Jeremy Clarkson fired from Top Gear

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
I'm surprised not many people have suggested Quentin Willson. He did cover Top Gear during the 1990s, after all.

On the other hand, I'd be surprised if anyone who liked Top Gear suggested Quento...... Mr Wilson would give facts, figures and semi-interesting stuff but his upper-class delivery would lose most of the viewing audience after 37 minutes, if the programme started with 36 minutes of Shakespeare recitals by fat Albanian monks who took a vow of silence.

Mr Wilson is at the peak of his competency hosting dry, badly-scripted uninteresting budget TV for people who don't read Motoring Magazines.

Last edited:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
TG doesn't have a 350 million-person fanbase because it was serious, like Fifth Gear or other car shows. Completely changing the tone of the show may lose them a huge chunk of viewers. It needs to stay lighthearted and comedic IMO, but not emulating what came before.

Part of the reason the show worked though and was popular was the apparent relationship between the 3. No amount of work will replicate that.

They will need to try and create a completely new show, but it'll take a hell of a long time, if ever for it to become anywhere near the same success.

Like them or loathe them, they whole format worked for them and what they did on the show. I bet you cant say the same for TG that is filmed in other countries with local presenters.

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
Chris Harris will never get it, he has a cult following on the net ... that is as far as he will get. the guy has zero personality so he will fail regardless of his passion for cars

i would be surprised if May and that other dose stay tbh ... unless the bbc is happy to grease their hands but with public scrutiny on pay within the beeb i cant see it.

may is the only one that should be kept on and let him decide who is decent enough to continue ... BUT the format needs to change the show is in decline and has been for some time

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Part of the reason the show worked though and was popular was the apparent relationship between the 3. No amount of work will replicate that.

They will need to try and create a completely new show, but it'll take a hell of a long time, if ever for it to become anywhere near the same success.

Like them or loathe them, they whole format worked for them and what they did on the show. I bet you cant say the same for TG that is filmed in other countries with local presenters.

The US version of top gear kind of works. It took me a season to get used to them though and even then the UK version was still miles better because of the chemistry between the presenters. Hard to know really.

What ever happened to top gear US anyway? Haven't seen much of it recently but then I don't really watch TV.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Chris Harris will never get it, he has a cult following on the net ... that is as far as he will get. the guy has zero personality so he will fail regardless of his passion for cars

i would be surprised if May and that other dose stay tbh ... unless the bbc is happy to grease their hands but with public scrutiny on pay within the beeb i cant see it.

may is the only one that should be kept on and let him decide who is decent enough to continue ... BUT the format needs to change the show is in decline and has been for some time

Nobby for president! Harris has zero or lower charisma but he can drive.........

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
The US version of top gear kind of works. It took me a season to get used to them though and even then the UK version was still miles better because of the chemistry between the presenters. Hard to know really.

What ever happened to top gear US anyway? Haven't seen much of it recently but then I don't really watch TV.

I'd say that if the US of A version had someone with Clarkson's verbal Diarea (I'll fix that spelling later), they'd be sued to poverty or sent to the chair to fry.

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3

I believe it was cancelled due to falling ratings and the extortionate amount BBC wanted to licence the show, and the fact the presenters apparently hated each other

big cyril

RMS Regular
I've a few replacements:

Johnny Vegas

Idris Elba

Roger Taylor (Queen drummer)

or if it's a girl then:

Suzi Perry

Steph McGovern (BBC breakfast) I'd say she would be good craic in the right environment.

Paul.

RMS Regular
Mr Wilson is at the peak of his competency hosting dry, badly-scripted uninteresting budget TV for people who don't read Motoring Magazines.

I can't not give that a like - that was utterly savage! :p I like him, but you're right in saying Top Gear fans probably wouldn't, as I'm not as big a fan as I once was.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/mar/26/jeremy-clarkson-top-gear-magazine-bbc?CMP=share_btn_tw

Jeremy Clarkson has told his critics that creating a rival to Top Gear “isn’t hard”, in what is almost certainly his last column for the BBC show’s monthly magazine.

Clarkson, who was told by the BBC on Thursday that his contract will not be renewed when it expires next week, used the column to challenge viewers who criticise the show to go and create a rival.

He said that unlike the glut of, say, food-related shows the market for TV motoring series is wide open.

“You have Jamie and Heston and Marco and Delia, and there’s that cake thing on the television,” he said. “Recipes are everywhere. It’s different with cars. You have Top Gear and Fifth Gear and Chris Harris and, er, that’s it. So, in order to shine, all you have to be is better than Captain Slow, a midget, a pensioner, an orangutan and a monkey. Which isn’t hard.”

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
I think there could be good things to come. Top Gear was great, but it was a little tired and needed a shake up.

Hopefully now Clarkson can pull something fresh and new together to keep us all entertained again, which I am sure he will. :grinning:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.