RNS510

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

EMC

RMS Regular
Drives
Edition 30 Gti
This thread has probably been done to the death but would someone be able to answer a few questions. Want to upgrade to an RNS510 in a Mark 5 Golf. Is it Plug and Play? Also there are so many variations, will the most recent version still fit the mark 5? I would also like the Iphone 5 connectivity.

Im a bit clueless on this area.

Thanks Folks

pablo

RMS Moderator
problem is the can gateway will likely need to be upgraded too depending on the year of car. I had to do this in my passat it wasnt hard but cost about £80 for a gateway module (plug and play but did need coded). Some of the older RNS units didnt need it though.

if you dont the unit wont switch off properly and drains the battery overnight

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
If it's late 07 on any revision will work. If it's early 07 or before, only revision A will work with 1100 firmware.

You can get a later can gateway coded to your car to allow installation of a later unit.

Revision C units on have an LED screen and can accept SD cards above 2/4GB. Though you can update the firmware to a later one (2660) on early models too.

Personally I'd stick with a C. H etc don't warrant the extra £ in my opinion.

EMC

RMS Regular
OP
EMC
Drives
Edition 30 Gti
@Lyons i had searched on ebay and found that Version C was up near (and over sometimes) the 500 mark. What is the real difference in C and H? Car is 2008 so should be fine with any Version. Is it better to go RNS or go aftermarket would you think?

@amg306 As @Broomy asked what headunit did you go for and whats the verdict on it? Any pictures?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I paid £480 odd for a version C 2 years ago!

Get yourself onto mk5golfgti.co.uk forum and wait for one to appear.

Do you have a multifunction wheel or highline display? The RNS is a truely great unit, so I'd stick with it over aftermarket personally.

To be honest I'm not too clued up in the latest revisions, but I know changes are minimal and the C etc really does everythign you could need. We have one in the Mk6 and I had one in my Octavia and it was perfect. Coupled with MDI its a great bit of kit.

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Just bought a JVC unit that caraudiodirect had on special offer at the time, it's nothing special, but has I-Pod connectivity and control, and hands free. Think adaptors, facias etc was £140 all in so it's no top of the range unit, and she is happy!

Darren91

RMS Regular
part number for the lightening cable - 5N0 035 554 F

@matt1207 could I try that cable in my ami just to see if it works?

matt1207

RMS Regular
Drives
mk7.5 R
Yea no probs. Only problem with the cable is that it doesn't fit the iPhone with the case on it :mad:. Going to have to buy a lightening extension cable that will fit with the case.

Arnie

RMS Regular
Drives
Civic
I know im well late to the party on this post, but have a few questions about this topic...

How can you tell if an RNS510 is version A?
Tried having a nosey on ebay but half dont say what version they are, and the rest are all B upwards. Looking to get one for an 05 Golf so im assuming version A is what im after from what @Lyons has said above?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
The last letter in the part number.

A and B will be the cheapest and will mean you won't need to change your can gateway. But C on are LED screens.

I got a pre coded gateway there for £65 so it opens up your options for newer RNS units.

Arnie

RMS Regular
Drives
Civic
Ahh brilliant thanks, would rather have the LED display, makes such a difference to the look.

Have seen this one which seems a reasonable price(?) if it is one of the latest models like the ad says. Would that fit my car if i got one of these gateways @Lyons ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-RNS-51...0&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=201328510644&rt=nc

Honestly have no clue about how the audio works, my knowledge goes as far as knowing the pointy thing on the roof is connected to the radio haha!

Arnie

RMS Regular
Drives
Civic
Thats brilliant Lyons, just been bought so thats a nice weight off the wallet haha.

Might be a stupid question but it says it comes with a code card, is this the pre-coded gateway?

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
Check your own gateway first you maybe ok
An "E" gateway will still work with the RNS
Mine the e gateway with the latest RNS "R"
All works fine

Arnie

RMS Regular
Drives
Civic
Ah ok cheers @gizmo98 don't really know about these things so will need to read up on gateways. Never even heard of them till today lol!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.