Carport Build Thread

Cro

RMS Regular
Little update on mine, finally got the cladding up on the underside. Just a few lights to put in and it’ll do nicely on the darker evenings.

Tried to match the front in to the house, pebble dash is harder than it looks, definitely an art. Gave it a go and it looked like I was recreating a 1st year space constellation project. Far too hard to get an even spread of stones. So this is as good as it’ll get.

‘Roofspace’ boarded out and plenty of space to store car parts I haven’t bought yet etc

Some trim around the roof edge and some guttering into a water butt I can use for final car wash ( woeful hard water here) and that’s me done. Cost so far £870

8AAC0870-D357-4B81-92B9-C2DFE17F8282.jpeg
AE036E4E-8673-4400-A892-8AD0707F8309.jpeg

B1C26A82-C3B2-494F-A803-9455940FCB33.jpeg

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
That looks the part... as said I wish I was that handy

I’ve been thinking about a car port again recently too... we are lucky enuff that there’s a reinforced wall beside us so could mount quite easily from our gable to that

Loving the storage you have there too

Reactions: Cro

j2112

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F36
I’ve been thinking of a carport too, but it would need to be freestanding due to the layout of the house and garden.

r16vka

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi 80 V6
Meant to update this thread, got the Clear Roofing, Guttering and Flashing all done, finished it off really well (y)

31743021130_9524693126_c.jpg

31308221403_f0fac538eb_c.jpg

@chrisd1 That looks like exactly what i need for my driveway, im tight for width so big timber posts are a no go.

Who supplied the metalwork, and any idea how much the whole thing has cost?

Cro

RMS Regular
Id be tempted to let it be a year or so let the neighbours get used to it then build some walls and a set of doors at each end.
I think there’s something in the regs that it needs to be open on 2 sides. Plus my boiler flue would exit into it. I’d thought about a roller door at the front and maybe a slatted side but though it would be overkill for all I need it to do

colin84

RMS Regular
Little update on mine, finally got the cladding up on the underside. Just a few lights to put in and it’ll do nicely on the darker evenings.

Tried to match the front in to the house, pebble dash is harder than it looks, definitely an art. Gave it a go and it looked like I was recreating a 1st year space constellation project. Far too hard to get an even spread of stones. So this is as good as it’ll get.

‘Roofspace’ boarded out and plenty of space to store car parts I haven’t bought yet etc

Some trim around the roof edge and some guttering into a water butt I can use for final car wash ( woeful hard water here) and that’s me done. Cost so far £870

View attachment 212649 View attachment 212650
View attachment 212651

That is a great job, but when I look at the roof space I just think about how many spiders will be in there lol.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Thinking about a lean-to carport at the back of the the house; approx 8m long. Width tapers from 4.2 to 5.4m. Supports at the low end will be mounted on a 4ft high wall.
It will be fairly high to accommodate a motorhome. Both end completely open.

Is there really much difference in strength/quality between one constructed in
1. wood,
2. steel (galv'd)
3. one of those pre-fab ones like how the steel sheds are made.

Open minded about roof but want at least some clear panels or possibly all clear.

Budget is the main factor. I'm guessing wood is the cheapest?
Do I need it tanalised?

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T

View attachment 212649 View attachment 212650
View attachment 212651

I need you to pop round to mine and build one of these.

• Haha
Reactions: Cro

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
I think there’s something in the regs that it needs to be open on 2 sides. Plus my boiler flue would exit into it. I’d thought about a roller door at the front and maybe a slatted side but though it would be overkill for all I need it to do
Can someone clarify the “open on two sides” bit? I’ve seen it mentioned on different sites but I’m not sure if that’s an England only thing as our rules differ slightly and I don’t have the patience to get through the actual legislation…

I think @svensktoppen has a roller door and brickwork at the front? I’d love to emulate that; basically the look of a garage from the front and a bit more protection for future cars than a wind tunnel at the side of the house.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
Can someone clarify the “open on two sides” bit? I’ve seen it mentioned on different sites but I’m not sure if that’s an England only thing as our rules differ slightly and I don’t have the patience to get through the actual legislation…

I think @svensktoppen has a roller door and brickwork at the front? I’d love to emulate that; basically the look of a garage from the front and a bit more protection for future cars than a wind tunnel at the side of the house.
As far as I’m aware there’s no laws here if it’s a wooden or steel frame, as it’s a temporary structure like a lean to shed , only regs are height within certain boundaries and overall size to sqm of entire property, used to be all on the ni planning website

Cro

RMS Regular

Building regs ni states

“ a carport, open on at least two sides, or a covered way or similar structure at ground level is exempt, provided it does not exceed 30m2 in area”

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
Building regs ni states

“ a carport, open on at least two sides, or a covered way or similar structure at ground level is exempt, provided it does not exceed 30m2 in area”

So potentially Building Control application but still no planning required for a timber framed, fully enclosed structure? How did you manage @svensktoppen

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I think as long as it's tidy, matches the basic style of the house etc and they get no objections, it should be grand. I see plenty that look like they are made from materials stolen from skips, that haven't been removed.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I think as long as it's tidy, matches the basic style of the house etc and they get no objections, it should be grand. I see plenty that look like they are made from materials stolen from skips, that haven't been removed.
I got a galvanized steel one built at the back of my house and the fitter said that because it's at the back and not visible from the front, then it's unlikely to be a bother. It's big enough to cover a motorhome.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
So potentially Building Control application but still no planning required for a timber framed, fully enclosed structure? How did you manage @svensktoppen
It's a steel frame with wood slats down the side, and has just been pebble dashed at the front to match the house. It cannot be extended beyond the front of the house and a few other measurements like that, but that is it basically. The roller door at the front might be a bit of a grey area with the "two open ends" thing to technically count as a "car port", but then again you are also allowed to put up sheds and lean-toos, conversions, and all sorts of other enclosed structures to essentially the same regs. Nobody has ever complained.

As long as it is neat and tidy and doesn't look like it is about to fall down on someone then you should be fine. Always worth having a word with your neighbours first just to make sure there are no surprises/objections, but that is really just common courtesy anyway.