New Arrangements for Taxing and Registering Vehicles

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Darragh

RMS Regular
Drives
Supra TT6
Was in a small post office today and the girl behind the counter said they now do v10s also in balmoral test center today I seen the v10 forms sitting so maybe mot centers aswell :grinning:

Sudesh

RMS Regular
Drives
Various
Big question for me is, with the new setup, can we now put cherished transfers back onto certificate when doing a transfer, rather than having to transfer to a donor vehicle.

Sudesh

RMS Regular
Drives
Various
That will be a huge relief when changing cars and looking to put cherished numbers on retention and so forth. Never understood why N.I didn't do this from day one, but was fine in the UK.

CR

RMS Regular
Drives
A4 Avant
@Sudesh I've the form filled out and fee ready to go, going to send it on recorded delivery and see how I get on.

Last edited:

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
are we going to start getting english regs allocated to new NI cars now or are they sticking with the ABC 1234 format?

just asked the question on the phone to Lana from DVLA:

DVLA will issue a northern ireland region registration number which is next in the sequence. if you want a geogrpahical based reg e.g. one from Enniskillen, Blefats, Coleraine, ETC you need to attach a covering letter specifying it - they will look at it on a case by case basis.

Retention - yes it is now available for NI folk

Change of ownership - just send to DVLA Swansea.

Reactions: CR

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Went into the Kennedy Centre Post Office yesterday for change of ownership and tax the Z3. Took a little while as it was the first they'd done it but was all relatively painless. Only downside is I used to get paid to sit in the tax office as I work in the Gasworks and just sat in the tax office until all was done then went back to work.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Tried to tax her car on Monday, it asked for 16 digit ref number from the reminder form, which they don't have on the NI one FFS and she doesn't know where her V5 is.

They should have that sorted before sending a leaflet with it saying to do it online.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
just asked the question on the phone to Lana from DVLA:

DVLA will issue a northern ireland region registration number which is next in the sequence. if you want a geogrpahical based reg e.g. one from Enniskillen, Blefats, Coleraine, ETC you need to attach a covering letter specifying it - they will look at it on a case by case basis.

Retention - yes it is now available for NI folk

Change of ownership - just send to DVLA Swansea.
Makes it sound like they'll eventually do away with the diff NI county plates and just have a giant NI list to generate plates from. Would make more sense tbh

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
Tried to tax her car on Monday, it asked for 16 digit ref number from the reminder form, which they don't have on the NI one FFS and she doesn't know where her V5 is.

They should have that sorted before sending a leaflet with it saying to do it online.
hardly their fault Mrs Dunlop cant find her tax book lol

colin84

RMS Regular
I need to tax a car that I haven't taxed before, it says on the reminder form that it can't be used in a post office. Can I use it in the post office now?

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken

Yeah I'm a bit stuck here too. There's no reference on the V11, and using the ref from the V5 it still says it's not recognised. Tried the phone line and there's no human contact. It's all automated and asks for the same references. Bit stuck now...

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Yeah I'm a bit stuck here too. There's no reference on the V11, and using the ref from the V5 it still says it's not recognised. Tried the phone line and there's no human contact. It's all automated and asks for the same references. Bit stuck now...

Great, so ill likely be in the same boat when/if she manages to find her V5

Bryan

RMS Regular
I'm having a nightmare of a time with a number plate transfer.

I sent the application to Coleraine on the 11th of July expecting them to process it since it was "in before the close" on the 18th. I phoned Coleraine last Wednesday and was told that the last day for registration transfers was the 11th of July and that my application would have been forwarded to Swansea. So I phoned Swansea yesterday to ask them if they had received my application and they told me to bugger off and not call back for 14 days. Apparently they only took responsibility for NI on the 21/07.

This could end up costing me £7,000 since I've sold the vehicle and the person doesn't want to pick it up until the registration has been transferred and I currently have no idea how long that is going to take.

In fairness to the DVLNI they were always very efficient when it came to registration transfers and were always able to tell me if they had received it and what stage it was at any time I called for an enquiry.

They should have had an overlap period and that's what I thought was going to happen. I assumed they were going to take all post up until the 18th of July and then that meant they had until the end of the month to work their way through it locally at DVLNI. It seems stupid to close on a random date like that for any other reason.

Sgt_Major

RMS Regular
Drives
E81 123d
Just off the phone there about my registration from England, the V5 was shipped to Swansea few weeks ago who destroyed it.

Got through within a couple minutes to an operator, explained it, she transferred me to someone else, explained it again, put on hold for 10 mins, came back to say it'll be processed now and with me in 2 weeks.

Handy enough if it works.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
Great, so ill likely be in the same boat when/if she manages to find her V5

On hold with them now as they investigate! They think i own a car i haven't had since about 10 years ago. Had 4 cars since :-( Frankly tempted to just not bother with tax as it's never going to tally up on their systems.

Ok, so apparently they're going to investigate and get back to me in 72 hours! Guy said none of my records have been handed over from DVA NI in Coleraine. Cool.

Bryan

RMS Regular
It's going to be a total diaster. Anyone I've talked to in Swansea just couldn't care less and let out a sigh once you mention "NI".

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.