MK3 Golf GTi 16v

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Could be a sticky lifter/tappet if it's nearer the top of the engine. I'm sure Sandown will be able to diagnose though.

dub

RMS Regular
OP
dub
Drives
Aero Wagon
Could be a sticky lifter/tappet if it's nearer the top of the engine. I'm sure Sandown will be able to diagnose though.

I'll drop her in for Dave to have a gander. By the sounds of it he has a good rep!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Yeah keep us updated. Not nice to hear she's a bit sickly :worried:

dub

RMS Regular
OP
dub
Drives
Aero Wagon
Given our situation, with a new arrival due anytime, she's having her grumpy time lol. She's huffing LOL.

dub

RMS Regular
OP
dub
Drives
Aero Wagon
That moment when you ring up Stock Bros and they're shut for the day :worried:

dub

RMS Regular
OP
dub
Drives
Aero Wagon
Called into Sandown Motors on my day off today. Sods law, I got her warmed up, and took her over, no tapping, fella was very understanding. Bit more running about, parked up to drop someone off, tapping again LOL. She's still booked in for next Thursday for a checkup, think I'll keep it and not cancel.

dub

RMS Regular
OP
dub
Drives
Aero Wagon
Bit of an update, managed to get the Golf a good clean and winter prep today. Clayed and sealed with Auto Finesse Power Seal (lovely stuff) bought with the help of @ae86clyde over at Colin Adam. It was getting dark so I couldn't get the DA out to apply it, could only do it by hand.

2013-11-16 14.20.21.jpg
2013-11-16 14.20.33.jpg

Mid foam.

2013-11-16 14.37.07.jpg
2013-11-16 14.37.42.jpg

Auto Finesse Iron Out doing the business, done that around the lower 1/3 of the car, worst were the wheels.

2013-11-16 16.11.12.jpg

Jump to it all sealed and lovely!

dub

RMS Regular
OP
dub
Drives
Aero Wagon
Frig me, it's been a while since I've updated this! I need to get some proper prep on the go!

Where to begin, the tapping was still about and I decided to have someone else look at it. We had a chat and initially decided on a replacement bearing being the culprit, working from the cheapest fix back. Still got the tap a few months later, so that wasn't it! Next guesstimate is the alternator which I'll probably book in for a replacement/refurbishment. With our new arrival about 6 months ago its been busy to get a good run at the motor, but lately I've picked up some 2nd hand trim pieces, the exterior trim is broken in places. I also got some gTechniq C4 for giving the trim a permanent dressing.

While she was in getting that bearing fixed the clutch was bothering me, so I got a replacement Fuchs one fitted, the action is nice although it's still bedding in. I'm pondering getting the box refurbished too and do it right.

I've to get some pipework off @Coog at the weekend so I'll need to get some replacement coolant and get the pipe changed, and I'm getting some wheels off @Fatman as soon I can arrange it with him, sorry about that buddy! Next on the list will be some Eibach Pro Kit springs for the Blistein dampers.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
nice original looking little car. We are breaking a 16v atm for a donor engine but the rest of it is complete and standard if you are looking bits

Reactions: dub

dub

RMS Regular
OP
dub
Drives
Aero Wagon
nice original looking little car. We are breaking a 16v atm for a donor engine but the rest of it is complete and standard if you are looking bits

Whereabouts would it be buddy?

dub

RMS Regular
OP
dub
Drives
Aero Wagon
Parkgate just off the m2 templepatrick junction, sitting at my yard

Not that far away from me. If I think of anything I'll be in touch, quickly off the top of my head, is the gearbox available/how many miles are on her?

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Never used gTechniq before but I used a heat-gun on the plastics of the the passat and it was absolutely amazing the difference it made.
You need to be careful, can easily over do it and also make it patchy.

Find a scrap faded bit of plastic trim off anything to practice on.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Don't use the heatgun. I sprayed those plastics with Simoniz satin paint a few years back and not sure what a heatgun would do to the paint. Probably cause a right mess.

I've lowering springs in the shed for a mk3 actually. Eibachs too but fronts had a coil removed and was a bit low on that wee car IMO. Ended up getting replacement front springs from Weeloaney but can't mind what brand they are. Think they also needed the larger top mount plates which I bought but never used lol.

Must remember that coolant pipe.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Don't use the heatgun. I sprayed those plastics with Simoniz satin paint a few years back and not sure what a heatgun would do to the paint. Probably cause a right mess.

I've lowering springs in the shed for a mk3 actually. Eibachs too but fronts had a coil removed and was a bit low on that wee car IMO. Ended up getting replacement front springs from Weeloaney but can't mind what brand they are. Think they also needed the larger top mount plates which I bought but never used lol.

Must remember that coolant pipe.

In this case do not used the heat gun, will just burn the paint.

Must get some of this gTechniq c4 never heard of it.

Sounds better than auto glym bumper care every week.

I've been tempt to use bumper texture paint on all of mine mine, but don't know how hard wearing it is.

But will try that other stuff first.

dub

RMS Regular
OP
dub
Drives
Aero Wagon
I'll report back with some findings @weeloaney, the durability of the stuff is what caught my eye, but as with everything the prep is the most important. Got a kit off eBay - goo.gl/RZsbcO

@Coog I can fire you in reminder on Sunday if you want lol! I'll be skiting down after lunch. The job you done on those plastics was good, they're just starting to get a bit tired now.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Aye they were the same shade of silver as the metalwork when I started no joke. Nothing worked on them not even the blow torch!

I've set a reminder in my calendar to grab the pipe from the workshop on my way home Sunday morning. I'll be about in the morning doing work to the Jimny then out on the sauce from about 2ish.

dub

RMS Regular
OP
dub
Drives
Aero Wagon
Ended up down @Coog's direction this afternoon picking up sometime coolant pipework, cheers again lad.

uploadfromtaptalk1394991867046.jpg

A pic with her younger brother lol!

uploadfromtaptalk1394991903887.jpg

Gave her a once over with some collinite this morning, awesome stuff.

dub

RMS Regular
OP
dub
Drives
Aero Wagon
Wee bit of an update, they won't be ready for Dubshed but I picked up a set of Solitudes from @Fatman (cheers again lad) for cheap, so they'll be a wee project once I get my finger out and build a bench to work on.

2014-03-29 15.29.26.jpg

Next was a small experiment with some gTechniq C4 on some extra trim I had lying about. Results were very good, expensive stuff, but great results @weeloaney

2014-04-03 20.14.31.jpg

Didn't get any befores on these unfortunately.

2014-04-03 20.14.18.jpg

I think you can tell which one has been done.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Does it dry are is it always a bit greasy like autoglym bumper care? Has done a good job by the looks of it

RoniN

RMS Regular
It drys/cure after about 12 hours.
Ridiculously expensive too £20 for 15ml and its not a permanent trim restorer as marketed. It will wear off.
There's a thread somewhere were it ruined the trim on a guys M3.

Cheers

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.