Belfast City Center speed limit reduced to 20mph

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

a4turbos

RMS Regular
If FOI requests were created for everything that's been moaned about on here for the last 10 years....a new Government department would be created purely to service the requests and delivery of those reports.

eamon343

RMS Regular
Drove past the back of city hall last night, 20 mph feels painfully slow, got dirty looks from a knob in a range rover who was stuck behind me and undertaken by a bus going about 40 lol

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
If FOI requests were created for everything that's been moaned about on here for the last 10 years....a new Government department would be created purely to service the requests and delivery of those reports.

You should do an FOI request to see how much FOI requests have cost over the years.

And after a month or so, I fully intend to ask a FOI about accidents prior to, and accidents that have been reduced from this new idiotic limit.

pablo

RMS Moderator
seems like they get the same punishment as the rest of us so whats the problem?

Its a good thing that they don't get waved on like the old days.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
Thankfully I have now figured out that this is only around 500m of my route affected in the mornings (coming along past the university until I turn up the side street past the Sunflower)

Still find it harder to adjust speed and keep it there as I used to cruise down the emptier roads/streets in 3rd at 30 which is a struggled in a 1.4HDi with a bad clutch lol

alpha-dog

RMS Regular
seems like they get the same punishment as the rest of us so whats the problem?

Its a good thing that they don't get waved on like the old days.

they should get harsher punishment just because they should've known better.

preferably stuck on a push bike for the rest of their lives

alpha-dog

RMS Regular
44 out of how many across NI? 7000?

Astounding!

that's only how many have got caught, if I didn't know where the fix cameras are, I would have got caught. so how many are doing it and not getting caught?

stop defending the filth. they're not above the law.

I doubt I would have a job left if I get caught speeding in a work van.

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
90's Junk
I was driving through the town at midnight last night and adhering to the 20mph speed limit is a complete ballache. Lucky I did though as the cops were standing just passed Inst beside one of those big 20mph limit signs. I spent more time looking at the speedo than at the road.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
that's only how many have got caught, if I didn't know where the fix cameras are, I would have got caught. so how many are doing it and not getting caught?

stop defending the filth. they're not above the law.

I doubt I would have a job left if I get caught speeding in a work van.

“When we break the law we can expect to have the same penalties applied as any other member of the public.”

Your boss would sack you for speeding? No wonder you're angry.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
“When we break the law we can expect to have the same penalties applied as any other member of the public.”

In some respects they should receive a harsher punishment given their role. In much the same way if a member of the public contests an allegation against them for some reason in court they would get a harsher punishment for exactly the same "offence" simply because they believed the accusation was unfounded or false

Courts and a trial shouldn't be used for harsher punishment, or to put fear into the accused, simply to try and ascertain guilt ( or in motoring cases for the accused to try and prove innocence )

The system is still ****ed up whether some officers get done for speeding or not. And I'd guess the officers who did get done...didnt damage anything, hurt or kill anyone. Hardly a crime of the century considering half the scrotes you hear getting away with all sorts of **** in the courts, if they even make it to court.

What the police should be saying...is most speeding charges are bull**** and serve no purpose. Wise the **** up. They cant tell the truth now though after all the years or BS propaganda around it !

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I was driving through the town at midnight last night and adhering to the 20mph speed limit is a complete ballache. Lucky I did though as the cops were standing just passed Inst beside one of those big 20mph limit signs. I spent more time looking at the speedo than at the road.

They're out with speed guns already ? As you're driving so slowly past them, you should shout out the window and asked them how many lives they've saved today through their activities. Then they can feel proud for what they're doing.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
There's no point arguing with you Stevie, you're a broken record when it comes to speeding and the law.

alpha-dog

RMS Regular

maybe I misread all the doe stuff but I thought speeding was blasphemy no matter how much you're speeding

yes police should get harsher punishment. they're supported to uphold the law not be a above the law.

what message does this send to the public? if police can even follow simple driving laws, what other laws have they broken and why should we listen to hypocritics?

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
90's Junk
They're out with speed guns already ? As you're driving so slowly past them, you should shout out the window and asked them how many lives they've saved today through their activities. Then they can feel proud for what they're doing.

I didn't see any gun/radar, just a police officer inside a car and one outside it.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
There's no point arguing with you Stevie, you're a broken record when it comes to speeding and the law.

And many lives are broken too because of current policies.

That's the simple reality and people like Durka Dukra need to actually listen when people tell him, then it may be possible to reduce road deaths.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Are there cameras enforcing this? Locations?

Went through town yesterday and probably exceeded 20 a few times.

Topmark

RMS Regular
This is a real annoyance. And I wonder how many politicians & government bodies considered the impact on traders of this change - I would definitely be put off driving to Belfast City to shop now. Not worth the hassle.

pablo

RMS Moderator
it really makes little difference. if you go at a time when shops are open you are lucky to get over 20mph bar very short bursts.

Topmark

RMS Regular
Shops are open until 9pm 3 days of the week and all day Sunday too.

Regardless though, I accept that at certain times. However, I don't think shoppers will think it out in that way. I think they'll just make a swooping decision.

City centre drivers now have to concentrate on driving in a built up area, pedestrians, half-wise cyclists, buses pulling in, out and swooping across lanes, being caught in a bus lane by a camera (when often hard to avoid), taxis thinking they own the road (particularly black taxis and I'm not branding all black taxi drivers as this btw) and now constantly looking at their speedometer to ensure they don't get caught creeping over 20mph?

To many this is simply 'not worth the hassle'. I have no doubt traders will feel this.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.