Project Impreza - heading for 400

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
never done one before, and dont wanna by the kit for one just, if i could get it done for a few quid i def would , save any bother

seaside-racer

RMS Regular
Drives
discovery & wrx
Yes most will make it up for you simon, but if you can get a lend of one do it yourself, real easy to do, it's like closing a pair of pliers.

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
Ok cool , da might be up in Ards this week he can try north down for me , if not I'll diy it

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
ABS pump, Brake lines, boost solenoid / map sensor , brake bias block, clutch master cylinder and lines and throttle cable over onto the blue shell

3011_1.jpeg

and a quick snap of the inside now its minus carpet etc.

3011_2.jpeg

Now the next thing ineed in the bay is the bay loom, as it tucks in behind various bits and bobs, like the clutch hardlines as u can see

3011_3.jpeg

it then sits along the bulkhead and feeds through to the cabin on the passenger side here

3011_4.jpeg

so the loom is totally disconnected on the silver shell right back to the same point in the bay

3011_5.jpeg

problem being in the cabin this loom backs onto the heater matrix and there isnt room to get it fed through with all the dash etc in

3011_6.jpeg

so time to bite the bullet and get tore in to the silver car :worried:

3011_7.jpeg

3011_8.jpeg

Someone has previously butcherd the wiring , from what i can tell there seems to have been a tubro timer, possible a boost controller and at LEAST one rear fog spliced into the loom in various places along with some pretty random gauge wiring :worried:

3011_9.jpeg

labeled up as best i could

3011_10.jpeg

Then out with the dash and support bar

3011_11.jpeg

more ropy wiring to try and sort through

3011_12.jpeg

and ready to transplant

3011_13.jpeg

which brings us to here, the heater matrix is next to come out, labeled it up well and ready to remove

3011_15.jpeg

3011_14.jpeg

Thats it for today , want to try and get back to it asap so i dont forget where everything goes :grinning:

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
finally man handled the heater/aircon bits out of the car last night, just left with the main loom
0112_1.JPG

0112_2.JPG

stripping out the other shell was fast becasue it didnt matter about labeling it or anything , taking my time with this one though as it needs to be labeled and put into the other shell properly, so its slow going :worried:

0112_3.JPG

0112_4.JPG

0112_5.JPG

seaside-racer

RMS Regular
Drives
discovery & wrx
Loving this thread si, gonna have to get one up for m own, parts are starting to gather up here :grinning:. I and I know another version two being built up and brought out next year too ;).

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
i may not make it to next year...check out the today i bought thread , divorce proceedings imminent lol (y)

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
Finally got the loom extracted from the shell tonight , made some interesting discoveries too,
anyway , loom laid on the floor, im going to remove anything that wasnt OEM, and then rewire the rear fog and boost gauge separately.

0512_1.jpeg

Came across this wee yoke, below the carpet, below the sounds deadening , below the ECU right against the floor of the shell in the passenger footwell,
0512_2.jpeg

no idea what it is , but im guessing its a tracker possibly? it comes with its own battery and what looks like an ariel / antenna which was run along the chassis with the radio antenae
0512_3.jpeg

is it possible to find out who the subscription is with or how it could be activated ? otherwise ill likely just cut it out of the loom and buck it out.

getting on rightly now with the bay , just the fuel filter to remove and the front chassis loom and thats the most the stuff off the silver car

0512_4.jpeg

Looking pretty sparse inside too, fingers crossed i can remember where everything goes :grinning:

0512_5.jpeg

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Great to see the progress on this, I'm sure I'll regret asking, but what are you planning to do with the silver shell?

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
My bro inlaw was talking about building it into a track / sprint car as I have all the bits there to complete it but he has a lot on with their new build etc so likely just sell it to make a bit of room for phase 2 of this build :grinning:

seaside-racer

RMS Regular
Drives
discovery & wrx
Do it yourself simon, would be awesome craic. Or do you plan to take yours to one at some point, I am thinking about taking mine up cultra hill sometime for the laugh.

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
Both looms installed today, the dash loom needs fixed in place inside the car , but it allowed me to get most of the rest of the engine bay put back together and hopefully make a start on the dash this week.

0712_2.JPG

0712_4.JPG

0712_1.JPG

0712_3.JPG

0712_5.JPG

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
Fair play for taking on such a mammoth project with the swap. Are you going to put a facelift dash in since you have the whole dash out anyway?

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
Nope I took the facelift dash out of that shell to put my own one in , there are too many differences on wiring etc to be a neat OEM job , and while probly prefer the facelift look , getting it neat and tidy and fully functional is main priority for now

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
Fitted the wiper motor, fule filter and lines and a few other bits to the bay

1312_1.jpeg

Then on to sort the loom inside, fitted the loom to all its fixing points on the baulk head and keep it as neat as possible,

1312_2.jpeg

1312_3.jpeg

Put the heater matrix and air con in and connected it up, put the main fuse board in and connected as much as possible and put the dash bar in

1312_4.jpeg

Offered the dash up to the shell and the tabs that it fixes to are in a different position between shells, :worried: total PITA so will have to make up brackets or weld/rivet tabs to secure it

1312_5.jpeg

once i get the dash in, i can get the steering column in and the last of the loom connected, then in theory i can drop the engine in and see if she runs :grinning:

bigsigh

RMS Regular
OP
bigsigh
Drives
BMW M2
yes gettin there, this dash thing is a setback, but we will see how we get on

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Rock and a hard place there. Work with loom or work with brackets. If you prefer the facelift dash then maybe its time to see about making it work instead?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.