Mobile Alloy wheel refurbishing... 19" wheels..good job!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

ewok

RMS Regular
how does he straighten the wheels as i have two badly dented rims needing repaired

Jonny1992

RMS Regular
Drives
too much
can they repair a chip out of the rim (not done by me done by previous owner :mad:) or do i need to have a bit welded in ??

philip5660

RMS Member
Drives
GT-FOUR
He pushed the tyre back on mine and did them front and back...

Best thing to do is ring him or fire him an email with a pic attached, he's quick to respond.

tomah

RMS Regular
Drives
Acura MDX
Yes i was told by one place, wont say which one to get the tires fitted first then bring the wheels up to them :sob:

Now that I know much about refurbing alloys, but I can't see how a proper job could be done.

Also, I'd like to know who so I know who to avoid, but I respect your discretion.

Smart Alloy Belfast

Guys??????????
Are you the kind of people who cried when they had to sell their ZX Spectrums and hid behind the sofa when the internet was launched? Why would you repair a part of the rim that isn't damaged or subjected to the elements? Embrace new technologies, let go of the past and look to the future! I run a Very Very Professional business, read the posts! I'm sure whoever your discussing wouldn't appreciate you slagging their business either without any experiences to base your negativity on? Come on!

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
I havent mentioned the company so has no affect on thier business whatsoever.

I have seen some of thier work so im basing it on that and what i was told when i rang up for a price.

I was also told by my local tyre place if you do what was suggested when i come back for new tyres it can leave a lip and when they remove the tyre it can wreck the wheel.

I got my wheels done somewhere else and the wheels are still as good as when i got them done about 2 and a half years ago/30,000 miles.

I was shocked when told to get the tires fitted. The only reason he said this was i told him they were wheels i want in a rush for and didnt need the tyres back as i would be swapping the tyres over when the wheels were complete.

Also for me to do what he was suggesting i would have been left without a car for the time the refurb would take.

There is a reason why no matter how small the damage is the companyes strip the wheel to bare metal and redo the whole wheel.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Guys??????????
Are you the kind of people who cried when they had to sell their ZX Spectrums and hid behind the sofa when the internet was launched? Why would you repair a part of the rim that isn't damaged or subjected to the elements? Embrace new technologies, let go of the past and look to the future! I run a Very Very Professional business, read the posts! I'm sure whoever your discussing wouldn't appreciate you slagging their business either without any experiences to base your negativity on? Come on!

And just so everyone knows im not "slagging" your business and its not yours who im talking about (y) tho i havent seen or heard anything your work.

tomah

RMS Regular
Drives
Acura MDX
Guys??????????

I can confirm your business was not who he was referring to.

However, just for the banter, I'll say that just because the tyre covers the areas that the elements never see, doesn't mean you can do a proper job without removing the tyre.

For example, when a nurse cleans a wound, she doesn't just clean the cut, but is careful to clean all around the area. This is an important part of doing the job correctly.

Smart Alloy Belfast

So that everyone is aware we actually break the bead on the tyre and bring it back under the lip of the alloy. This allows us to get under the rim (so there is no lip!) Our repair is just as durable as anyone elses out there! If the inner rim needs repaired we carry out exactly the same process there as well. We strip it to bare metal, prime, paint (the entire face and inner if required) and lacquer, then cure under high powered infra red heat lamps (which generates heat and cures faster than any conventional oven). There are sub standard operators out there who will just carry out poor repairs (usually the cheapest ones!!) and they really should be avoided, they give us all a bad name! I didn't for one minute think that you were discussing me, although I believe I know who it was!!!!!!!! and yes, they should be avoided!!!!!!! We can normally turn a full set of alloys in a day, sometimes a very long day! Some companies suggest 3 -4 days, not because of a time consuming process, more to do with the volume of work they undertake! People think they are more expensive so therefore better? more to do with their overheads me thinks! Honestly all, don't let one bad experience put you off, there are still a few professionals out there!

tomah

RMS Regular
Drives
Acura MDX
We can normally turn a full set of alloys in a day, sometimes a very long day! Some companies suggest 3 -4 days, not because of a time consuming process, more to do with the volume of work they undertake! People think they are more expensive so therefore better? more to do with their overheads me thinks! Honestly all, don't let one bad experience put you off, there are still a few professionals out there!

Sometimes companies take longer to give the perception of greater care and quality of work. It's a kind of marketing ploy. They will make out that those who do the work in a day are careless, when the truth is, there's probably a similar amount of time spent doing the work.

Überdub

RMS Regular
Drives
Saab VW French
I can see that not having a tyre machine for removal and refitting could be a necessary limitation of a mobile business and the work done in the photographs looks fine cosmetically but for me personally, I'd be another who wouldn't invest the money in having alloys refurbed, if the tyres were kept on the rims. Not negativity, just a personal view.

Smart Alloy Belfast

Guys we do have a tyre removing machine! its just not always necessary to remove the tyre, more often than not it just needs broken and pushed off the rim. We also have a seperate spray booth with extraction unit, curing booth etc etc! Let go of your preconceptions :laughing:, honestly read the testimonials and ask yourself why pay more than is necessary?

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Do you powercoat the wheels first also which is normally why the wheels can take a bit longer in certain places. Apart from they spend overnight in an acid bath to start off.

Smart Alloy Belfast

Can see that we can't convince everyone! there are different processes for different levels of damage but honestly the finish is as near to perfection as it can possibly be. will throw up some pics! No hard feelings!:laughing:

Smart Alloy Belfast

guys have a look at facebook.com/smartalloybelfast. Loads of images to view and any feedback you have, whether positive or negative (although hopefully not! : ) ) would be appreciated!

Smart Alloy Belfast

Hi all! Just finished another set of BMW M-Sport 18's! getting loads of BM's lately???? Have a look at facebook.com/smartalloybelfast,(pics are there to view) your feedback and comments would be greatly appreciated! Cheers

dingle

RMS Regular
Drives
C63 AMG
dunno now - I know mr Smart Alloy above evaporated and didn't honor at least one warranty that I know of. I'm not sure what the circumstances were but he has given up the franchise.

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
The Alloy Boys

They did the 19" 225 wheel on my BMW, colour match was perfect and not hard to pay!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.