Cruise for Cancer 2015 Afterthoughts

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I would say we gained a couple of grand from being able to charge cars in at the pits, which we weren't able to do in a public car park.

And quite rightly so, that's when I paid. If you wanted to be part of it, you should make a donation.

I heard story's last year of people parking outside and walking in which I was disgusted by.

WSM

RMS Regular
Drives
R8
It's amazing that happens @G N K and, sadly, I don't doubt it. @Marc.W charging to 'enter' is going to guarantee the money so I'm glad you were able to do that! Gutted I couldn't make it yesterday had some stuff on in the morning unfortunately :worried:

Mickylad

RMS Regular
Drives
M2Comp/i3
Unfortunately there's no monopoly on the use of the roads so cyclists and other road users will always be a problem to contend with and the nature of the coast road means sitting in long lines of traffic waiting for a safe place to pass (although I have heard some took a few dicey risks anyway !!)

Am I not correct in thinking that cyclists/motorists need to let the PSNI know if they have a planned road race?

Mel

RMS Regular
Drives
S3
Yeh @Mel and @G N K that was me at the ST with the 50cal glaze....it's funny we can talk here on the forum but face to face we get all shy and im as guilty of this as others.

Your car really does live up to the username, it looked really well and was literally gleaming.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
£12k is a bloody amazing amount of money to raise in a single day, well done to everyone who played a part in that effort.

Missed it this year, but thoroughly enjoyed it the last couple of years.

gmcbride

RMS Regular
Drives
MK6 Jetta
I was one of the said cyclists, Cycling club up there and had an event on but did no know about the cfc until a few days before, so this will definetly be put into consideration for next year no doubt.

I know that getting stuck behind a cyclist can be annoying (especially if they dont know how to ride on the road) but club cyclists do in general adhere to road rules and try to single up and wave drivers on although I know that there are some exceptions! I will probably get a torrent of abuse but anyway some of the driving by a small number of cars travelling was just dangerous, in particular a good few on R plates, getting so close, reving engines and hanging out windows to yell on the way past! Most drivers passed safely and gave us a wave/beep but I feel that some spoil the view of these type of cruises for all by acting the idiot. Whatever your view on whether cyclists should or should not be on the road at the end of the day there is a person on a bike with nothing but a helmet to protect them...and odds are if involved in a collison in a car at best will sustain serious injuries.

This may not involve guys/girls in this forum but just feel something had to be said as there was some crazy driving yesterday, the cycle ride was for chartiy as was the cruise, so i feel that two events to raise money for good causes could at least share respect for each other. Hope this doesnt seem too unreasonable.

avo5021

RMS Regular
Am I not correct in thinking that cyclists/motorists need to let the PSNI know if they have a planned road race?

It's one of those things covered by the Parades Commision believe it or not, not sure what numbers etc require notification though. It's one of those stupid things only unique to this Country lol

warren

RMS Photographer
Had a really good time on this yesterday, getting out of the car park in carrick and into the pits in Portrush was like hell but the drive in between was fantastic. Will do it again next year I'm sure. Had the roof down most of the way so I've a reasonably sunburnt face lol

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
I was one of the said cyclists, Cycling club up there and had an event on but did no know about the cfc until a few days before, so this will definetly be put into consideration for next year no doubt.

I know that getting stuck behind a cyclist can be annoying (especially if they dont know how to ride on the road) but club cyclists do in general adhere to road rules and try to single up and wave drivers on although I know that there are some exceptions! I will probably get a torrent of abuse but anyway some of the driving by a small number of cars travelling was just dangerous, in particular a good few on R plates, getting so close, reving engines and hanging out windows to yell on the way past! Most drivers passed safely and gave us a wave/beep but I feel that some spoil the view of these type of cruises for all by acting the idiot. Whatever your view on whether cyclists should or should not be on the road at the end of the day there is a person on a bike with nothing but a helmet to protect them...and odds are if involved in a collison in a car at best will sustain serious injuries.

This may not involve guys/girls in this forum but just feel something had to be said as there was some crazy driving yesterday, the cycle ride was for chartiy as was the cruise, so i feel that two events to raise money for good causes could at least share respect for each other. Hope this doesnt seem too unreasonable.

I found 99% of the cyclists yesterday to be courteous. I would always treat them like a car when overtaking and leave plenty of room which a few seemed to appreciate judging by the waves and thumbs up

Marc.W

RMS Regular
Drives
Lupo GTI
The only genuine complaints I've seen about the cyclists were that some groups were Lorry length making passing impossible, or 3/4 wide.

gmcbride

RMS Regular
Drives
MK6 Jetta
It's one of those things covered by the Parades Commision believe it or not, not sure what numbers etc require notification though. It's one of those stupid things only unique to this Country lol

the cycle race was notified to the police, they closed the road near the start for us but gave no further assistance! Glad to hear that you found most cyclists to be courteous! yes understand with a big bunch it is hard to get past, hopefully next year it will be better as the causway cycling club are now aware of the cfc! :grinning:

O.C.D

RMS Regular
Hi @gmcbride i suppose it was just a bit of unfortunate planning that so many bikes and so many cars had to share the same roads yesterday. hope your day went well and as for the roots who can't pass a cyclist without acting the big lad in front of their mates what can one say .

O.C.D

RMS Regular
Your car really does live up to the username, it looked really well and was literally gleaming.
Thanks for your kind comments @Mel it was the odd wee rain shower that forced me to get the glaze out..i really don't like touching the paint work with a cloth after a long drive like yesterday because of the dust and bits you pick up and end up trailing it all over the car but a light coat of glaze didn't do much harm (i hope) love that 50cal cover up glaze don't think it would be up to much as in a paint protection but as a quick wipe down at a show or the like i think it's great.

Regards Mark.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.