Lanes/Targa Rallies

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
OP
RallyCiaran
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
Meanwhile, there's a good point I forgot to mention last time, about the 2nd batch being stuck in a blizzard in dundrod by the time they got round there. Some people from that group reckoned they where 12+ seconds slower on the last run through dundrod paddock. No doubt that had an effect on the over all results. The MX5 crowd seeded at the front of group A struck lucky.

I was going to say that it didn't make much difference as the test max was 78 seconds, but I see they changed that for the final results.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
We were well into the second group and hit the snow as we headed up the mountain from the laws transport test. We couldn't find any grip on the dundrod paddock test on both passes but we had some craic and more importantly finished our first event which was our goal. The max time looks like it was 100 and we just squeezed under on both runs lol. We went for 'consistent' :p

DavyC

RMS Regular
If any of you are fed up and bored after the break since the INTBD Rally or have tweaked a few bits on the car and want to test them out then how about the TDC Multivenue Autotest on Jan 25th, despite the name it is actually all at one location at Mondello Park race track outside Naas in Co.Kildare so no navigator required. The club normally have 5 tests using all of the International track, parts of the rallycross track, part of the paddock and some of the outer access roads and carparks, these tests are normally tackled 4 times each giving 20 tests in total. Queueing for tests is not normally much of a problem either as the entrylist is divided into 5 groups with each group starting at a different test. Regs should be available in the next day or two so I'll post a link then.

With a long wait until Dungannon MC's Targa, we might be up for either this, or the MGCC's Derek Walker Trial in February... or perhaps should maybe just try to save pennies to cover the numerous Targa's late on in the year!... Usual old story of wanting to run to every event but money and other commitments might not allow.

@RallyCiaran ,aye there was a bit of confusion over that last run through Dundrod with most getting a MAX and randomly us and one other crew apparently beating the 70s Bogey. We figured there was enough hustle and bustle with other people querying it and it would be sorted out, but when the results were reposted with everyones actual times, us and the other crew apparently still beat the bogey, which left us in 1st by about 7s. We could see then that there was no way we'd beaten the 70s bogey as all the top crews were setting times around the 80s mark. I nipped out and got our time card 'stubs' and sure enough our time should have been 80s. When I went up and pointed that out, it turned out to be a typo in the excel sheet. Times had been entered in Hr:Min: sec format and they'd accidently typed 1 hour less into our finish times... never mind beating the bogey, we'd finished the test about 58mins before we'd started it!:cool:.. That dropped us to 2nd, but I'm glad we sorted it. A win, based on an obvious mistake like that would have been embarrassing. Shows how you maybe should make note of your own times throughout the day tho... no desrespect to the results people either, 116 crews doing 26 tests eqautes to a lot of excel entries!.. Fair play!

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
With a long wait until Dungannon MC's Targa, we might be up for either this, or the MGCC's Derek Walker Trial in February... or perhaps should maybe just try to save pennies to cover the numerous Targa's late on in the year!... Usual old story of wanting to run to every event but money and other commitments might not allow.

@RallyCiaran ,aye there was a bit of confusion over that last run through Dundrod with most getting a MAX and randomly us and one other crew apparently beating the 70s Bogey. We figured there was enough hustle and bustle with other people querying it and it would be sorted out, but when the results were reposted with everyones actual times, us and the other crew apparently still beat the bogey, which left us in 1st by about 7s. We could see then that there was no way we'd beaten the 70s bogey as all the top crews were setting times around the 80s mark. I nipped out and got our time card 'stubs' and sure enough our time should have been 80s. When I went up and pointed that out, it turned out to be a typo in the excel sheet. Times had been entered in Hr:Min: sec format and they'd accidently typed 1 hour less into our finish times... never mind beating the bogey, we'd finished the test about 58mins before we'd started it!:cool:.. That dropped us to 2nd, but I'm glad we sorted it. A win, based on an obvious mistake like that would have been embarrassing. Shows how you maybe should make note of your own times throughout the day tho... no desrespect to the results people either, 116 crews doing 26 tests eqautes to a lot of excel entries!.. Fair play!

Derek Walker is a great event. We're out in the K-Series Midget on it I think. Far from the ideal car, and way too pretty to do events like this, but i'm sure it will be good craic

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
OP
RallyCiaran
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
Shows how you maybe should make note of your own times throughout the day tho... no desrespect to the results people either, 116 crews doing 26 tests eqautes to a lot of excel entries!.. Fair play!

Oh absolutely. I always time the tests on my own stopwatch, and check that the marshal puts something similar on the time card. And I set my watch to "official time" at the first control so I can check the clocks at the start of each test. UAC clocks were all bang on but that is the exception rather than the rule, most of the targa clubs aren't quite so accurate. Having said that, when I picked through the NTBDR results there were still a few glaring errors, but it would be impossible to catch them all with the huge amount of data, results take long enough to come out.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular

peespeed

RMS Regular
25 entries in so far for the TDC Multiveue including James Wilson in his Mini, Jay Colville in the Midget and Robert Woodside Jnr in his MX5, any other Northern drivers fancy coming down for a blast around the track??

