F1 2012

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Vettel overtook Kobayashi under the red/yellow flag for slippery surface. no issue there.

what a race. what a year.

tim

RMS Regular
Vettel showing his true class once again coming from the back!

Such a shame for Lewis to end his time with McLaren with an DNF, but JB once again giving a master class in changeable conditions.

Incredible race!

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
To be honest I think its actually good he ended that way. He has been brought up by McL and raised to be "their star" as such, all the team will have massive sympathy and it will erode any bitterness for him leaving. if anything it will actually strengthen the bond for him and his former team.

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Sky coverage just confirmed that vettel overtook kobayashi under yellows, they went through it in detail and definitely was just a yellow flag. Kobayashi pitted straight after so vettel couldn't give the place back but to me that matters not, he should have got penalty.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Sky coverage just confirmed that vettel overtook kobayashi under yellows, they went through it in detail and definitely was just a yellow flag. Kobayashi pitted straight after so vettel couldn't give the place back but to me that matters not, he should have got penalty.

To be honest, if the championship were swung on a petty technicality like that "incident", then I have no doubt even Alonso would not want the trophy... Kobayashi slowed to pit, Vettel went round, nothing to get upset about.

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Totally agree that it would be sour and unnecessary for post race penalty however there is no saying he slowed to pit, there is no need to slow up in Brazil until very close to pit lane and this happened well before that! Any how it was a great race, roll on 2013!

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
You really have to feel for Alonso.

He was fighting to the wire for the championship in a car that had mid-field pace for much of the season.

That just goes to show what a phenomenal racer and fierce competitor he really is.

Happy for Vettel at the same time.
I hope he leaves Red Bull at some stage and goes to a team who are quick in a straight line instead to prove his worth to the doubters.

I wonder what is going through Hamilton's mind today as he steps out of what is currently the quickest team in F1 and into a team treading water outside the top 10.

And as for Michael, farewell to the #1 driver of all time.
Even though he was well past his best and joined a mediocre team, I'm sure he enjoyed the past 3 years. It sure beats the hell out of gardening on a Sunday.

7 world titles and 91 wins. Count 'em.

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
I never never never liked Alonso when he raced at Renault, then the whole McL back to Renault thing really made me think he was an arse BUT I will give it to him, at Ferrari he has really really knocked his balls in and developed into a much tolerable arse lol.

tim

RMS Regular
I hope he leaves Red Bull at some stage and goes to a team who are quick in a straight line instead to prove his worth to the doubters.
What doubters? He's the reigning Triple consecutive World Champion, the youngest ever to boot!

Agree whole heartdly with you on Lewis, I hope he's made the right choice. I find it hard to imagine him at any other team than McLaren.

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
Amazingly Tim, there are plently of doubters still out there and a few of them actually reside on this forum!

Reactions: DC.

C4L

RMS Regular
You really have to feel for Alonso.

He was fighting to the wire for the championship in a car that had mid-field pace for much of the season.

That just goes to show what a phenomenal racer and fierce competitor he really is.

I wonder what is going through Hamilton's mind today as he steps out of what is currently the quickest team in F1 and into a team treading water outside the top 10.

And as for Michael, farewell to the #1 driver of all time.
Even though he was well past his best and joined a mediocre team, I'm sure he enjoyed the past 3 years. It sure beats the hell out of gardening on a Sunday.

7 world titles and 91 wins. Count 'em.

summed up like a poet!

My personal opinions:

For all my complaining about Vettel and his whinging he still deserved the title, good year for him, albeit in the quickest car once again. Alonso was on a different level to Vettel nd everyone this year frankly, he took a car not capable of being near the front for most of the year very nearly to the title, most deserving of the title no doubt but Vettel still a worthy winner. Credit to redbull and Newey, a car designed around the exhaust which started out fairly average and quickly developed into one of the pacesetters once again, credit where its due.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
I don't doubt Vettel's talent - he can drive.

but at the same time he's 3rd best on the grid in my opinion.

F1 is similar in ways to motoGP. plenty of competitors but when it boils down it there's only a small number who can cut it.

2013 will be the same again, minus Hamilton winning his share of races. 16 weeks and counting...

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
Massa looking good for next year.

Toon'd final episode (y)

Seb is immune to stewards enquiries (shunt > yellow flag)

Lewis must have regretting every lap tick down in that mcLaren cause it looks great. Brawn has big job next yr.

Bring on 2012/13

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
After vettels spin, to go from 22nd to 7th in 2 1/2 laps, in the wet, with a disintegrating sidepod and power turned down is up there with some of the best things I've seen in F1, it was like Sennas lap in the '93 european GP and the last lap in brazil in '08 combined.

Vettel is a very deserving champion this year but fair play to the cheating Spanish tout, he gave him a good run for it in a much inferior car. Kimi third in the championship in his first year back looks like a good omen for 2013.

Marc.W

RMS Regular
Drives
Lupo GTI
I wet myself with joy when Vettel turned in on Senna, I thought it was all over, only to **** myself when he got it back together, he really is the luckiest man alive! Receiving a whack like that to the car without even the suspension breaking is serious luck, I still think Alonso deserved that championship more, the staring look on his face when he got out of the car was heartbreaking!

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
I really really wanted Alonso to take it this year but as much as I'm not a big fan of Vettel, I was seriously impressed with his driving yesterday.

Kimis pass on Schumacher into the first corner was fantastic to watch. Looked so close to each other, yet managed not to touch.

What's the craic though with these drivers-with-money? Has it always been happening, or just more in recent years with teams who are struggling? It just felt this year more than ever that there were some proper tools out on track.

stevyg

RMS Regular
Very exiting race yesterday, it really wasn't over till vettel crossed the line, I had no idea the whole race as to who would win. He's a very lucky boy to have still been able to continue after getting hit twice at the start, I was actually wanting him to get back in the race so Alonso could beat him fair and square which he did but unfortunately it wasn't enough.
Thought hulk was doing an amazing job until he tried to pass a back marker and the race leader at the same time on one of the worst corners while carrying far too much speed and running on the wet line in the pouring rain with slicks on. Numpty.
Also thought webber was driving like a tube but it shows how fast the red bulls are again if webber can work his way up through the grid like he did within a few laps, little talent involved compared to the guys in the slower cars fighting every lap to retain position.

It was the best F1 season I've seen. In the end the best car won and not the best driver so well done to Alonso for winning the championship and well done to vettel for getting the trophy.

Roll on 2013.

mce23

RMS Regular
Drives
Ford
Would any other driver have collected a penalty for Vettels turn in on Corner 4? Senna had his car quite far up along and Vettel came in on him causing an incident which removed 2 cars from the race.

Was an exciting race all the same, and i really wanted Alonso to pick it up this time, Superb drives all season and ever so close.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.