DOE are at it again

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Someone send this to Jalopnik they love OTT commercials like this lol

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
OP
stevieturbo
Drives
Old Ford
And now we hear on the radio today DRD/DOE crying about not having enough money to fix potholes.

Any ****ing wonder throwing it away on stupid videos !

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
I saw a similar tractor on the road today, but thankfully there was no Corsa to try to coherce me into a race, so we all made it home safely (y) phew

colin84

RMS Regular
There are so many things wrong with that pile of ***** that I wouldn't know were to start.

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
RMS should do it's own video for free to the doe. Would be 100% better.

We can wreck a prius also. Everyone will be happy.

Turbokid89

RMS Regular
Drives
E34,e36M3,skoda

Why wreck a Prius kill a 306 first then a bora etc next then the roads will look better

big cyril

RMS Regular

Indeed, I wonder what the evidence base for road safety is ie what actually causes the most accidents, not subjective, but objective evidence based facts.

I suspect the ads don't reflect this at all, we need the things which actually cause fatal and serious injury rta's to be put in the public domain.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Indeed, I wonder what the evidence base for road safety is ie what actually causes the most accidents, not subjective, but objective evidence based facts.

I suspect the ads don't reflect this at all, we need the things which actually cause fatal and serious injury rta's to be put in the public domain.
The stats are available, it's something like 10 percent speeding, 70 driver inattentiveness. Speeding is easier to detect though, so gets the most stigma attached.

big cyril

RMS Regular
The stats are available, it's something like 10 percent speeding, 70 driver inattentiveness. Speeding is easier to detect though, so gets the most stigma attached.

Any idea where to get these?

Just noticed recently the relatively small proportion of drivers who seem able to undertake basic tasks like staying on their own side of the road on corners and noticed how much more common this is than speeding.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
OP
stevieturbo
Drives
Old Ford
Sherlock said:
Topping the charge sheet is failing to look properly (the Smidsy factor – "Sorry mate, I didn't see you', relevant in 20.5 per cent of fatals involving driver error)

No **** Sherlock. I've been saying that long before that report was done. As if it isnt bloody obvious !

When was the last time the cops, DOE, etc etc carried out an eye test at the roadside ? Probably never.

EP3 James

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon Cupra
im not sure how id feel if a police officer asked me for to take a eye test at the road side, "tell me, can you see the green or red better?" lol

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
First thing I did on my driving test , before even setting foot in a car , was an "eye test" . Had to read the reg of a car sitting in the carpark. Wouldn't be hard for police to do that if they pull you over. It would make more sense than some of the other things they do !

EP3 James

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon Cupra
First thing I did on my driving test , before even setting foot in a car , was an "eye test" . Had to read the reg of a car sitting in the carpark. Wouldn't be hard for police to do that if they pull you over. It would make more sense than some of the other things they do !

i agree it may be more useful than some of the things the police do but at the same time, that in itself wont determine a lot about someones ability to concentrate on the road imo. I think a hell of a lot of people still use their phone when driving and simply get distracted too easily.. could it be the countless gadgets and buttons in modern cars influencing any of this? we've probably all been guilty quite a few times of doing something we shouldnt have been while driving.
I think something should be different when determining if elderly people are fit to drive, some of the driving i see is completely ridiculous, they have no spacial awareness and react so slow. Not saying this for all elderly people but some of the driving i have seen is wild. Young people still have the "untouchable" mentality, im probably guilty of that myself sometimes. So many factors which need reassessed but its done? i really dont know..

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
I think it's pretty easy. If police just patrol the roads rather than sitting at the side of the road "catching" speeders at a few mph over a limit , they'd see everything we see. Sure , they'd be flat out pulling people over (we all see alot of stuff that drivers could be pulled for) but it would be more worthwhile to the safety of the roads IMO than being a bit over the limit. They could even catch speeders that way too , by following behind , or if someone passes them.

i agree it may be more useful than some of the things the police do but at the same time, that in itself wont determine a lot about someones ability to concentrate on the road imo. I think a hell of a lot of people still use their phone when driving and simply get distracted too easily.. could it be the countless gadgets and buttons in modern cars influencing any of this? we've probably all been guilty quite a few times of doing something we shouldnt have been while driving.
I think something should be different when determining if elderly people are fit to drive, some of the driving i see is completely ridiculous, they have no spacial awareness and react so slow. Not saying this for all elderly people but some of the driving i have seen is wild. Young people still have the "untouchable" mentality, im probably guilty of that myself sometimes. So many factors which need reassessed but its done? i really dont know..

EP3 James

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon Cupra
Yeah thats true, a lot needs re thinked but i doubt theyll change their ways

DEEJAY.B

RMS Regular
Drives
AUDI A4 Advant .
Meanwhile the rest of the UK point and laugh at us when they see these "saftey"
adverts for the first time . .

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
OP
stevieturbo
Drives
Old Ford
In all honesty there isnt much of a better way.

So you believe their idiotic speed campaigns will reduce deaths from incompetent drivers ?

Really...there IS a better way.

Speed isnt the problem, phones arent the problem, cars with no MOT or insurance arent the problem. None of those things are causing the accidents.

The people behind the wheel are the problem, lack of driver competence is the problem, assholes who refuse to use their eyes are the problem.
All the same causes of accidents there have been since people started driving.

So there is a lot more the police and other bodies could be doing to tackle road safety instead of the current road death policy they engage in.

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
So you believe their idiotic speed campaigns will reduce deaths from incompetent drivers ?

Really...there IS a better way.

Speed isnt the problem, phones arent the problem, cars with no MOT or insurance arent the problem. None of those things are causing the accidents.

The people behind the wheel are the problem, lack of driver competence is the problem, assholes who refuse to use their eyes are the problem.
All the same causes of accidents there have been since people started driving.

So there is a lot more the police and other bodies could be doing to tackle road safety instead of the current road death policy they engage in.
You really have a blinkered view stevie. So you are saying the things you mentioned above arent contributing to road deaths? Driving while on the phone, speeding, cars that arent insured or taxed?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.