RMS Trip to the Ring 2015

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Definitely not lol. I'd need to leave tomorrow morning.

Who/what is going?

Arfur

RMS Regular
Drives
ST170/Passat TDI
Getting into the mood now!! Straight from nightshift onto the boat though.... stingy boss wouldn't give me Wednesday night off :worried: @Paddy_R may have to do some driving after all!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Which smart phone app is best to record laps and timings, etc?

Harrys lap timer has 3 versions available from £6 to £20. Plus Michelin does one.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
really handy for communication between the cars when on the move

Is that not technically illegal on the road though? Like using a phone? Unless the radio is handsfree, lol :grinning:

They really clamp down on phones at the moment...

Marc

RMS Moderator

Harrys lap timer has 3 versions available from £6 to £20. Plus Michelin does one.

I will bring my GoPro with me and you can use if for your laps if you want ?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Is that not technically illegal on the road though? Like using a phone? Unless the radio is handsfree, lol :grinning:

They really clamp down on phones at the moment...

Handheld radios are OK for talking. Odd, but one of those things. Probably to allow the Police or taxi drivers or something to use them? Anyway passengers like me will probably be trying to make ourselves useful lol

I will bring my GoPro with me and you can use if for your laps if you want ?

Thanks Marc - would take better video than my phone but might be a pain in the bum to share video? Was going to grab an app so we can definitely not :innocent: *ahem* look at lap times, G-forces and other beardy gubbins over steaks in the Pistenklause in the evening :oops:

Marc

RMS Moderator
Thanks Marc - would take better video than my phone but might be a pain in the bum to share video? Was going to grab an app so we can definitely not :innocent: *ahem* look at lap times, G-forces and other beardy gubbins over steaks in the Pistenklause in the evening :oops:
Thats a good point actually!
you will likely need the Petrol Head edition then

Products - Harry's GPS Laptimer

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR

Harrys seems like the one to have, does what it says on the tin. All you need is the cheapest to get laptimes.

The fancier versions mostly add video stuff like putting in data overlays (speed, g-force, etc.) on top of video taken with the phone. Only really works if you capture video with the phone itself, with the app running on it. In theory it can be used with an external camera like the GoPro, but it is an almighty faff.

Laptiming is only as good as the GPS on the phone, and they tend to be cheap and cheerful jobs for basic navigation rather than accurate at speed. Seen some pretty random laptime/speed claims taken with phones ;)

Used Harrys briefly for a while, and it is just fine. What 99.999% of people use. But gave up myself, too much hassle using phones and whatnot. Stuck in a GoPro on a fixed mount and an Aim Solo timer, they just take care of themselves.

If you want, you can still combine data overlays and all that with separate PC software. Never bother myself, just clutters up the video, but again lots of people like it. A bit of a faff doing it manually, so if you want that sort of thing then going with Harrys and using the phone to capture video is the way to go.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Moments like that need a dislike button. :worried:
I could "borrow" one without asking as there are dozens lying outside the office not being used; but most of our development vehicles have at least half a million investment in them...... might not be the best career move to have my face photographed behind the wheel of one of them at the 'ring......... I could however, wear a Bill Oddie mask....... hmmmmmmm

Last edited:

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
I could "borrow" one without asking as there are dozens lying outside the office not being used; but most of our development vehicles have at least half a million investment in them...... might not be the best career move to have my face photographed behind the wheel of one of them at the 'ring......... I could however, wear a Bill Oddie mask....... hmmmmmmm

Tell you what, to save your job I'll drive it. I'll take the hit for you!

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
So the trip has begun. @Arfur has his ST170 Focus, @Cooper is in his BMW 335d, @johnny has his stripped out Clio 172 and @nigelmcg turned up in a Porsche 911 GT3!

Just @Cartunes to meet us now (if he's still going) and @Marc who's flying over.
I'm flying over.... i've been in Czech republic all week but had to nip back to Crewe today. Will be flying to Cologne/Bonn tomorrow morning and driving to the 'ring. I'll get some euro mobile deal on my phone and fire the number up here. I hope to be at the Renn Hotel by 1pm

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
My mobile number is 07463 66 99 79
UK number.

My movements tomorrow:

Leave Crewe@ 0300
Arrive Stanstead@ 0615
Flight to Koln/Bonn@ 0755
Arrive Koln Bonn@ 1020
Arrive a la Ring@ 1300

Del

Last edited:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
You'll arrive before us probably. I've closed this thread due to new thread.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.