Speed camera van query

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Anyone seen any cameras yet? Didn't see any on my morning commute
Seen a few more cops on the road and of course a 'Road Safety' van ready to nab people coming off the brow of a hill on that real dangerous open straight carriageway near the Country Garage in Ballymena.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
IMG_20240125_105501_829.jpg

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Massive accident on the Bangor carriageway, right where a speed van was sitting (Near the Ark Farm)
Probably slammed the brakes on and got down to 30 (in a 60) so they dont get caught if any of the donuts i happened to be near today are anything to go by : unamused:

Dirty rat *******s that got me on Frosses Road were out sneaking in the exact same spot today. All nicely tucked in against a hedge outside someones driveway on the opposite side of the carriageway.

Screenshot 2024-01-25 173012.jpg

Noticed a lot more Police reports on Waze today, some still there and some moved on. Thankfully i put notification sounds on lol.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
A list that's already online

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
Think it's more they way they sit in certain places like under flyovers coming into a speed change. With the stats for last year being 71 road deaths iirc. They're are several debatable places they sit for speed thay have never had a road death recorded/major accident blackspot.

Not condoling speeding but they speech about road safety and they sit in places which can only be for revenue gathering.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
If they're gathering revenue it's because drivers make it an easy win.

The solution is simple 👌

Dervhead

RMS Regular
Drives
SEAT
So lets say that the 10% + 2mph "rule" is REAL...

If you are travelling in a 30mph zone, and are doing 35mph, are you within this limit and prosecution would start at 36mph? Or does prosecution start at 10% + 2mph (35mph)?

Asking for a friend... :grinning:

EDIT: Seems you will be prosecuted at 35mph. Worst of it was in view of camera for 3 seconds before hitting 35mph. 1st second 33mph, 2nd second 34mph, 3rd second 35mph (oh shoot there's the speed van) 4th second and onwards until I pass the van 12 seconds later, 30mph... Just have to wait now I suppose.

Last edited:

billyboker

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus
Think I got done this morning knock dual carriageway coming down the hill heading towards Stormont looked at speed and it was 40 in a 30. This will be my First time caught will I get a speed awareness course. Where about do they hold them.

Dervhead

RMS Regular
Drives
SEAT
Think I got done this morning knock dual carriageway coming down the hill heading towards Stormont looked at speed and it was 40 in a 30. This will be my First time caught will I get a speed awareness course. Where about do they hold them.

Think you will be good for the speed awareness course.

For the speed awareness course, the speed of the offence must fall within the criteria stated below:
  • 30 mph up to and including 42 mph
  • 40 mph up to and including 53 mph
  • 50 mph up to and including 64 mph
  • 60 mph up to and including 75 mph
  • 70 mph up to and including 86 mph
(Speed limits and penalties for breaking them)

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
They are a private firm now and to be honest I disagree with them entirely now. They sit on roads that have never had a single accident never mind a fatality. They will illegal park in alot of places full agenda now to make money. I know it's a simple case of not speeding but they do sit in some dubious places.

Dervhead

RMS Regular
Drives
SEAT
They are a private firm now and to be honest I disagree with them entirely now. They sit on roads that have never had a single accident never mind a fatality. They will illegal park in alot of places full agenda now to make money. I know it's a simple case of not speeding but they do sit in some dubious places.

That's a good point. I have seen them sit some places they are needed, but like you said, some of the places seem a money making exercise.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
That's a good point. I have seen them sit some places they are needed, but like you said, some of the places seem a money making exercise.

Coming into the 30 at the international airport from templepatrick direction is an almost daily favourite spot for them and a real money-spinner. They sit on the left hand side just after the 30 mph sign and you can't see them until you're right up beside them and it's usually too late by then. They get plenty coming from Antrim direction too at the same spot. Some people think they can only detect in one direction which is wrong. They can cover both sides of the road sitting in the same spot.

Last edited: