Trackskills Sunday 5th November 2023

G24NTR

RMS Regular
Few of the regulars are heading to the last Trackskills of the year, great end to the season with glowing brake discs and driving around the track as the sun sets and plunges it into darkness.

For those who've never been to a track day and are maybe a reluctant to head out themselves usually plenty of us are happy for extra ballast 😅

Video of the final session from last year:
Darkness Falls 2022

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Got the green light for this. So you boys that have done it a few times. What do I need for it? Helmet? Where’s best to get one? Halfords or the likes? are spare brakes pads necessary? Anyone that’s bought track insurance where did you get it from. Cheers

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Got the green light for this. So you boys that have done it a few times. What do I need for it? Helmet? Where’s best to get one? Halfords or the likes? are spare brakes pads necessary? Anyone that’s bought track insurance where did you get it from. Cheers

Yes mate, good stuff!

Helmet I got fro Demon Tweeks, pretty quick delivery. I just went for a basic open face OMP one, fine for the odd track day. Locally motorsport and spares may sell them? Also noticed a rally prep place in lisburn opened there at end of the Longstone, they may stock helmets thuugg haven't been in to see.

Oad wise the wee lotus won't use much, depends how much is left on existing pads though. Nice to have spares with you just in case as that's the usual thing that ends a day early.

Track insurance unfortunately I can't help out, I priced it once for the Ring and never looked again lol, it was mental money. I'm sure pistonheads or the Elise forums would have good recommendations though.
Personally I just don't go at 100%, leave plenty room when passing others or being passed, and let quicker cars pass you quickly and it's been fine.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I've the same helmet as @gav525 which I got off amazon. Even an open faced scooter helmet would do which is what I used for years before that.

I'll have the van... everyone dumps their spare wheels, petrol, tools, parts, etc into it to keep their stuff out of the car, so feel free to bring what you need & do the same. Usually bring a rake of tools too. It'll lie open all day for you's to work away at.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Thanks for the advice. I got a few quotes for insurance and it’s about £200! So as mentioned I think I’ll just leave it and not go balls out, build up the pace a bit throughout the day and not be acting the hero in corners!

The brakes on it are good, only changed about 1500 miles ago for pagids so there’s plenty of meat on them. I’ll get a helmet ordered up….hopefully it’s not a washout.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Hope to be going, fitted new coil packs and plugs today and that went fine. Went to replace the clutch slave cylinder and it doesn’t seem to be correct for the pipe as the pipe won’t seal, pish/clip style fitting.

So need to look about another and hopefully can get it in time.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
What’s the minimum age for track days .it is 17 and full license required .?

zafturbo

RMS Regular
My 16 yr old is doing my head in just .saves my car getting wrecked a while longer I suppose .😂
In saying that ,more chance of me doing it than him .sad when you kid is a better driver than you lol

G24NTR

RMS Regular
OP
G24NTR
My 16 yr old is doing my head in just .saves my car getting wrecked a while longer I suppose .😂
In saying that ,more chance of me doing it than him .sad when you kid is a better driver than you lol

Sure just bring him along as a passenger, everyone is happy!

PAULW

RMS Regular
Really tempted to book this for my first track day, thanks all for the answers to the previous questions.

So I need a helmet, regarding the day itself, is there any charge to bring a mate down? Can they drive too or is this an additional charge?

Do you all have fancy brake pads on? My front pads only have a few hundred miles on them but are run-of-the-mill blueprint ones, tried a few hard stops and they started to stink but still worked but that was only the road, will they disintegrate on track after a few laps? (Type R is the car in question, so nothing too powerful).

G24NTR

RMS Regular
OP
G24NTR
Bring a mate and they can sign on free as a driver too. As a beginner you won't need fancy pads, though I'd bring an extra set as you may go through them quicker than you think, I'd probably bring along a set of decent OEM ones as a back up. If you add in the odd cool down lap during the session it'll help the brake system as Kirkistown is notoriously hard on brakes.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I think weight plays a big part regarding the brake pads and tyres. Afaik It’s 15min sessions at at a time which could be maybe 8-10 laps if driving continuously (although you can prob do a few laps and then come back in to rest things a bit? I’d never have driven anything hard for 15 min on the road, I think the idea is build up the pace throughout the day and take plenty of breaks, that’s my plan anyway.

althebass

RMS Regular
Drives
Model A Ford
If it’s possible to rotate your tyres during the day it’ll help a lot - the front left takes a real beating.
I’d definitely recommend bringing a spare set of pads.
Turning off traction/stability control can be a good idea too as if you’re driving on the limit the car can really get through the rear brakes trying to keep it stable.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Yeah saw the photos. I guess we wait and see what the Trackskills team say on the day.