F1 2012

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Darragh

RMS Regular
Drives
Supra TT6
Was gonna say a lot of things were aloud to slide on Sunday and I think it was to keep the tv ratings going, do you reckon the FIA were told to let certain things slide so that it goes to the wire?

Truthfully it was the best race off the year and I was on the edge off my seat from start to finish, wanted alonso to win but didn't mind Vettel although now Schumacher is gone and I now hate Mercedes I'm gonna swing my following to alonso but that's only cause he drives a Ferrari :grinning:

Sad to see Schumacher go I don't think ill enjoy it as much :worried:

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
do you reckon the FIA were told to let certain things slide so that it goes to the wire?

No, there was just too much going on....

Although rules are rules, It would be foolish of the FIA to retrospectively punish him now imo. It will dishearten all the fans the sport has worked so hard to win back over the past 2-3 seasons, they will be thinking the sport is returning to the days of Ferrari International Assist winning GP's by twisting legislation. The officals possibly made a mistake and missed it, mistakes happen...just look at football.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Ferrari are "looking at footage" to see if their is any case against S Vettel overtaking under yellows.

Alonso has tweeted: 'I have no miracles, I make the correct laws my miracles. #samurai'

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
If Ferrari appeal, which it looks like they are, I can't see why in theory they won't retrospectively penalise Vettel as the pass was made under yellows and that should incurr a post race time addition of 20 seconds.

It would be a very hollow victory however and possibly damaging for the sport.

Also, what sort of mess would it not leave the bookies in?

Marc.W

RMS Regular
Drives
Lupo GTI
It was confirmed by an FIA steward that it was the red and yellow flag, although it pains me to say it, it definitely wasn't a yellow flag, the board was not flashing, which indicates a slippery surface but because of the low resolution of on board cameras the yellow overpowers the red LEDs

Edit

Didn't see that Verne footage till after I posted this, as far as I recall, if you can see the flag be it yellow or green, that is what zone you're in, not that, that is the zone you're about to enter

Shaun

RMS Regular
It was confirmed by an FIA steward that it was the red and yellow flag, although it pains me to say it, it definitely wasn't a yellow flag, the board was not flashing, which indicates a slippery surface but because of the low resolution of on board cameras the yellow overpowers the red LEDs

Edit

Didn't see that Verne footage till after I posted this, as far as I recall, if you can see the flag be it yellow or green, that is what zone you're in, not that, that is the zone you're about to enter
There was the solid yellow flag which is slippy surface and the oil flag but the flashing yellow was illegal to overtake.

The yellow flag zone is in place until after you pass the green flag not when you see it.
Same as the yellow flag it starts when you pass it, you can still overtake up to the first yellow flag in that zone.

He even had the yellow flag icon on his steering wheel when and after he overtook.

Shaun

RMS Regular
The championship will hinge on a whether or not marshall was waving the green flag on lap 4.
There was a green light flashing which means they can race and overtake but only after they have passed that point. Vettel done it before the green flag/screen therefore he was still under yellow flag.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
would another driver in another race have gotten a penalty for what Vettel did on Senna at turn 4? did he cause an avoidable accident?

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
Quoted from the BBC:

However, on the footage from Vettel's car it is not possible to see clearly the marshals' post that is situated on the inside of the track at the exit of the pit lane - after the yellow light at Turn Three.
It is possible that the marshal there was waving a green flag. If he was, the pass on Vergne would be legal and the result would stand.

Shaun

RMS Regular
Watch this from about 9.50 onwards. Clearly shows the yellow flags then the green flag.

Steering wheel also shows the yellow flag as i said.

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
Steering wheel means nothing, it's a driver aid, the track flags take precedence. According to the article there is a marshal post at the start of the straight (at the exit to the pits) where there was a green flag on lap 3 well before the electronic board but the post or flag isnt visible from Vettels in-car camera on lap 4.

Marc.W

RMS Regular
Drives
Lupo GTI
The yellow flag zone is in place until after you pass the green flag not when you see it.
Same as the yellow flag it starts when you pass it, you can still overtake up to the first yellow flag in that zone.

He even had the yellow flag icon on his steering wheel when and after he overtook.

Ah, so it's the opposite I thought it was, definitely an illegal overtake, but I don't think Alonso would want to gain a title this way, Vettel would probably hang himself so is it really worth investigating?

pablo

RMS Moderator
xq7wq2yp.gif

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
the won't overturn it but they may look into the rules & regs surrounding incidents like this.

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
It's definitely a green flag - this guy has done a dummies guide to how it was legal. Pretty boring and I didn't bother watching it all but he has a still image of the green flag at the marshalls post -

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Ferrari didn't lodge an appeal, they asked for clarification. I think they were just throwing some mud in Vettel's direction rather than attempting to have the championship overturned.

pablo

RMS Moderator
this comment was my favourite

33 Responses
on November 29, 2012 at 06:37 | ReplyAllan
I am an Alonso fan but I say leave the matter alone and let us tell people for the rest of our lives that Alonso should be the 2012 champion because Vettel overtook under yellow in Brazil like some behind the scene secrets.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.