Impreza WRX

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Exactly what I am looking for at the minute....

AC

RMS Regular
OP
AC
Well it's about time I updated this and now that I have a bit of time, bear with me as it' a bit long winded :grinning:

There were a few bits and pieces that I wanted to get done to the car. There was a score on the bonnet and as with every 10 year old car, some road rash across the front. There was also a few spots of what can only be described as tiny worms of rust forming on the roof which I thought was unusual.

Anyway, back in July, I headed off with the better half on holiday for a few weeks so thought it was ample opportunity to get these few niggles sorted while I was away. So off it went to a good friend of mine who works for Wrights in Dundonald to have the bonnet, bumper and roof painted.

He kindly took plenty of pictures along the way, some of which I have included in this update... and some of which I was surprised at myself! Here it is before he got started.

01_zps9f0b4db3.jpg

Off comes the bonnet and stripped down to bare metal.
02_zpsa342555d.jpg

03_zps3d5f79b5.jpg

04_zpsc7510d2e.jpg

Next was the roof. He had planned to rub down the little worms of rust that had formed however as he rubbed it down, he uncovered something that was a little shocking to say to the least!
05_zps46b5897c.jpg

06_zps3b0a294b.jpg

He wasn't overly happy at this point so kept going only to find that the roof skin was covered in rust. He also stated he's never seen a roof do that before and reckons moisture has got under the clear coat (maybe at time of original paint) somehow and over time has resulted in this. Couldn't believe it when he showed me :scream:

07_zpsf96902f7.jpg

Out came the sander after that, bringing it back to bare metal. Shiny shiny :grinning:
09_zps34898c22.jpg

Some pictures during paint:
010_zps3c27622c.jpg

011_zpsf151a7b9.jpg

012_zps9c01bfea.jpg

013_zpsc6a58d76.jpg

014_zps00d1abf0.jpg

015_zpsbc6de114.jpg

016_zps77f832f9.jpg

017_zps5e327020.jpg

I was extremely pleased with how it turned out, his painting is flawless. Ordered a few bits while I was away, including a black badge to replace the pink one, black Zunsport grille and new headlights as the old ones were a little grubby.

Ordered a new header tank as well as the current one had a crack in it near the neck.

1_zpsb9fc7c45.jpg

Took the opportunity to flush out the old green Subaru coolant and replaced it with OAT.
2_zps756f2dee.jpg

Here is how it sits now after a quick coat of Poorboys Black hole and Nattys paste wax.

3_zps45585184.jpg

4_zpsa59c6929.jpg

5_zps31838d6c.jpg

6_zps7bcd8b49.jpg

7_zps4f5de90a.jpg

8_zps8fe12c4e.jpg

9_zps958172f9.jpg

10_zpsca28640f.jpg

12_zps9dfad35b.jpg

13_zpsc39f736d.jpg

Last edited:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
That looks great!! Really nice job. Crazy rust on the roof there, would never have known to look at it!

Dave23

RMS Regular
Drives
Merc
Jaysus, that roof is hectic!

But good job your mate did on it! Car is looking well (y)

m5lvyn

RMS Regular
Drives
GT4
Great progress, car looks fantastic now. Fresh paint makes all the difference!

Gaz86

RMS Regular
Holy **** at the roof!! :eek:

The coolant in it was fresh only a couple of months before you got it mate, it's meant to be green lol definitely not old but ah well it'll do no harm :grinning:

Great work on the bodywork (y) I now regret selling you this :worried: The ZunSport grille was also on my shopping list but never got around to it, makes a big difference (y)

AC

RMS Regular
OP
AC
Thanks all, I will pass on the praise to Boyd!

@GazEP3 I know the coolant is meant to be green lol, Subaru standard spec. Unfortunately there wasn't much of it left with the leak. The car is running very well! I've been meaning to call you re: the calliper paint and WRX logo.. do you still have it? (I know it's been a while)

Gaz86

RMS Regular
Thanks all, I will pass on the praise to Boyd!

@GazEP3 I know the coolant is meant to be green lol, Subaru standard spec. Unfortunately there wasn't much of it left with the leak. The car is running very well! I've been meaning to call you re: the calliper paint and WRX logo.. do you still have it? (I know it's been a while)

Really? There was only the odd dribble out of the reservoir when I had it but nothing severe. Yeah should still have the paint, not sure about the logo but I can easily make another one here.

Reactions: AC

Gaz86

RMS Regular
Another thing I never got round to was darkening the headlights, involves splitting them with a heat gun or in an oven for about 15mins and painting the silver bits black (y) Always thought it would complete the whole blue & black theme :cool:

Civic's going up for sale in the next month as soon as I get it MOT'd, looking to buy a house after Christmas so I'm going diesel for a while, something semi-interesting though :grinning:

Reactions: AC

conorc

RMS Regular
Drives
2008 Ford Fiesta
Cant believe the condition of the roof! Fantastic work getting it to the standard it is now. On a side note, I just had my bonnet painted recently and googled regarding waxing freshly painted panels.. alot of info said 30-90 days before waxing as it can affect the paint. Something to do with the curing process. However that seems to be the case if panels have not been oven cured. Maybe one of the pro detailers on here can verify!

T66 DNP

RMS Regular
Drives
320i M Sport
@jessy you took the words out of my mouth. That roof was crazy. Looks great with all the work now completed.

Crimson

RMS Regular
Drives
Daytona Grey S3
shocked at the roof! Makes me wonder how many other scoobs are in a similar condition unbeknownst to the owners

the new paintwork is stunning!!

AC

RMS Regular
OP
AC
I did indeed Gary. Super chuffed with the results.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.