.

theres plenty more pics if anyones interested in a look see :

the engine was just run of the mill black paint and rust everywhere, cant be doing with a crappy looking engine so :

engine-4.jpg

the newst addition to it is :

IMAG0103.jpg

The sunvisors have a dvd player in each one, you can also watch freeview on em too. The sound ive setup to go through an FM modulator through the head unit on a set frequency so the sound comes through the truck speakers ( 8 in all ) plus a 8" underseat subwoofer... transformers on the drivers side screen sounds bloody awesome !!! lol

she does attend the odd show and shine event too :

gt500andtaro-1.jpg

Judderman

RMS Member
Drives
1990 VW Taro
oh yeah the VW badge has made its way back onto the grille, with a bit of help from a dremel. The toyota one i had for a while as the pics show above as it was the only way to get a chrome one, even so i modified it with round hole perforated sheet to cover over the horizontal slats :

badgeontruck.jpg

and with some careful spelling and alternative use for a "touran" badge i made a taro badge as the originals are as rare as rocking horse shat, the grille badge is normally used on a bootlid of a mk4 golf :

IMAG0106.jpg

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I had no idea VW made such a wagon. I need one!!!!!!!

Very cool indeed (y)

Dare I ask if it sees any serious off road action?

Judderman

RMS Member
Drives
1990 VW Taro
Theyre quite rare mate, they were made from 1989-1994 under the taro badge basically toyota needed european sales and vw needed a 1 ton truck so a deal was done. The VW badged Hilux's were made in Hamburg over in germany so rust prevention is a bit better compared to their far eastern cousins and african made relatives.

Thanks muchly for the kind comment mate, trucks like this are never finished as im sure you know as theres always something to be done,do or modify lol.

As far as offroading goes, apart from the odd couple of inch snowfall that makes Britain the laughing stock of the entire planet and a very tidy money maker for me towing people out of ditches ive took it offroad twice, handles as well as it should being leaf spring all round so very little pitch or yaw, though i darent now as ive spent a small fortune turning it into a shine machine i darent do it, though it is always good to know it can if need be.
the local car park meets round here i tend to stay away from as all i get asked is "how fast can it go" to which i reply "you can go fast, i can go anywhere" just a better way of saying 0-60mph takes a planetary cycle and the top end..... honestly and truthfully on 3ft diameter tyres, 7.5ft from floor to top of the spotlamps, leaf springs all round 80mph is more than enough ! :laughing:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I don't even attempt 80 in the Jeep and it's like a low slung sports car compared to your Taro lol :p

Judderman

RMS Member
Drives
1990 VW Taro
Lol i dont blame ya mate, though in this thing its quite deafening too, moreso now as its been debaffled and powerflowed since this vid so you get the idea.

apologies for the sound quality i filmed it on my old phone, i keep meaning to take another vid cus since then as ive took the baffles out the stacks & got powerflow to sort out a free-flo midbox and Y-branch the 2 stacks properly, does sound nice now along with a K&N element you can hear it sucking air in through the snorkel and blowing it out the back. When chokes on it rally pops like a right swine, Hold the revs just about ready to change gear...but dont for 10 secs or so then let off it lets off an allmightly BLAT !!! had it flame once, i bloody shat meself lol :laughing:

Judderman

RMS Member
Drives
1990 VW Taro
Thank y'all very very much :laughing: its always nice to know the hours ya put in are appreciated. Ive had a quick mooch at other folk's motors here, theres some lovely looking motors on here that are very smartly done. It should be me saying fair play to you lot on here & another thank you to everyone on here to make us feel welcome as some sites dont like the fact that its a toyota in vw badgework they think im taking the piss, how i dunno but its a taro made by vw in hamburg its got VW on the vin... nope not enough for some of the vw purists. Y'know i went to a local show n shine not an all out vw show or owt round here not so long back, i parked next to a row of transporters and caddy's thinking ill stick with the commerical side of vw to form a theme like. After 10 mins of chuntering and muttering of the people walking past they all moved away from me and parked over by the beetles. Kinda makes me wary now of what i enter it to and where i park it lol.

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
OP
RMS_CLK
lol, what a coincidence. Truck looks amazing, you have certainly looked after it!!!!
I remember at the time I had an A4 photo off it hanging on my toolbox in work.
Never ended up getting one, but still love em!!!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.