Coogs multifaceted fleet

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Coming on well mate. Are you planning on wheels etc as per those other photos posted? They do look absolutely fantastic.

Also, MGF?!

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Not sure yet Lyons. Trying to keep it a budget build and things like banded steels would double the cost of the project and make it drive worse (or certainly no better). They look great though.

Yeah it's my father-in-laws MGF. It's been sitting at his for years so I took it on as a project this winter in exchange for a nice warm dry garage for the MK3 GTi lol :p

mthompo

RMS Regular
Drives
Too much...
I have been looking at the lane rallies myself hence why don't want to spend alot on midget bodywork wise because if I did I wouldn't wanna use it lol the caterham has had to much spent on it should be finished very soon but won't be out too much as dont want to ruin it shame I didn't really care before as bodywork was ruff now it's went to far the other way and don't want to hit it or ruin it. Will be out for the odd sprint and hill especially cultra! The midget going to be the new tack hag and weekend toy :grinning:

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Come have a look mate and see for yourself. I can give you a few pointers too if you like. I made mistakes on the bonnet and it looks a bit dodgy, but got it OK everywhere else. Good thing about it is that if I smash a wing, etc I grab any colour, any condition replacement and stick it on & fix & paint it myself in a day for next to nothing now instead of trying to find a colour match or taking it to a body shop.

I'd also like to do a hill climb, need a license though but should be fun to get it.

mthompo

RMS Regular
Drives
Too much...
Hill climb licence easy its £39 quid fill in form photo job done:grinning:

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
£40 ish for the license last time i had mine.

Can't wait to see it out :laughing:

Miles has to man the feck up at some point too.

I've just sold the blue Midget, so plans are going ahead for the red one again :laughing:

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Frig that looks a fantastic job when out in the daylight! Some skillz lad :p

Black spoiler a nice wee touch :laughing: Lamin-x the lights now ;)

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
prepare to remortgage the house if you wanna do the whole underside

well imagine what we put Wills midget through on a weekly basis - it has held up to all of that.

I would consider welding in skids and deflectors to prevent rock and stone damage though - oh and big feckin mudflaps, like mid-ulster spec yokes

Just coming back to this as I near the end of the project. When you say to weld in skids and deflectors - where would you put them and by flaps I assume you mean the big rubbery rally style ones? I'm a bit confused as to what I need to do. Is there somewhere you'd recommend to take the car to to get a few plates welded on (my welding is average at best)?

I can't find a navigator I'd trust for the nav rallys and although the auto tests look fun I don't think they'll be my thing. The lanes rallys and hillclimbs look like good craic but I'm clueless on what prep work I should do. I want to do it as cheaply as possible but I want to make sure the car remains undamaged, plus I'd also like to keep it in reasonably good shape for the odd roof down run out if the sun ever comes out.

Another problem I have is suspension. I don't think a one size fits all option is available without spending big money. The current suspension, although tired, should be OK for onroad but probably too low for offroad. I had considered using a set of spring spacers I have lying in the workshop but I really don't know whether they'd be any good or not.

Advice needed lol

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
If your wanting to hill climb the car it doesn't need much mate...

negative lead off battery wrapped in yellow tape, timing beam breaker on the front bumper which has to be a certain size and distance from ground, something on ign with an arrow and off to allow someone to kill ign in case of trouble, door numbers clearly readable, helmet, suit, gloves all to the bluebook spec and i think thats it :laughing:

oh and all the interior must be in tact and you must have mot and tax for class 2 road going ;)

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
MOT'd :laughing:

2 degrees and roof down on the way home which was refreshing (heating not directing air properly) but bloody good fun, in fact the most fun I've had on public roads in a very long time. I also obviously had to take small(ish) diversion to *cough* avoid any *cough* protest/riot hot spots *cough* :innocent:

I think I'll tax it next month and just get it out as much as possible. Never has going for a run in the car seemed so appealing.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Yeah it was over getting the exhaust sorted. After seeing the job he did on Grahams I thought I'd get it over to him to do mine. Had it in the air today for a good poke and he's done a belting job to be fair. Recommended.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Coog did you go for a uk style or jap style front plate or a sticker on the bumper as an excuse for a plate like i done ?

looks real well in the images of it outside :laughing:

Daniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
Yeah it was over getting the exhaust sorted. After seeing the job he did on Grahams I thought I'd get it over to him to do mine. Had it in the air today for a good poke and he's done a belting job to be fair. Recommended.

Good to hear, I was planning on going to them myself. Had a word with a few people & I keep getting the same response - pricey but worth it.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Coog did you go for a uk style or jap style front plate or a sticker on the bumper as an excuse for a plate like i done ?

looks real well in the images of it outside :laughing:

I made a bracket up and used the jap plate. I've a sticker plate coming though.
IMAG0547.jpg

No better time for topless motoring than winter - fact! (y) :cool:

Agree. It was great fun lol

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Good to hear, I was planning on going to them myself. Had a word with a few people & I keep getting the same response - pricey but worth it.

It wasn't cheap but now that I had a look at the work I'm happy with what I paid.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Stuck a set of autolink springs in and kept the standard bilsteins for now. If anything it's probably a little higher but the springs needed changed as the car was lopsided which I later discovered to be because the o/s front strut hadn't been assembled properly lol. Also put the number plate on the front. Had to take it a quick run to make sure nothing was going to fall off obviously. Couple of hours later....... :innocent:

IMAG0568.jpg

IMAG0572.jpg

IMAG0574.jpg

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
That car just looks like great craic! I'd love a spirited drive in an mx-5 to see what they are all about!