1988 Porsche 924S - project break it for cash

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414422277769.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414422277769.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 92

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
So I removed the fuel tank for 2 reasons.

1) to check there were no cracks/splits etc in the tank or hoses
2) to seal the boot floor etc above the tank

I dropped the tank off to be cleaned and pressure tested and once blasted some bad pitting was obvious under the straps. The tank is now down at AutoRadz in Lisburn to be sealed internally. Then a lick of exterior sealant, some new breather pipes and its good to go.

Worst of the pitting:

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
So in parallel the cleanup of the underside continues. The crossmember was really bad with surface corrosion as was in around the inside of the rear valance. These will be attacked, treated, primed and sealed in the hope of stopping any real damage. Started on sat there but 2.5hrs saw little progress with only the exhaust mount, one beam mount and the fuel pump mount cleaned and treated.

Rear valance/exhaust mount

Fuel pump mount (not as bad as I thought):

Fuel filter mount:

Top shock mount:

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
cheers boyders - Im off tomorrow so heading up for a few hours to finish the metal prep under the rear. I want to have a coat of primer on before I leave all being well. Its a crappy job but hopefully will leave the rear end in good shape.

The beam is sitting ready to go back in, as is the gearbox and Ill have the tank back by the weekend so hopefully the next couple of weekends will see it back on its back wheels. Then some minor jobs up front and Ill get it out a spin.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
I am buying it back for £450! :p

Typical Pablo dilemma - lowest offer wins! :grinning: We all know that (Newtownabbey's) Edd China works for free from his popular TV show - new tyres appear on the finished car, panels get painted and details happen as if by magic and all for free.

I'll stretch to £200, but that's as low as I can go!

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
Iife kinda got in the way there for a while but should get a good run at it on sat. Have the fuel tank in place but left the strap at home which has to hook in BEFORE the tank can go in. Oops :grinning:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.