Trackskills Track Day Sunday 13th April 2014

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
heard there was a little white mx5 at this going very well!

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
There was indeed, was that yours? :grinning:

wish lol, was Davy Cousins of East Engineering. Its a wee rental track car you can rent for the day.

totally standard engine and mechanically. Just lightened, geo setup and wide wheels lol

mike_2

RMS Regular
Drives
MR2, EP3 TypeR
Here's another video from Sunday, with John driving this time (six week gap to the next one, gives us more time to save for decent tires).

jagged

RMS Regular
Drives
640D G.C. E36M3
Very well driven @jagged, I think it's safe to say the Vanos are working.
Oh yes and how , although it wasn't the vanos just two sensors connected the wrong way round , anyway car is lapping faster , having @evo98 behind you helps ! The under/overtake makes for good video , who ever heard of an m3 sandwich . Enjoyed your vids , good lines and supreme consistency , quality pics what's your camera ?

mike_2

RMS Regular
Drives
MR2, EP3 TypeR
Thanks @jagged. Its a GoPro hero 3. It is a good camera alright, professional grade quality and nicely priced as the hero 3+ has replaced it now.

mike_2

RMS Regular
Drives
MR2, EP3 TypeR
I should have added also that it is the Black edition.

mike_2

RMS Regular
Drives
MR2, EP3 TypeR
Completely agree regards spending the money, camera thankfully was heavily reduced and it was a Christmas present from my wife.
Believe me it was much easier to explain a camera to her than a set of coilovers or ecu :laughing:

evo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
Thanks , wouldn't mind a camera but those are a bit expensive , my mindset is still to spend the money on the car , @Gibboka had his phone in the previous day just need to get it mounted better.

Get a camera bought first. Its one of the first things i bought because when i was racing before i always regretted not having any videos of it. Its a small price to pay for all the memorys it will bring back in another few years. I must have about 50 videos now.

I bought that go-pro camera 2 years ago for £180 on ebay an i seen groupon doing a deal on the go pro 3 with all the stuff with it for £240 or something in round that. Im sure you would get a second hand one like mine for about £100.

@jagged sure you would just loved to have that video from your own car the other day lol. An im sure we can make a few more movies :grinning:

jagged

RMS Regular
Drives
640D G.C. E36M3
Two vids would be good especially a rear facing one when I was in front to capture some of your antics , hope you build your walls straighter than you drive that bonda lol . would have loved to have had the harry's lap timer running like @Gibboka had the previous day giving the speeds , though my speedo and it were pretty close despite a lower diff , 100 mph ish that day thu debtors 120 ish last sunday

evo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
Will i remember looking in the mirror an you were having few antics of your own lol. Yea i wouldnt mind another one for the craic.

What was your speedo reading on the back straight? Im not sure my own would be reading right because ive got bigger wheels than standard alou the lower profile tyres might compensate. I cant really see my speedo anyhow an if i did i wouldnt want to be taking my eyes of the track at that speed especially going into debtors

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
A brand new Hero3+ White edition is £199:-. More than good enough quality, all you need is to add whatever mounts suit your car/helmet/bonnet/bumper/mirrors/whatever.

Like Tony said, a second hand Hero3, or even a Hero2, would be a fair bit less than that, and still just fine quality.

That said, I see a lot of people using just a phone or similar. Not the same quality, and you would not mount it outside the car, but combined with something like Harry's Laptimer (there is an equivalent for Android, just don't remember the name right now) that kind of setup is great for trackdays.

jagged

RMS Regular
Drives
640D G.C. E36M3
Saw just over 120 on the back straight the one or two times I looked down , be interesting to get accurate reading, I'd be surprised if its as high as that

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I would say 120 down the back straight would be about right for you boys. Saw around 100-110 in the Lotus last week, but hard to compare, you two go a lot harder. The Lotus speedo is unaffected by the conversion (measures at the wheels).

mike_2

RMS Regular
Drives
MR2, EP3 TypeR
Final video from Sunday for anyone that's interested.
Happy Easter to all of you who celebrate (so as not to offend) and roll on May 25th.

evo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
Right well my digital speedo isnt reading right then. My passenger said i was doing 132 on the back straight.

Might download that harrysap timer an see what im really doing :grinning:

StephenDc2

RMS Regular
Saw just over 120 on the back straight the one or two times I looked down , be interesting to get accurate reading, I'd be surprised if its as high as that

You should be doing at least 120mph in my opinion, when I was behind you in the civic battling before you's added slicks and diff etc my car was geared to 123mph on 5th gear limiter and I was hitting the limiter at the other side of debtors with you in front of me :grinning:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
May well be 130 for all I know, you two were going like possessed :grinning:

A GPS will show for sure (y)

evo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
You should be doing at least 120mph in my opinion, when I was behind you in the civic battling before you's added slicks and diff etc my car was geared to 123mph on 5th gear limiter and I was hitting the limiter at the other side of debtors with you in front of me :grinning:

Yes this sounds more like it because i too would hit the limiter in 5th just as i was exiting debtors this is why i started hitting 6th just before i lashed her into the corner :grinning:

I have an iphone 5s here wonder should i download harrys laptimer onto it for bit of craic an will it be better than the go-pro

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Sixth is not necessarily faster than fifth though...

If you have an i-thingy, then just get Harry's on it and see what is what :grinning:

Just for the top speed, any GPS app should do though.

Last edited:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I had another problem between colonial and fisherman's - hit the limiter in third on the short straight between them, but if I changed up then I had to change back again like one second later... So I basically just sat on the limiter from the exit of colonial to the exit of the chicane, lol :grinning:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.