Track bike!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
After getting bitten hard by the trackday bug (and being fearful of a hefty repair bill by binning my blade on track) I decided to buy a cheap track bike.

It's a 1995 pre-injection CBR600.
Engine has recently been re-built by crossette motorcycles with new rings and bearings.

It's got a full micron system, maxton shock and fork internals, steering damper, upgraded Fireblade calipers and new discs. Tuned head with hrc cams and has been set up with Dynojet kit by Holeshot racing.

Dynoed @ 108 bhp (see chart).

Not bad for a grand!
Basically the cost of 2 new Fireblade body panels!

image.jpg

Dyno readout CBR600.jpeg

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
Oh my!! Nice we quick action throttle too!

Period paint scheme to finish?

Not long before your gonna be looking at race licenses.

Awaits somebody to say "all it needs is a nice 2/3 digit plate"

gcon45

RMS Regular
OP
gcon45
Drives
and rides
Brilliant job, fair play Connor, are you for Kirky on Sunday? A few of the mates are heading up

Hoped to be but I have the bike stripped at the moment and just tidying it up so I might have to wait until the next one.

Considering buying a race fairing for it.

gcon45

RMS Regular
OP
gcon45
Drives
and rides
that is awesome, some set of balls on you to fire a bike round a track lol

It's great! Cheap, fun motorsport.

Road racing, now that takes balls and I certainly wouldn't entertain it!

The track is the safest environment to push the limits and learn.

Hope to get to many more track days before the end of the summer!

johnm

RMS Regular
thats amazing for a grand!
As soon as I get my licence sorted first thing im doing is a couple of track days just to try and get used to it, and what my limits are.
Especially in the wet.

gcon45

RMS Regular
OP
gcon45
Drives
and rides
Funny you should say that.

The guy even chucked in a set of extra wheels with good wet tyres and discs on them and a set of tyre warmers.

Haven't ridden on track in the wet as yet but it's supposed to be interesting!
They say you'll be surprised at the amount of grip that's actually available with hot wets on.

johnm

RMS Regular
I hope you high 5'd him! lol

Good friend of mine has said that to me before, that going slower (to a point) will make it worse.
My head works differently so its just getting out of that mindset and only place to do it safely will be the track, no one coming cars to slide into if it does go down.

Trucker36

RMS Regular
Drives
350zGt gixxer
Done the track day on Sunday at kirky. Have been looking at track bikes ever since lol. Fair play to you Connor, for getting one straight away. Highly reccomend this to anyone with a bike.

gcon45

RMS Regular
OP
gcon45
Drives
and rides
Track bike now ready to go.

A lot off fiddly wee jobs needed done.

The fireblade front caliper conversion was using washers as spacers so had a set of proper spacers made up. Bought a radiator off a Kawasaki ZX7-R, which is bigger than the standard CBR one and gives better cooling. Didn't take many modifications to fit either. Just some brackets and a 90 degree top hose.

Bought a set of racing fairings. Fitment isn't perfect but will do well for a track bike. Had the tank painted and might get the fairings done to match but again, not overly important for a track bike.

Cleaned the whole bike, serviced it, tidied up wiring and fitted a set of sticky Pirelli Supercorsa racing slicks (SC1 & SC2).

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hel

RMS Regular
Good man, you seemed to have fun last time out. Itll be even more fun now with a track hack!

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Give that SC1 a good chance to heat up, soft and sticky, but can push the front if too cold.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Just in case you're on the holding grid for too long, that's all. I washed the front out a few years ago at Fishermans on a cold front. Rookie mistake on my part to be fair.

gcon45

RMS Regular
OP
gcon45
Drives
and rides
Ouch! Fishermans is the one corner where you can make or break your lap I found.

It's hard to believe how much grip is actually there when tipping into it on warm tyres.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
That vid shows my wrong entry point into the corner. It's a double apex corner, but you never really 'clip' either apex, usually a few feet shy of it, let the bike run wide on the way to the chicane and off you go. I never really gave myself a chance to do an outlap or 2 and let the tyres heat up. I've never used tyre warmers.

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
No, the knee day was Nutts on 15th Aug 2008. The vid above was 9/9/07.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.