Belfast City Center speed limit reduced to 20mph

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
You know what I mean @pablo itl be a bloody goldmine for the cops at that hour of the morning. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if fixed cameras go up.

Tedtiler

RMS Regular
Drives
St246 caldina
Pretty skeptical about this tbh. Instead of useful stuff like dedicated( not on the road!) cycle lanes or extra cheap parking to help the retailers in the city centre, they think what can we do for free? Everyone already travels these roads at 20 or less :worried::mad:

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
I really wish they'd left the cobbles and trams in the town centre.
Wet cobbles would be great craic to drive on

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Plenty more out of town ones to catch us with lol

I'm not one for sentiment but look at some photos of Belfast 100 years ago and compare with today. The place has been ruined to accommodate cars and traffic.

johnboy888

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk 6 Golf Gti
can't see the point other than to try and drive the motorist out of the city fully expect speed cameras to go up too. but hey there's more to northern Ireland than Belfast city centre :p

steaa

RMS Regular
Drives
DBP MK7.5 R
They say in the article it is to cut accidents but 20mph limit around city hall where the roads are actually pretty wide and decent with plenty of available crossings, and 30mph still on the narrower streets off it (from the map I seen) like Adelaide street etc.. where people are more likely to chance nipping across in front of or in-between cars to get across.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Cut accidents...croc of ****.

I'd bet a FOI requesting accident stats caused solely by vehicles travelling at 20-30mph where driving that speed was the cause would yield a result of zero.

Not that many cyclists do ride faster than that, lets hope any that manage it are also targeted with this...which is unlikely as nobody enforces any other motoring laws that may help prevent them committing suicide by motorist.

alpha-dog

RMS Regular
its the ****ing pedestrians fault. I remember driving past the city hall. I was waiting patiently for the traffic lights to go green so I can carry on with my day.

then I see some ****ing hure still crossing the road when the green man wasn't even there! and my lights were yellow/amber going to green.

needless to say, I shouted abuse at her the. wheel span off.

why is there no one on the pedestrians back about **** like jay walking?

pablo

RMS Moderator
its even worse when you're on a bike, they don't hear a car so just walk out onto the road without looking. I need a ******* dorky bell ffs.

in saying that you're driving through a pedestrian heavy city centre, some common sense should be applied.

alpha-dog

RMS Regular
I was being really satirical in my previous post but seriously, why arent more pedestrians getting fined and imprisoned for poor road etiquette??

jay walking, crossing when traffic lights say it isn't safe, etc. why is there so much hate on drivers when the pedestrian was a clown and didn't look left and right?

johnm

RMS Regular
I reckon the whole place should be shut off except for delivery vans. Its really not that big of a place takes 5/10mins to dander from one side to the other.
If you blocked off to traffic (including buses) from queen street to upper queen street down to the back of city hall, round it to M&S on chichester street. Then high street up to castle street/north street and in/around the cathedral quarter it would be a hell of a lot better.

Buses are the biggest offender in the city centre and most of the folks that drive them are eejits behind the wheel!

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
I generally don't follow the news that often and as such my next comment may seem a little uneducated:- but have most of the accidents in the city centre not been as a result of Translink drivers and taxi drivers?

Certainly I seem to remember that the fatalities were caused by Translink drivers?

simy

RMS Regular
I've seen more than one bus driver with a phone in one hand and a coffee in the other.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I've never seen a hairdryer in the city centre. Ever.

They didnt have 20mph speed limits in the city centre either. As long as they're targeting the buses which carry the highest risk to everyone then it could be a good thing.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I reckon the whole place should be shut off except for delivery vans. Its really not that big of a place takes 5/10mins to dander from one side to the other.
If you blocked off to traffic (including buses) from queen street to upper queen street down to the back of city hall, round it to M&S on chichester street. Then high street up to castle street/north street and in/around the cathedral quarter it would be a hell of a lot better.

Buses are the biggest offender in the city centre and most of the folks that drive them are eejits behind the wheel!

The City Council wont even give permission or permits for delivery vans to enter pedestrian zones or the city centre ! I know a few guys who've tried before and been pretty much told to **** off, not a hope.

If they really want to pedestrianise it, go ahead, then hopefully all business etc can move elsewhere where it's actually profitable and easy for people to get to !
It may end up a bit dead, but it seems like it's what the councils want. Then buses can drive round in circles all day and people can dander about all they like. Even if there will be nothing to do.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.