1999 Subaru Impreza Turbo 2000 wagon

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
Its due to go to oma in the morning but i hate the fact its beating me so was looking at it again tonight.
Would this being broke provide enough of a boost leak and air into the system to screw with it. Its just at the very end of the air intake arm.

DSC_0149.JPG
DSC_0151.JPG

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
It is before the turbo so shouldnt give a boost leak but its sucking in air after the afm thats not metered for. It will prob be running very lean which is bad.

Last edited:

Gambit

RMS Regular
As above but it looks like its been like that for a while?

Anyhow block it off on the inlet pipe and just let the rubber pipe vent to atmosphere as im pretty sure it's just a rocker/head breather.

Then see does it run any better

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
Yeah its one of the pcv head breathers so tape up the big pipe that goes onto the turbo and just let the small one dangle.

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
Yeah, it had plastic metal applied and a clip on it but it was broke free as i was able to just twist it round with no force.

It goes into the head from just before the turbo and theres a mountain of other vacuum pipes etc that run into and from the head so i've took a bit of piping and ran it down, and connected it all back up, covered it up with an expoxy resin. So let that cure for an hour or so, I/C back on and start it up. See if it behaves, if so, source a good condition 2nd one and apoligise to Michael.
If not, up to them in the morning.
Hahaha, sorry about that @Gambit, its for a good cause though :p

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
It will be sucking with the pressure of an amsterdam whore so make sure nothing can come off and go through your turbo and engine.

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
I spent about 15 mins with a hoover, pointy plyers and 500 grit to make sure nothing was left lol!!
The previous bodge had a hard pipe that slotted into it so its inside the boost pipe and the resin is all round it, i'll take a pic when i go back out to see if its cured.

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
Well fixing that fixed the boost problem.
However its still not idling right and when driving holding at revs it will hold power, then drop power then bring it back.
Definitely going up tomorrow morning.

Gambit

RMS Regular
You didnt knock the idle stepper motor did you when doing intercooler? Its mounted on the throttle body on top right, sits between coilpack n dumpvalve, two screws and a little o-ring. Can be removed and cleaned also.

And where did you get your new maf from?

Can see it here, black plug coming out right of throttle body
subaru__impreza_turbo_2000_wagon_1999_3_lgw.jpg

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
is that not the iacv? Everywhere I looked told me thats what that was.
I took it out and cleaned it too though. Wondered why it didnt look like the pic's I'd seen but just figured thats what was up with it.
It was a 2nd ebay one, a year old, and had emailed back and forth to the seller so was confident enough and he wrapped it up really well too, but I know, should have got a new one.

Gambit

RMS Regular
Yeah its the idle control valve, my99/00 use stepper motor hence different to the usual iacv you see online, but if its cleaned then dead on.

Try blanking the dump valve just cut a piece of tin and slide it between dump and intercooler and check your idle again

Yeah i wouldnt have risked a 2nd hand maf but when they go they do throw a cel and the car is undriveable as its in limp mode, so yours does seem ok

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
Ahh, cool. yeah, I think i've a wack of alu in the garage, going to cut a bit and try it, even for the run up tomorrow and see how it behaves.
Thing is going to get a thrashing when its fixed lol!
Miss driving it!

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
havent heard back from them yet......lol.
So im convincing myself that they just havent looked at it yet instead of the other train of thought that is.....its completely buggered and they've spent all day looking at it to figure it out, still havent and I'm going to end up having to sell a kidney to fix it.
I've more anxiety than a 5yr old at Christmas!

Didnt even get the chance to block off the DV as the aul fella was following me up to give me a lift home and I slept in so had to jump up and out the door.

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
Aye thats what i reckon. Said himself on Wednesday he might not get to look at it on Thursday but can take it in then.
Old ass Reno 25 up there this morning too, wondered if its a turbo one, havent seen one since I was a kid but didnt want to go noseying around lol :oops:

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Out of the 2 uk turbo 2000's I had they both idled a bit lumpy and boost would feel a bit wavy at times when they were standard power, the only thing that fixed it was stand alone management, which I had always planned to do anyway. Doing away with the maf and going simtek was the best move I ever made.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Aye thats what i reckon. Said himself on Wednesday he might not get to look at it on Thursday but can take it in then.
Old ass Reno 25 up there this morning too, wondered if its a turbo one, havent seen one since I was a kid but didnt want to go noseying around lol :oops:

It's a R21 turbo

johnm

RMS Regular
OP
johnm
Thats definitely in the plans for it next year, upping the power a bit.

Also picked up a cf front strut brace for £40 off ebay the other day for it.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
You will pick up a simtek for around £350, add a set of 550 injectors, walbro 255, TD05, new age wrx intercooler(fits a lot easier than the sti one) and a turbo back exhaust and you will see a genuine 340-350bhp

Last edited:
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.