1988 Porsche 924S - project break it for cash

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

pablo

RMS Moderator
Hey all, some of you may know the car myself and @Woodcutter bought for the Rusty Nuts rally. We bought it as a non runner, got it running, some basic jobs for MOT, and then hooned it around NI for 3 days as part of the Rally. This included 3 track sessions at Nutts Corner which was good fun.

So after the rally we weren't sure what to do with it. Ive been after a project for ages so cut Graeme loose and took ownership.

Some pics as we got it:

Doesnt look too bad but some serious issues:

- it didnt run (DME relay borked)
- both sills needed patching
- speedo didnt work
- most electrical stuff didnt work (sunroof/boot release/heater etc). Most fuses were corroded so ok once replaced.
- radio borked, wiring a mess
- rear number plate lights didnt work
- both front seats have tears in the fabric
- bad dent in rear panel
- front and rear bumpers a mess
- exhaust blowing out

So we sorted most that, as well as wheel bearing, PS belt, quick oil service, and it was good to go. Years ticket on it and rally time!

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
First up the car was made to run. DME relay sorted it. Then the sills were looked at. Couple of panels welded in and skimmed over then painted black.

Speedo cable replaced, wheel bearing replaced and it was good to go.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
So 450 odd miles around NI and only one problem, refused to start in Aughnacloy 6 miles from the end of day 1. Quick (and I do mean quick) tow to Todds Leap and traced problem to another duff fuse or bad connection for DME relay. Not sure which sorted it but been 100% since.

Some larking on the beach:

Amazingly didnt spend too much time in petrol stations

Quick nip round nutts:

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
So at this point it got parked up at mine and ignored for a week. Then I took it over and sacked Graeme ;)

First off strip off all the stickers and liquid wrap. I really should have bought Graeme out AFTER letting him help me do this as it was a ******* NIGHTMARE. Took over a week to get it all off. We didnt put the wrap on thick enough (was a quick lash for the rally) so had to pick it off in little bits. many blisters later it was white again.

So first thing I done was to figure out what was rusty. Stripped the whole front off:

Actually pretty good under there:

Used a dose of Krust on anywhere that had surface rust.

The front bumper (fibreglass) had a couple of chunks out of it, so out came the pot of pon and the bumper got a fill and lick of paint. Plus some new pressed plates:

Some satin black on some parts to tidy them up.

Last edited:

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
Next up was the rear. Had that ugly dent in the rear panel (at the S in porsche)

filled it with pon, not the handiest shape to rework :worried:

Built it up over about 4 goes

Still needs another go but will do rightly then.

Also took off the rear mudflaps to see what state the car was in under them. Not too pretty but no holes. Grinder took the surface crap off then rust treated, skim of pon and coat of primer.

Will bond the mudflaps back on after as the mounting lugs are shot.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
And how it sits now. Will get those rear aches and rear panel painted next weekend likely. Someone bonded in the drivers side rear light so I cant get it out!

Also have ordered new side trims and PORSCHE decals for the doors and rear panel:

$(KGrHqN,!jcFELPZTbc8BSV7mqJ6Q!~~60_57.JPG

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
Still plenty to do, including new wheels, suspension and brakes :grinning: Rear is a torsion bar so needs the axle out. Will remove the fuel tank too as they are prone to leaking. Do some undersealing while Im in there.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Love that wee car, served us well over the Rusty Nuts Rally weekend.

Good to see it getting a bit of well deserved attention :grinning:

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Cool wee project, what are these like to drive?often thought about getting one of these.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
They are well built alright. Despite its recent neglect I'd say it was well looked after. Had a ding in the arse at some point but must have been fairly minor.

Would be epic with another 100bhp but will look into that next year :grinning:

m5lvyn

RMS Regular
Drives
GT4
Great project! These looks stunning in clean oem form. Looking forward to seeing your progress mate, (y):cool:.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
They are well built alright. Despite its recent neglect I'd say it was well looked after. Had a ding in the arse at some point but must have been fairly minor.

Would be epic with another 100bhp but will look into that next year :grinning:

944 Turbo transplant doable, or not worth the hassle/£?

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Very doable since the 944 is essentially the same body with wider arches (the 924 carrera gt is recognisable as 944 shaped)

Early 944 has exact same interior etc

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.