Ariel Atom 2 Supercharged 300

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
You sure those are Bilstein dampers? Look just like my Nitrons, helper springs and all, and the price you quoted looks like Nitron money too. If they are Nitrons then that is no bad thing :cool:

I have yokohama AD08 on at the minute 195/50/15 on the front and 225/45/16 on the rear, these are quite hard thou and would be ok for road and track days. I have a set of A048 YOKOHAMAS with the car too that the previous owner is sending over, these would be softer an offer quite a bit more grip.

I used the AD08 for a long time on the Hondus. Exactly the same dimensions as yours too, we could bulk buy tyres together :p

Work brilliantly on the road, even in the wet, and ride very nicely. They have re-enforced super stiff tyre walls too, and work amazingly well on track. Though they did go off a bit from the heat after about ten minutes on track.

Absolutely brilliant tyre for use on both road and track, by a long, long, long way the best road tyre I have ever used on track.

The A048 is more like the 888 (A048 a good bit more expensive). Switched to 888 on the Hondus earlier this year. Much, much, much more grip on track than the AD08 (which already have much, much, much more grip than any other road tyre!). Work just fine on the road too, but not as nice on the road as the AD08.

Horses for courses and all that. Both work fine for either, but AD08 optimised for road and A048 optimised for track.

AD08 and 888 seem to last about the same for me, although the 888 have less tread to start with so wear out quicker just from that.

Having said all that, obviously you drive a lot harder than I do :grinning:

evo98

RMS Regular
OP
evo98
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
Lighter car mate too so should even itself out.
I was talking to the previous owner an he is sending over my other set of A048 too so i wont be worried about burning the tyres off. You say the AD08 went off in 10 mins then the A048 should be even less. I like the sound of the 888 thou, they are a fraction of the price of the 048s too. There is a group buy going on the Atom forum for specially made rotas i know they wouldnt be a great rim but they are coming in at a nice price an look the part, i was thinking of maybe putting hard compound slicks all round on them an use them for track days sprints etc. i shall only have the car out in the warm weather anyhow so shouldnt take them too long to get to temperature.

The coilovers are defo bilstein with eibach springs. I have an email with all the option prices. Might try an stick in on here to scare the life out of yous :grinning: option 3 is a sadev sequential gearbox at 22 grand lol.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
@evo98 for the guff certain people give rota wheels they are pretty strong, might not be as light as what you have on, tho depends if there custom you never know.

A lot drifting boys use them and I've seen ones get knocked up against the walls at mitts corner and apart from superficial damage they were perfectly fine.

And that's with cars at the very least, twice as heavy as the Atom.

evo98

RMS Regular
OP
evo98
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
Yes mate what ever ones they are making they are the lightest of the range anyhow. They are custom making them to suit the larger alcons after mucking something up with the first batch. Will see can i get a picture here now

evo98

RMS Regular
OP
evo98
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
This is them rota slipstreams. They have weight saving holes in them but the atom boys dont like these an they are doing away with that.

image.jpg

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
You say the AD08 went off in 10 mins then the A048 should be even less. I like the sound of the 888 thou, they are a fraction of the price of the 048s too.

No, the other way around. The AD08 would overheat after about 10 minutes (still fine to drive, just got a bit slidey - fine again for the next session once cooled down). The A048 would be like the 888 - take a couple of laps to get heat in them, especially in a light car, but then they just grip more and more the harder you go!

The A048 would also be like 888, in that you need to follow the break-in procedure from new to get the best out of them. The first time out on a brand new set they were not great, but after scrubbing them in and going through two to three heat cycles they really bed in and go to work.

As for the Rotas, that is what I have on the Hondus (Rota Slipstream), and they are absolutely fine. Nothing wrong with them at all. As with everything else on the Interweb, 99.999% of the "experts" have never actually tried themselves and just echo something they "heard" somewhere else. "Somebody said that..." "I have heard that..." "I saw a video that..." and so on. It is the same with CL pads, and all the rest of it. Almost entirely loads of noise and very little substance.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Do you know if the gear selector cable mod is done Tony ? its caught me out before :worried:

Last edited:

evo98

RMS Regular
OP
evo98
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
Do you know if the throttle cable mod is done Tony ? its caught me out before :worried:

Whats this all about an how can you tell? All the big issues have been done on this car. I will certainly check it out. Does it stick or something?

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Whats this all about an how can you tell? All the big issues have been done on this car. I will certainly check it out. Does it stick or something?

Sorry I meant the gear selector cable's, they shear off at the end but there is an uprated one available. Happened me not long ago and its a right PITA

evo98

RMS Regular
OP
evo98
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
Sorry I meant the gear selector cable's, they shear off at the end but there is an uprated one available. Happened me not long ago and its a right PITA

Cheers i will get them checked but im sure they are fine.

@svensktoppen did you ever try a hard slick on the Hondus? Pat told me he was running them on his lotus an he bought them new and lasted him a lifetime.

Gibbo

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
No, the other way around. The AD08 would overheat after about 10 minutes (still fine to drive, just got a bit slidey - fine again for the next session once cooled down). The A048 would be like the 888 - take a couple of laps to get heat in them, especially in a light car, but then they just grip more and more the harder you go!

The A048 would also be like 888, in that you need to follow the break-in procedure from new to get the best out of them. The first time out on a brand new set they were not great, but after scrubbing them in and going through two to three heat cycles they really bed in and go to work.

I've a funny feeling the Atom will be 'slidey' at the best of times (especially with @evo98 at the helm :p) never mind when the tyres overheating. Get the A048s on!

andy.

RMS Regular
Drives
MKVI GTI
Might try an stick in on here to scare the life out of yous :grinning: option 3 is a sadev sequential gearbox at 22 grand lol.

Does this still count with the sequential?

evo98

RMS Regular
OP
evo98
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
Mine doesnt have a sequential box an very few do with them being that price. I find the gear box very easy to use an it feels great going through all the gears. Think this is the first K series box ive had that hasnt been crunching/rasping in some of the gears

mcmurray

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Would you consider a sequential box for it at some stage? Something like the Quaiffe one even?

You're firing gears at that fast in the first video.

evo98

RMS Regular
OP
evo98
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
No dont think id bother tbh. Far too expensive. Id imagine even a quaife one would cost a fortune to fit.

evo98

RMS Regular
OP
evo98
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
Here is that receipt i was telling yous about. It has the full printed out service history with it too which is nice to have. I will continue to build this for the next owner If i ever take the notion to sell it.

image.jpg

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.