GTINI Drag Day Saturday 30th May.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Stocky

RMS Regular
Fantastic day yesterday, really enjoyed myself! Thanks for the guys at GTINI and Drag Ireland for having me

The car may or may not be mapped:p

The R ran a 12.5 on its first run and that was the best I could manage all day. Was my first time doing any 1/4 mile runs and will def be back for more

Great sight watching Warren in the M4 launching! Once he worked out how to get off the line quickly that car is rapid.

Loved the top 10 shoot out Street outlaw style, good end to the day!

WSM

RMS Regular
Drives
R8
mate....... that Granada is just........ Insane. Incredible. Awesome. Amazing. To many words required to describe it!

56oval

RMS Regular
OP
56oval
I would love to see dave and stevie go heads up, very similar e.t's but two completely different was of going about it.
Dave takes over half a second out of stevies 60 feet time. 1.6 to 2.4's , daves work is pretty much done by the 8th and Stevies is just started ( so to speak ) the sheer grunt of the Granada really shows and the two of them would cross the line pretty much together, dave doing just 110mph to Stevies 140+ thatd be a daunting sight in the mirror, just like Warrens bmw reeling me in.

Good fun.

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Had an absolute blast (excuse the pun) on Saturday! Achieved a best time of 11.5 seconds and was going through the 60' quicker than the ZZR1400 on most runs with 11000rpm launches :p Not bad for a little unfaired 675! Well done to @56oval and all others involved in making the day as good as it was and I wish the events every success in the future. (y) Just signed up for the 19th July meet and looking forward to it already! :grinning:
675.jpg

56oval

RMS Regular
OP
56oval
Glad you had a great day Mikey, sorry i didn't get a chance to get a proper natter with you, we've had a real good bunch of bike racers these past few events, always approachable and good for a chat, James Devlin came over to me whilst i was grabbing a cuppa and he mentioned the first time our paths crossed was at straightliners Enniskillen a good few years back ( my first run with the car over here ) and we had a good natter and laugh about that day, all true gentleman (y)

And yes you were destroying the ZZR off the start every time, good job :grinning:

Its really nice to see people giving some good feedback, there are always some issues, there is always stuff the guys who run it can improve on, and I'm always conscious of getting you guys pulled to the startline as quickly as possible. If the drags can be full of the stuff we had at this event on a regular basis we would have a great recipe.

56oval

RMS Regular
OP
56oval
Will there be a compiled time sheet of the event, be interesting to see what everyone was getting.

I asked Wayne to get the final stats for me this week, once i have it ill post it in here for you all.

sparkso

RMS Regular
@WSM id love to have had another run along side you lol as Said your car sounded great and went very well :grinning:

The drag bug has bite me again although I want to do a track day at kirkistown :grinning:

The supra survive a drag day this time darragh? :p must get my ass back to bishopscourt this year at some stage, looked like a good day out!!

Darragh

RMS Regular
Drives
Supra TT6
Nope the coil packs finally died and misfired on full throttle lol I temporarily fixed them at Santapod 6 years ago :grinning: new ones ordered aswell as a few other things to help me get off the line :laughing:

PhilM

RMS Regular
so a mapped golf R is a full second quicker than a m4 down the 1/4mile!

nice!

also see that andrew robbs fwd golf pipped the m4 also, good going there, must be some serious power going through her.

Phil

Last edited:

56oval

RMS Regular
OP
56oval
Just to clear up a few points here, these are the best qualifying times, and in the box to the right is the race results ( with times ) some people did run quicker in the afternoon. Warren ran a 13.0 against me (12.8) in one of the finals. both times quicker than quali.

@mike150 I spoke to Wayne about your 10.47, and we should have made it clear ( i didn't know at this point ) that all the times for prizes are up to the finals, if you run quicker than that in the late afternoon session then its purely bragging rights if you have the slip.

The format was revised as we usually run the finals much later in the afternoon, the reality, it doesn't work, racers who made the cut have gone home which is a nightmare as they never tell you and we spend ages looking for them and spectators leave too, so we decided to pull everything forward, quick quali session in the morning then shootout early afternoon, open drag thereafter, a lot to cram into a short space of time.

Last edited:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
so a mapped golf R is a full second quicker than a m4 from 0-130 ish

nice!

also see that andrew robbs fwd golf pipped the m4 also, good going there, must be some serious power going through her.

Phil

I'd doubt either were doing 130mph.

And the Golf achieves a lot of the quick elapsed time due to 4wd. The initial 60-100ft of the run makes a huge difference to the ET.

the M4 may well still get to 130mph first, it would just require a longer distance.

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI

Phil

Been a run in this, and I cannot believe how well it uses its power. Flying machine.

Also the 335D was an estate too. Few KG extra to lug up the strip.

56oval

RMS Regular
OP
56oval
so a mapped golf R is a full second quicker than a m4 from 0-130 ish

nice!

Phil

In reality no, the golf laid down easy 1.8 60feet times, but as @Stocky has said 12.50's was as much as he could get out of it even after the first run. The front engined rwd owners will tell you, it is so difficult to get a road car to launch anywhere near like a rear engine rwd or 4 wd car, throw in low profile tyres into the mix and its a tough ballgame. @WSM 's terminals were around 115mph+ I'm pretty sure the golf was pulling a touch less, mid track is where the high powered rwd cars start really working. A stock M4 on slicks will go deep into the 12's on the right track.

The best comparison in the results table is Dave and Stevies times, 11.988 to 11.822, a tenth in it, the beetle has 211bhp slicks, weighs 600 kilos, stevies granada is a completely different beast. 110mph through the traps for dave, 140+mph for stevie. And just one tenth of a second separating them across the line.

Andrew Robbs golf is rapid for a fwd road car, he's been very low 13's before with terminal speeds upwards of 110mph, and if he hadn't slept on the line he would have taken the win against warren in the first final shootout. Bug hey thats proper drag racing.

Should the R not be in Class 2?

I'll check that, i think we'll add another class next round. class7 lease race cars lol.

Last edited:

PhilM

RMS Regular
posted edited :grinning:

and congrats Stevie your car definitely goes well.

Phil

56oval

RMS Regular
OP
56oval
I think whats more fascinating is that a thread about drag racing has had this much input on rms lol what happened there??

Stocky

RMS Regular
Yeah Gethin forget to put my entry in the 4wd class. No biggy or complaints from me about that. Was there a 4wd class prize?

All about getting off the line like you said at the driver brief. Launch control as standard helps but it does bog down for a split second then just goes! Need to work on that but I think it's the electric dsg hold doing it which I have no control over when in launch mode. Think my teminals were all 109mph throughout the day.

I'll dig out the slips and check the 60feet times throughout the day.

WSM

RMS Regular
Drives
R8
the m4 finished at 12.8 seconds lads - Car 008 on the right hand top10 shoot out. The Golf R mapped was running 12.5 - I'm pretty sure an M4 with a driver who can drive would beat that :p

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.