F1 2024

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
New season, new year, moving on to 2024. Who will get it right? Who will bomb? Will anyone get even close to Max' RB?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
2024 season, not year 2024 😇 The 2023 season is over, time to move on and look forward to next season.

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
I'm living in hope for a tighter fight.
I'm going to assume that the RB car is closer to the ultimate performance of the regs and therefore doesn't have much more room for improvement. Hopefully the other can gain a bit more to close the gap and make it an interesting title fight.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
I actually think Ferrari and Mercedes switched to 2024 very early this year, basically using the current car as a test bed. Especially Mercedes. The "fight" for second in the manufacturers - I think the drivers cared more than the teams to be honest. The teams would have taken extra wind tunnel time over $10m every day of the week.

The RB - apparently they haven't had a significant update since summer. So they have definitely put everything into next year.

RB would really have to drop the ball not to be favourites for next year.

But will interesting to see where the rest actually are.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
I've said it before but I would love the sprint format to either be binned or its own championship. I don't think as it is adds anything to the weekend and I don't have to mention the parc ferme / sprint nightmare that was COTA 23.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
I'll be interested to see what the AT or Racing Bulls or whatever it'll be called will be like next year.

Hopefully Ferrari, Merc, Aston and McLaren have a competitive car.

If the RB cars are as much of a step above next year, wonder if Perez will make getting 2nd in the championship look just a difficult again!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yes, change to sprint on the way. Likely just tweaking, moving sprint quali to Friday and then sprint race and main quali on Saturday.

Possibly bigger changes hinted at, like a partial reverse grid or a separate championship. But I honestly can't see the teams agree to that. Who knows.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
I honestly think the biggest problem is the dev cap. It's just not possible for teams to catch up through dev, so if someone gets a head start then that's it. Season over.

That, and it being completely opaque. So when someone ends up a full pit stop in front of everyone else without even trying, there will always be a question mark over playing the system and not the game.

At the same time there doesn't seem to be any appetite to go back to unlimited budgets either.

For a cap to work it really needs to be standardised parts. Otherwise someone will always play the system.

But then it's not F1. So hey 🤷‍♂️

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Is that actually true? The same "story" that was copied across the usual click-bait sites last year as well?

Serves them right if it is, lol 😅

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
I'm sure it could be easily verified by going over the F1 rules but who has time for that? I suppose the prize money assigned to each team's constructor position evens that out somewhat so I doubt RedBull are overly worried

Last edited:

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Awwww!! Poor Redbull! lol.

Honestly I don’t recall (but my memory isn’t the …….. what was I saying) Mercedes ever gurning about the entry fee’s when they were on top for many years.

This has Crying Spice (Horner) all over it!! Such an ungracious man in victory!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Logan Sergeant confirmed for Williams, so the 2024 field is now complete:

Red Bull - Max Verstappen, Sergio Perez

Mercedes - Lewis Hamilton, George Russell

Ferrari - Charles Leclerc, Carlos Sainz

McLaren - Lando Norris, Oscar Piastri

Aston Martin - Fernando Alonso, Lance Stroll

Alpine - Esteban Ocon, Pierre Gasly

Williams - Alex Albon, Logan Sargeant

Alpha Tauri - Yuki Tsunoda, Daniel Ricciardo

Alfa Romeo - Valtteri Bottas, Zhou Guanyu

Haas - Kevin Magnussen, Nico Hulkenberg

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Yes, has been for a long time.....unfortunately.

Saying that, the way RB operate he could be out of the car in a handful of races next year.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Wouldn't surprise me at all if he were at least closer to Max in the first few races. And then drops back again as one car is developed and the other is not. Just like every other RB #2.

Doesn't matter who they put in the second RB. They will never be able to challenge Max. The team won't allow it.

Was the same before Max too. It's just even more obvious now with the dev caps.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Any proof of this theory of only one car being developed, any at all? It gets spouted quite a bit on these threads but not seen anything to actually back it up.

At the same time, can you blame RB with a strict no. 2, look at how Hamilton and Rosberg went for Merc, but let's face it, Perez is nowhere near that level.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Proof? It's only how F1 has always worked, since like, well, forever.

You just gave another example yourself, lol 😅

KevM

RMS Regular
Perez is the RB sacrificial lamb.
They use him to make it look like Max has the X Factor.
I suspect that Max just has something on his car that's right in that Grey area of legalities. If both cars were 25 seconds up the road, it would draw more attention to that. Plus, the RB DNF's would go through the roof if Checo was allowed to compete with his team-mate, as Max would take them both out