Belfast City Center speed limit reduced to 20mph

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

adam1942

RMS Regular
Drives
2015 F56
Belfast city centre gets 20mph speed limit

Talking to U105, the Deputy Lord Mayor Guy Spence said: “The streets that are affected I’m led to believe are Donegal Square, Anne Street, May Street, Gresham Street, Upper Queen Street, Talbot Street, Chichester Street, Victoria Street, Waring Street and York Street.

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
Why don't they try and solve the shocking driving rather than implementing a 30mph speed limit?

I can see me being late for work and getting done for doing 25 in a 20 after blasting up the M2 at a ton.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I wonder how many lives this will save....When was the last time someone in those areas was killed by a vehicle doing 20-30mph ?
Or are most pedestrians and cyclists killed through their own suicidal actions in those areas ? And probably by buses !

And wonder how many wallets it will lighten.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
I really don't see why people are annoyed by this.
I drive at whatever speed I deem safe for the environment and in truth I never look at my speedo going through town because there are enough other more important potential hazards to consider.
If I did however I'd guess it would be showing 10-20mph as truthfully any faster is crazy, especially during the day time.

Andy55

RMS Regular
Will this stop people using their mobiles while driving around the city? or stop pedestrians darting out in front of you? or stop people jumping red lights? etc etc
Decreasing the speed limit isn't going to make people that currently pay little attention to their surroundings, pay any more attention. They're still going to be the same distracted and careless drivers they currently are.

Any word if they are introducing fixed speed cameras or are we likely to expect a mobile speed van parked up in a pay and display space?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
It'll probably encourage people to use their phones, laptops, watch some movies, put the feet up and have a coffee break etc

But I bet they're all patting themselves on the backs thinking they're doing a great job.

alpha-dog

RMS Regular
I just pray to god, that the new speed limit is properly sign posted. as any half decent driver will see speed signs.

but I can see them being sneaky ****s about it and just expect people to know what streets have changed.

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Will it really be that bad?
In fairness I don't spend too much time in town, but anytime I do I find it rare that 20mph will even be achieved!
20mph will likely ease congestion by reducing the build-up at traffic lights and other bottlenecks.
I would rather be able to hold a steady 20mhp than a 5mph stop start progress!.

Of course this is Belfast we are talking about, and al great plans rarely work out lol

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Sort the traffic lights out
Sort the bus lanes

Sneaking up to 30mph is 50% above speed limit, hit 40 and thats twice the limit which would then equal a driving ban???

pablo

RMS Moderator
might stop the eejits who dart from traffic light to traffic light at full speed. The city centre is REALLY busy with pedestrians and now more and more cyclists so this is a good move imo.

I don't think it will realistically hold anyone up either, given you spend most of the time stopped at lights.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.