MK3 Golf GTi 16v

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

dub

RMS Regular
OP
dub
Drives
Aero Wagon
Does it dry are is it always a bit greasy like autoglym bumper care? Has done a good job by the looks of it

On the bottle it says to buff as soon you put it on so it's pretty dry.

It drys/cure after about 12 hours.
Ridiculously expensive too £20 for 15ml and its not a permanent trim restorer as marketed. It will wear off.
There's a thread somewhere were it ruined the trim on a guys M3.

Cheers

I'd be interested to read that @RoniN, it ain't expensive trim so it ain't bothering me.

EDIT : Found it (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=326223)

Last edited:

RoniN

RMS Regular
I'd be interested to read that @RoniN, it ain't expensive trim so it ain't bothering me.

Will have a dig for it, can't remember what forum it was on, it reacted with the trim and crystalised turning the trim patchy white, think the guy might of applied to much, never found out if he got it sorted.
Don't get me wrong it's probably the best on the market but having used other gtechniq products I'm not a fan.

Cheers

Reactions: dub

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
How long does it roughly last @RoniN

Tempted to paint the trims and bumpers with textured paint, tho I don't know how hard wearing it is

dub

RMS Regular
OP
dub
Drives
Aero Wagon
Think I found it @RoniN, the link above?

@weeloaney would plastidip suit you? I was thinking about it myself.

RoniN

RMS Regular
How long does it roughly last

Quoted as 2 years but this really depends on the life the car leads, how often its washed and what its washed with (tfr).
Realistically 8 to 9 months.

Think I found it @RoniN, the link above?

That's it, good find.

I think the same as all gtechniq products the problems arise as the prep and application has to be perfect as the products are very fickle.

Cheers

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
I've just put more G-techniq C4 on the other halves car today.

Its been over 2 years since I last applied it. Realistically it lasted 1 year! Its worth the £20-30 to not have to dress the bumpers/arches/mudflaps every few weeks!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gtechniq-...ssories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item3a7e7cee29

As for the fella with the E36, I'd guess he didn't prep properly and remove all of the previous silicon used to dress the plastics...

dub

RMS Regular
OP
dub
Drives
Aero Wagon
Took a quick snap this morning of the treated plastics @weeloaney

uploadfromtaptalk1400656997304.jpg

It's holding up well, slight patching on the rear, but I think that's due to the prep/degradation on the plastics.

Last edited:

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Looking good, my plastic have the odd mark in places, and would like them paint, but it's hard to get even texture over the repair to match the rest

dub

RMS Regular
OP
dub
Drives
Aero Wagon
Before I C4'd them, I'd considered Plastidipping them, might work!

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Before I C4'd them, I'd considered Plastidipping them, might work!

You do get textured bumper paint, tho the stuff we have at work doesn't need hardener, just thin it do to the desired texture and spray on, drys in no time.

Just don't know how good a lasting it is and tough, but does look good when done.

I have a full second set of bumpers arches and bump strips, so when doing up my car I might try the paint and it if goes wrong I've got spares.

dub

RMS Regular
OP
dub
Drives
Aero Wagon
Small update, I was trawling the GTi forums and I spotted an invitation for Volkswagen Drivers Magazine. I got in touch with the editor, Neil. A true gent, he gave me details and said he'd love to have the MK3 featured in the mags GTi special edition.

Gave her a quick clean, and skited down to a well known spot in Bangor for a snap.

Fast forward to yesterday and the completed magazine, with my article came through the letterbox. Quite pleased with it!

volkswagendrivermag.jpg

Cheers to @Coog for a couple of his snaps too!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Brilliant!! It is a belting little GTI that. Where can I get a copy????

Oh and Castlewellan this summer? Be the first time there for me that I haven't had any VW's :worried:

dub

RMS Regular
OP
dub
Drives
Aero Wagon
Brilliant!! It is a belting little GTI that. Where can I get a copy????

Oh and Castlewellan this summer? Be the first time there for me that I haven't had any VW's :worried:

Hehe she's a star! Uhm, I'm not sure if there are any physical stockists over here. I'll email the editor and see what he says.

90% sure we'll all be down for Castlewellan. There's still time to get one :p

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I've an A3 but I'd need to start polishing it now lol

I'll go in the Mazda and park with the mere mortals this time. Hopefully get to see the wee Golf again though :grinning:

dub

RMS Regular
OP
dub
Drives
Aero Wagon
I'll keep my eyes peeled for the MX5, shouldn't be hard :p

Hopefully we get a cracker of a day again. I was so burnt last year!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Pfft. What'll you be in smart arse?

(please don't say S3.... please don't say S3..... ple....)

Conor

RMS Regular
Pfft. What'll you be in smart arse?

(please don't say S3.... please don't say S3..... ple....)

Nope, cancelled that order a month or two ago for reasons i'll explain at some stage.

I'll have to slum it in the Touareg Altitude I non-sensically bought.

Conor

RMS Regular
What happened to the MK2 VR6 you bought from Neil?

Sold months ago, Neil contacted me saying a close mate of his wanted it if I was willing to sell, so the deal was done. I was getting absolutely no use out of it as I couldn't keep it in Belfast, so better it go to someone who could look after it right.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.