What estate would you buy? (5-6k)

BarryPort

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
Have ended up in exactly what I said I wouldn’t, I’m now my father. :worried:

Picked up a B7 Passat estate, 2.0 TDI 140, cheap tax and nice Executive spec

That’s nothing, there was a thread on here that lasted for weeks about a gentleman mulling over sports cars & he ended up in a Megane or something. Can’t find it unfortunately but at least the B7 Passat was in the mix.

r16vka

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi 80 V6
Nothing wrong with a b7 passat, I've had mine 5 years now, about to pass 150k and if I wanted to replace it for something fresher with a similar spec I'd need to spend more than I can justify 🙈
Does everything I need, fits 3 kids and all their stuff. Even did the airport run the other week with four overweight pensioners and their cases for a cruise 😊
20230630_052003.jpg

BurningSmell

RMS Regular
OP
B
I’ve lasted all of 8 months and bored of the Passat, plus my wife hates it.

On the lookout for C7 A6 Avant 2.0TDI, F11 520D, F31 320D or at a push very tempted by a F36 420D Gran Coupe……..decisions decisions.

Appreciate will be spending more than last years 5/6k but telling myself I need to keep the next buy.

There was a lovely black 420D in Newtownabbey last week but it didn’t last long.

Did see this A6 pop on today, although a check shows it advertised in March with different pics and last V5 from March:

Last edited:

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
I’ve lasted all of 8 months and bored of the Passat, plus my wife hates it.

On the lookout for C7 A6 Avant 2.0TDI, F11 520D, F31 320D or at a push very tempted by a F36 420D Gran Coupe……..decisions decisions.

Appreciate will be spending more than last years 5/6k but telling myself I need to keep the next buy.

There was a lovely black 420D in Newtownabbey last week but it didn’t last long.

Did see this A6 pop on today, although a check shows it advertised in March with different pics and last V5 from March:
You need a 3.0 BiTdi in your life.... :joy:

StevenMc29

RMS Regular
On a very sensible 60mph run I see high 40s mpg Normally with mixed driving I see around 40mpg although do have roofbars and bike carriers on all the time. Towing the caravan gives 25mpg.

For comparison 2.0 TDI Tiguan manual was doing 45mpg and 35mpg for the same journeys.

I do rate it though, just wish I had the time to hold out for a 530d which is probably doing similar mpg but with more grunt.

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
Out of them all thought it would be the thirstiest, although combined on some shows 60mpg so hoping it would do late 40’s
It's a bit lighter than the F11 but my F10 I was getting high 30s in peak winter and now things have warmed up around 44-46 from my 530d doing Belfast to Enniskillen. I don't see why the 520d shouldn't be able to exceed that.

On the A6s, if they've had the emissions 'fix' done to the 2.0 TDI I'd look to get it rolled back.

BurningSmell

RMS Regular
OP
B
On a very sensible 60mph run I see high 40s mpg Normally with mixed driving I see around 40mpg although do have roofbars and bike carriers on all the time. Towing the caravan gives 25mpg.

For comparison 2.0 TDI Tiguan manual was doing 45mpg and 35mpg for the same journeys.

I do rate it though, just wish I had the time to hold out for a 530d which is probably doing similar mpg but with more grunt.

What made you go for the 5 series? I do like the size, albeit think the 3 series touring looks better. Can be hit and miss with some of the 5 series, would definitely need to be M Sport for the better look

StevenMc29

RMS Regular
The extra size inside and the boot, extra weight for towing and rear air suspension.

Was in a colleagues 330d X Drive recently. If the dog box fits in the boot, it would be a good option for us tbf.