How strict are local MOT centres on the new xenon washer law?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

richie_mck

RMS Regular
My scooby went through new buildings at the end of july just before I sold it with a temporary headlight washer bodge joined into the windscreen washers. You can see the pipe under the gaffer tape

50ad9884.jpg

Anyone been through recently with a bodge job like I did on the scooby last year. The s2000 is going to need a new ticket in a months time

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Absolutely no reason why it wouldn't go through provided it runs water over the lights.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Absolutely no reason why it wouldn't go through provided it runs water over the lights.

I could see them cracking down on it as water running down the light isnt same as it being sprayed on it with a bit of pressure. Even tho it doesnt actually do much anyway lol

Hel

RMS Regular
I could see them cracking down on it as water running down the light isnt same as it being sprayed on it with a bit of pressure. Even tho it doesnt actually do much anyway lol

If they dont have a pressure tester to prove a certain level they how can they fail you? Its like the old sound testing without use of a sound meter. Unless theres a number in a book then it has no requirement

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

Cant see it. It seems if there appears to be washers fitted....they dont even bother testing them.

If there was never washers fitted or needed from the factory....they request them. It's bonkers.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
If they dont have a pressure tester to prove a certain level they how can they fail you? Its like the old sound testing without use of a sound meter. Unless theres a number in a book then it has no requirement

Same way they failed a car my friend had quoting the pads were less than 1.5mm. Did it have calibrated eyes as was no way he could measure them while fitted to the car.

It also just passed all the brake tests.

gsmith

RMS Regular
Had 2 cars pass without the washers with xenons in the end boils down to who you get. 1st car had the washers but werent working 2nd car had no washers atall straight through :grinning:

benuk

RMS Regular
Drives
Seat Cupra
What is this BS..

So.. if your car has HID's from the factory, but no washers.. you have to install washers to pass the MOT now regardless of the fact they didn't come with them when new?

Turns out I didn't read the manual properly :oops: my scooby does have them.. comes on when you wash the windows when the lights are on! lol

Anyone have a link to the NI MOT regs.. according to an article on pistonheads the rules on the mainland state that the washers only have to work IF they are fitted as standard.

Article on pistonheads :
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1169094

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
What is this BS..

So.. if your car has HID's from the factory, but no washers.. you have to install washers to pass the MOT now regardless of the fact they didn't come with them when new? The dealer I bought my scooby from put it through MOT before I bought it no problem.. it has HID's as standard and NO washers..

So do I have to fit these?? Anyone have a link to the NI MOT regs.. according to an article on pistonheads the rules on the mainland state that the washers only have to work IF they are fitted as standard.

Article on pistonheads :
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1169094

It's not like it's new, it's been an issue now for a year since the new rules came in and been covered here several times. Mainland VOSA amended their wording so that washers may be fitted and if fitted must work, so their test actually has some common sense applied to it unlike ours.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
But would those brakes last for a year, or the best part of it, until the next test?

If not, then the examiner was right to fail it.

Who said the car wasn't going to do 100 miles that year. It's tested on the day not what if it lasts another year or not.

Also if your car passed yesterday, doesn't mean it's good for a year, hence why police can make you do roadside or take you to an MOT Center to check it!

He also going to say your tyres aren't going to last a year??

He can't quote figures if he can't measure them! Say I went out to carpark, removed the pad and measured it properly, they going to refund or pass the car then if its 1.51mm?

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
On another one, friends gf took his BM up for a test, failed on ABS lights not following correct sequence which was complete nonsense.

He did nothing, drove car back up. Passed, asked for manager who said he would investigate it and get back to him, he rang back 4 days later and refunded him his retest fee.

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
He also going to say your tyres aren't going to last a year??

Indeed I had this in Ards MOT centre a couple of years ago, he called me over to say the tyres were 'marginally' above the legal limit and proceeded to tell me that by the time I drove home that they would be under the limit.

I was polite at first and then realised he was actually insisting he had to fail it. I asked if he had bothered to actually measure the depth as I had watched and he hadn't, he was going by the tyre wear indicators which in this case were for monster truck tyres and way above the legal limit. I asked to speak with someone in charge, I explained my thoughts and he was told to put it through and move on.

I find it's like roulette in there sometimes, I don't need any favors with cars and I know they are there to apply the law / rules but I also don't need anyone who wishes to be obstructive for no real need.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.