Dashcams and Dashcam Footage

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Must be one of those mystery cyclists Stevieturbo sees all the time

No mystery about it, and I've always said cyclists and motorist run red lights. Just given number of cyclists vs number of motorists, more cyclists do it.

No doubt it's a cyclist dust driving a van today though as it's cold and wet ;)

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
In fairness, that ought to be allowed in that particular situation, when turning left. If the road is free to the right, there should be no reason to hang around at the traffic lights. Like it is an America (right turn in their case, just go if the road is free to the left).

That said, it takes a special fool to jump a red light in a car here. Nobody expects it, and there will be nowhere to go for anyone.

On a bike/on foot, when safe to do so, sure. A lot easier to get out of the way on a bike if need be, and often safer to get a head start on traffic than having everyone try to force their way past at the lights. But never in a car.

You should see traffic light phasing down south. It's mental. It's as if they want people to run red lights they're so stupid. It seems all of them have no intelligent controls whatsoever. Always going through set timed phases regardless of traffic. And in the early hours when roads are empty, they seem to change at random mostly to red when vehicles come near !

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
You should see traffic light phasing down south. It's mental. It's as if they want people to run red lights they're so stupid. It seems all of them have no intelligent controls whatsoever. Always going through set timed phases regardless of traffic. And in the early hours when roads are empty, they seem to change at random mostly to red when vehicles come near !

There are a few in Portadown and Lurgan like that. Once specifically in Lurgan turns red once you trigger the sensor down the road and another in Portadown that only allows 1 line of traffic to go at any 1 time.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yep, plenty of mad traffic lights. Never mind the ones inside roundabouts, lol :grinning:

Would still not take a car through a red one, no matter how stupid. A bike though, sure, no problem :p

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Lol, agree with Stevie there :grinning:

Both of you were probably in the wrong lanes there.

Dubious lane markings (almost absent)... But looked like they were in their lane (broke no lines). You were not (broke a line). Also, the straight ahead arrow was in the left-hand lane when you went into the roundabout.

Dubious markings for sure. No direction arrows in your lane on entry. Never mind the lane markings on the exit. If there is a two-lane exit, there should be two lanes marked out of the roundabout. In that case, they would have broken a line (in order to continue going right) which would definitely have been wrong in that case. But could not see any such markings in the video.

The lanes might be curved in a circle (roundabout), but they are still lanes, and the normal rules apply.

Here it looks like maybe you were actually in the wrong yourself, a little bit :grinning:

But the markings were less than clear.

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
They were somewhat in the wrong..but at the same time, I'd have preferred to have been in the left lane for the route you were going.

Got to agree with you on this one the Peugeot was in the wrong lane but so was the car with the camera fitted

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Yeah I know but everyone at all the roundabouts in Bangor use both lanes for straight on.

She def should not have been going right that's for sure

The Highway Code says left lane for 1st exit, right lane for last exit, and the 'appropriate' lane for intermediate exits. Other than on mini roundabouts it does not stipulate that you MUST do anything (i.e there is no law as to which exit to use)

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
David isnt in the wrong lane, he has every right to use the lane he did. But it's a small roundabout and traffic seemed light...and with a dummy in the left already, the left would have been more prudent.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
Get lots of incidents like this around Craigavon where there are 8 roundabouts on a "dual carriageway". I tend to come to expect this sort of driving on them now and always hang back if there is someone in the other lane, just incase.

big cyril

RMS Regular
Get lots of incidents like this around Craigavon where there are 8 roundabouts on a "dual carriageway". I tend to come to expect this sort of driving on them now and always hang back if there is someone in the other lane, just incase.

Absolutely - the last thing you want to be depending on is someone else doing what you expect on a roundabout.

KevM

RMS Regular
I've had my passenger wing mirror folded in by another car straight-lining the hillsborough roundabout before, close!!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
That all happened fairly quickly !

I came across the one at Dunadry a few weeks back in the early hours. Looked like a sprinter van had went through it and a branch stuck through the windscreen
Lucky enough the bridge itself stopped a lot of the fall.

Attachments

• DSC01427 (Medium).JPG
    DSC01427 (Medium).JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 155