My evo viii also fails mot test cause of factory fitted hid lights..HELP

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

graham donnelly

RMS Regular
Drives
Vw Golf Anni Tdi
Hi all,took my mitsubishi evo to the mot test centre on thursday and was failed because the the FACTORY fitted zenon,hid,headlights were not self leveling and did not have headlight washers.This i think is a complete joke,as far as im aware the evos 7-9 didnt come with either of these. Can anyone help me on a way round this stupid problem so i can get my car on the road. Thanks

graham donnelly

RMS Regular
OP
graham donnelly
Drives
Vw Golf Anni Tdi
anyone know of the guy, Timothy Walsh from banbridge co down who also has had this same problem??

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
This has been covered on here before mate - have a search as I'm pretty sure someone else had trouble with an Evo, so he had to do a botch job of adding washer jets to get it through.

DaddyC should be able to find the thread...

graham donnelly

RMS Regular
OP
graham donnelly
Drives
Vw Golf Anni Tdi
Yeah its happened before,i have been searching this fourm but cant find much about this.Yes you can do a diy job from the windscreen washers down to the headlights but that doesnt sort out the self leveling headlight issue,there has to be a way round this..

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Self leveling isn't required if it's got sports suspension. An Evo will have sports suspension. You'll be fine with just the washers.

graham donnelly

RMS Regular
OP
graham donnelly
Drives
Vw Golf Anni Tdi
yes it has sports suspension but they now state in the dvlni rules that. some high performance vechicles fitted with hid headlamps that have limited luggage space and STIFF suspension do not require a self levelling system.It is acceped that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems.In such cases the benefit of the doubt must be given. Where headlamp levelling or cleaning devices are missing or defective,but there is Doubt as to whether they are required,the benefit of the Doubt should should be given.... So what you you guys make of this.??

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
Sounds like you'll need to do the DIY washerbottle feed and hope you get the benefit of some discretion in relation to the leveling. I think it's a complete farce that you should have to do it though bearing in mind that the majority of actual aftermarket 'HID' kit bush burner bulb kits blind people 364 days of the year aside from when they put their normal bulbs in for MOT. I've yet to drive with an Evo oncoming / behind me and think their headlights are intrusive.

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Graham think I put the scud on ya that morning when I said to ya! Sorry bout that

If you got a cheap return deal for car trip to England mot there? NI regulations changed to state MUST have whereas. Think englands worded may require for the levellers and washers?

It's an absolute farce!!!!

Phil_D

RMS Regular
Just to throw a spanner in the works I fitted an aftermarket hid kit to my 159 as the std bulbs were like candles and sailed throught MOT yesterday with no headlight washers and no self levelling.

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
Just to throw a spanner in the works I fitted an aftermarket hid kit to my 159 as the std bulbs were like candles and sailed throught MOT yesterday with no headlight washers and no self levelling.

I've read similar a couple of times now.

Would it be worth just booking a full test in elsewhere instead of a re-test? Perhaps better luck in some other places.

RickyB

RMS Regular
Drives
E3VO X
I Motd one at Boucher last week and put a t-piece into the pipe leading to washer jets. Ran a pipe down to each headlight and taped it down so that water would trickle onto the headlight. Nobody had a problem with it and self-leveling was never mentioned.

Jackotdi

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon Cupra
I MOTd my DC5 last month and had this problem aswell. Did as said above and ran some tubing from a t piece and then stuck universal washers on with number plate stickies, looked nasty but got it passed and ripped straight off after!

r6kyl

RMS Regular
Drives
Tweed hat and sl
Book a boat to scotland and get an mot there. Absolute assholes in this country

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
its not just over here, EU directives have put this in motion ... believe England etc has the same rules now

just plain stupid, but its also thanks to those people who put blinding lights into their cars to begin with that caused the rule.

feel sorry for any import stuff ... but as discussed DIY jobs with tubing etc can get u through. i ripped my hids out could not be arsed with the hassle anymore

Book a boat to scotland and get an mot there. Absolute assholes in this country

graham donnelly

RMS Regular
OP
graham donnelly
Drives
Vw Golf Anni Tdi
Flip i hope i can get round this problem without having to take a trip to england or scotland to get the evo an mot.I might just get the washers sorted to the headlights and if they say anything at the re-test about the self levelling of the head lamps i will then mention about my car having Stiff/Sport suspenion.Might also try another test centre as well.

JayT

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3eeeeeee
Surely if this was appealed and the car is standard uk spec they would have to let it through as it was built when that was acceptable. I could understand if it was a jap import, they can't just put people in a position they have to modify there cars from standard to suit rules some half wit came up with.

KeithRobinson

RMS Regular
Drives
911Turbo
This is a bit mental. The MOT testers should be passing cars knowing that they are completely standard and cannot possibly pass without modification.

Madsport

RMS Member
Drives
1967 mini and a
thats a joke !!!!!! did you try taking it to the dealer and getting them to put her through ???? see what they say about as if its factory standard they should stand over it no matter what age she is ?? Plus alot depends on what examiner you get in the test centre sure there a law onto themselves.

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
Surely if this was appealed and the car is standard uk spec they would have to let it through as it was built when that was acceptable. I could understand if it was a jap import, they can't just put people in a position they have to modify there cars from standard to suit rules some half wit came up with.

Mitsubishi changed the headlights to get them SVA'd then changed them back.

Run a pipe from your window washers (y)

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Why not just fit a nice small set of washer jets to the bumper properly? It wouldn't take long, it wouldn't cost much (even if you were buying a new washer bottle pump and jets from Halfords) and it would eliminate this nonsense year in year out...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.