Last edited:

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
25 entries in so far for the TDC Multiveue including James Wilson in his Mini, Jay Colville in the Midget and Robert Woodside Jnr in his MX5, any other Northern drivers fancy coming down for a blast around the track??

Reckon it's a bit rough for the K-Series????

peter wilson

RMS Regular
Drives
Saab 95 Aero Hot
IMG_0298-vi.jpg

:cool:
Well done mate. Now that you've got your first rally done you should think about building a works rally replica out of that Marina for a bit of RWD fun.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Mmmmm, have gathered a lot of bits but missing a dolly sprint axle and a few other bits.
I fancy the Unipart / Castrol livery but I'd need some proper sideburns lol..

Going to see a bloke next week who used to have a ZR endurance rally car and has everything for it so I'll either put some more bits on the son's ZR or try and pick up a VVC 160 and put them on it.
We'll see. Bought some pics off Ray Brown of the ZR on the boxing day...:grinning:

peter wilson

RMS Regular
Drives
Saab 95 Aero Hot
Pictures look brilliant Fergus. That's the Marina I was thinking of. Loads of pictures of the Marina in the BMC Competition Dept book by Peter Browning, I think. Must have a look as I've a copy somewhere about the house. The ZRs and Rover equivalent seem to be popular in the endurance rallies across the water but don't seem to have caught on here. Always liked them and quite fancy the idea of a 160. Would make a good road going sprint/hillclimb car as well. Check out Ballard Nash Racing. They ran a 160 in the Wiscombe Park hillclimbs

peter wilson

RMS Regular
Drives
Saab 95 Aero Hot
Ps i think Brian Culchet drove one when he was contracted to BL although don't think that's him in the photo.

DavyC

RMS Regular

We'd fancy it alright Peter but afraid we're going to give it a miss and head to the Derek Walker a couple of weeks later. We feel we should make the effort to get down sometime tho for a nosey and to return the support of the few TDC ones who trek up to all the lanes up here. Looks like it's the land of the starlets down there and that we'd be in the minority in the MX!

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
We'd fancy it alright Peter but afraid we're going to give it a miss and head to the Derek Walker a couple of weeks later. We feel we should make the effort to get down sometime tho for a nosey and to return the support of the few TDC ones who trek up to all the lanes up here. Looks like it's the land of the starlets down there and that we'd be in the minority in the MX!
Dude. JJ's is a serious event too. I'm sure @peespeed has dates and details.

DavyC

RMS Regular

KevM

RMS Regular
I think someone somewhere said they are quite specific on insurance requirements in the south, affecting the northern drivers also.

Anyone know the right way of it?

peespeed

RMS Regular
..forgot to ask previously, what all's involved in obtaining the competition license for the southern events? Is it just a one off payment per year?

Not 100% sure but you might have to apply to the MSA in London for a comp licence, don't know if Motosport Ireland will give a licence to a Northern competitor. I'll find out

I think someone somewhere said they are quite specific on insurance requirements in the south, affecting the northern drivers also.

Anyone know the right way of it?

The insurance is similar to the insurance cover you take out at a Lanes/Targa Rally, only thing is a competitor on an MSA licence has to apply via MI for a BRDS letter to cover them.

RCT

RMS Regular
Not 100% sure but you might have to apply to the MSA in London for a comp licence, don't know if Motosport Ireland will give a licence to a Northern competitor. I'll find out

The insurance is similar to the insurance cover you take out at a Lanes/Targa Rally, only thing is a competitor on an MSA licence has to apply via MI for a BRDS letter to cover them.

It'll prob be this form here. It's on MI's website, but you'll need an msa comp licence. It then covers you for a full year.

http://www.motorsportireland.com/Li...Insurance_First_Renewal_Application.sflb.ashx

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
OP
RallyCiaran
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
Most people don't know what it is but the first round of the navigation rally championship is next Friday night with the Rathfriland Motor Club Tour of the Mournes.
http://www.anicc.org.uk/Resources/Documents/20150206_RMC_TourOfTheMournes_RegsEntryForm.pdf

Nav rallying is about finding the correct way round an unknown route. It sounds a bit strange but it's great craic. It is a legitimate reason to get to hoke about some of the best back roads in the country at night when there is pretty much no one else on them.

I think a lot of you targa rally lads would really enjoy them, and it gets the rally car out a few extra times a year. Entry is only £25 and insurance is £12.50 so it's cheap motorsport when you split it between between the crew.

I'll be competing in my white Nova so if you want to give it a try let me know who you are and I'll keep you right.

peespeed

RMS Regular
Bit of a favour to ask folks, the guys on the British Road Rallying website have a number of polls running at the moment and one is for Photographer of 2014 and my site has made it into the running. The voting is done via the website and Facebook so you can vote twice and both votes will count. If you can spare a couple of minutes can Ii ask you to cast a couple of votes, at the links below,for me please.

Website: http://www.britishroadrallying.com/britishroadrallying-com-awards-voting-photographer-of-2014/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.838317606205494.1073741947.386056361431623&type=1

For the Facebook vote you need to pick the picture with the 4 Peespeed photos and "LIKE" it

Many thanks

Small update on this, voting finished yesterday and I got word that I have won.....subject to confirmation :laughing: thanks for all the votes and likes, makes all the very early mornings worthwhile