Jeremy Clarkson fired from Top Gear

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
Top Gear was probably the only show I actually made a point of watching.
Absolutely loved the specials that they did.
I hope they don't go to Sky and do a similar show as il never see it as I don't have or intend to get Sky.

Sky have said they have no interest, but we must remember BskyB only make a small percentage of the broadcasters on the Sky platform. Discovery would sign him, on the face of it that would be a logical channel to want hims it would encompass Discovery Europe, Discovery Turbo, Quest and in America, Discovery, Velocity Channel etc

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
@Rocko - you had the phonecall yet? Got your name all over it

Listen, I told Andy Wilman and I'll tell you the same, when we can agree that hot food is served until midnight, we'll talk.

But seriously, dream job no? Paid truckloads for spanking cars round a track and running all over the world doing "challenges".

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
someone like Coogan or Atkinson as the presenter, who are naturally funny

Are they? the parts they play are mildly amusing, but I find neither amusing in their own right. In fact I find Atkinson and the parts he plays anything but funny

Paul.

RMS Regular
I'm surprised not many people have suggested Quentin Willson. He did cover Top Gear during the 1990s, after all. Clarkson wrote quite highly of him in a column that's collated in one of his books too, although Willson claims Clarkson's difficult to work with. Have to admit, I always liked Willson too.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Are they? the parts they play are mildly amusing, but I find neither amusing in their own right. In fact I find Atkinson and the parts he plays anything but funny

Subjective I guess, like all comedians. I find them both funny in their own way, though Coogan would probably be better suited for TG which doesn't rely on Atkinson's style of physical comedy. They're more naturally funny than - let's name some other choices - Jay Kay, or Chris Harris. It's hard to find someone who's comedic and also big, big into their cars - not a huge list out there.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
God I really hope Chris Harris doesn't end up doing Top Gear.

He is barely as exciting as an Ikea Instruction Manual.

Would be a bit like having some comedian (Alan Carr? :p) doing the studio/interviews, and then a tame road tester, alongside the tame racing driver. And finally a bunch of comedians (Dara and those other chaps from three men in a boat, or whatever) doing comedy stunts and challenges.

Might actually work, with the right people :grinning:

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Does it have to be comedy though? If the three of them are gone, why not reinvent the show completely? Perhaps have some episodes about what it takes to be a stunt driver, another about the history of a certain genre of cars etc. I'm thinking along the lines of the lines of the Idris Elba programme on Dave or For the Love of Cars. The smashing up caravans bit has been done to death. It will be cringeworthy seeing someone else trying to emulate it. Guest presenters like those on Racing Legends are the way forward IMO.

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Can you imagine telling Dawe there's no hot food? He'd have killed Tymon.

"No steak? NO F****KING STEAK???!??!?!?"

670x377Image.jpg

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Does it have to be comedy though? If the three of them are gone, why not reinvent the show completely? Perhaps have some episodes about what it takes to be a stunt driver, another about the history of a certain genre of cars etc. I'm thinking along the lines of the lines of the Idris Elba programme on Dave or For the Love of Cars. The smashing up caravans bit has been done to death. It will be cringeworthy seeing someone else trying to emulate it. Guest presenters like those on Racing Legends are the way forward IMO.

TG doesn't have a 350 million-person fanbase because it was serious, like Fifth Gear or other car shows. Completely changing the tone of the show may lose them a huge chunk of viewers. It needs to stay lighthearted and comedic IMO, but not emulating what came before.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
TG doesn't have a 350 million-person fanbase because it was serious, like Fifth Gear or other car shows. Completely changing the tone of the show may lose them a huge chunk of viewers. It needs to stay lighthearted and comedic IMO, but not emulating what came before.

Im looking forward to Sixth Gear or Reverse on Netflix :cool:

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
The way I see it, we are most likely going to get 2 decent motoring show out of this whole thing. So im happy enough.

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
Anything is better than Richard Hammond or James May doing car reviews.

Chris Harris actually has a substantial following, I find his car reviews to be the most informative out of anyones...and he can actually drive.

Does he have the following to attract 350 million viewers, and 40% of that female

acsmyth

RMS Regular
Drives
Supra
Does he have the following to attract 350 million viewers, and 40% of that female

Those figures don't matter in the slightest anymore.

The BBC have lost that viewership because Clarkson and his pals have walked out the door. Wherever they end up...that's where that viewership ends up.

They need to recreate the show into something entirely different.

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Anything is better than Richard Hammond or James May doing car reviews.

Chris Harris actually has a substantial following, I find his car reviews to be the most informative out of anyones...and he can actually drive.

He's also a boring ******* with the worlds most annoying high pitched voice. There is no craic about him at all. Fair enough he knows his stuff and can drive, but that doesn't make him entertaining.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.