How strict are local MOT centres on the new xenon washer law?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

VintyGti

RMS Regular
Drives
Edition 30 GTI
I will get it fixed, its washers for your headlights which I don't actually want to work as there pointless... anyway but I know what you mean with people leaving stuff like suspension brakes.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
a squirt of water wont shift much dirt, jeepers i know in winter i have to sponge the lamps once a day to keep them clear?

and why just xenon's need them ?

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
i mind dads old saab (late 80's early 90's) had wipers on the head;amps, that makes sense to me

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
It's because of the intensity of the light from HID's and the heat they can emit, they will 'burn' the dirt into the lens which will in turn effect their efficiency and pattern.

Clean lights = effective lights.
Dirty lights = dangerous.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
It's because of the intensity of the light from HID's and the heat they can emit, they will 'burn' the dirt into the lens which will in turn effect their efficiency and pattern.

I see, they can't clean that much though surely

dufunk

RMS Regular
My dads C5 failed in newbuildings for one washer not working, they also pulled the hand brake up to high and the cable snapped they didnt take any responsibility, newbuildings has the worst rate for failing in NI i have heard. Had bother with my integra's brake pipes allow had them checked and seemed fine but they werent happy until they seen new ones.

matt89

RMS Member
new buildings failed me because there was no water in the reservoir. had to go home and fill it up, ring up the test centre, drive back out again and the car passed thankfully lol

Sailorbaz

RMS Regular
Scotland/Co Tyrone/ Rio de Janiero, Brasil!
Drives
E46 CSL and F10
My CSL got an 'advisory' against a failed headlight washer, turned out to be a loose pipe causing a lose in pressure behind the headlight.

new buildings failed me because there was no water in the reservoir. had to go home and fill it up, ring up the test centre, drive back out again and the car passed thankfully lol

They were good enough to pass you later that day, there's plenty of testers out there that'd let you fail for that for such a simple check.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia

My understanding was the opposite, the lights output more visible light and less ir radiation.

I had read the reasoning for headlight washers was that the lights could not melt snow and ice of like.normal.halogen bulbs.

It stands to reason that a bulb that uses less power but itls brighter would put out less heat

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
My understanding was the opposite, the lights output more visible light and less ir radiation.

I had read the reasoning for headlight washers was that the lights could not melt snow and ice of like.normal.halogen bulbs.

It stands to reason that a bulb that uses less power but itls brighter would put out less heat

There is little sensible logic that cars never fitted with something should fail for not having them fitted. And as mentioned already...some motorbikes have these headlights ?...do they have washers ?

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
I see, they can't clean that much though surely

You'd be surprised Graham. The ST had factory fitted washers and during the winter they actually kept the bit that they reached very clean indeed.

FAKER

RMS Regular
Drives
loadsa stuff
Clio sport failed at Boucher last week. Examiner was a legend though, and very fair. I've only been driving the thing for a year and never noticed the absence of an airbag light. Doh!!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
This is now enforce through out the rest of the UK, I'd be interested to see the Evo forums ect now......

No it isnt. Their test is worded that washers may be fitted, not they must be fitted. They arent as silly as the people here. It was amended at a very early stage.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
I wasn't arguing that the legislation makes little sense, I was arguing about the Physics :laughing:

azzymo

RMS Regular
Drives
Bikes
My wee Civic passed yesterday even with my very last minute 'cardboard under the front light casing' to align my beam as I've a wee bracket broken on it. DeLIGHTed.

Gibonz

RMS Regular
Drives
W204
Had my MOT last month and they guy just asked for 'windscreen washers', didnt mention anything about headlight washers. Although i have them factory installed anyways...

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Had my MOT last month and they guy just asked for 'windscreen washers', didnt mention anything about headlight washers. Although i have them factory installed anyways...

He would ask you to use your windscreen washers as the headlight ones come on with them... (every 3 windscreen washes or something to that effect)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.