BP Ultimate shortage in Northern Ireland?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Tedtiler

RMS Regular
Drives
St246 caldina
Yes indeed! your engine is a slightly tinkered version of what's in mine - Why the use of super has suddenly come in to question I don't understand! High Octane fuel is mandatory on turbo charged jap scrap.

BTW there can't be too many of those caldina's in the country!

Well I've not seen another over here but you never know. Reckon it's probably ok on 97 but 95 would be asking for trouble. No sign of knock issues yet. Must try the det cans on it.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
I wonder can you gauge by this shortage who actually fills up often

If they have it to sell, perhaps it's been lying a long time. If they have none to sell perhaps they have run out and are used to getting filled every other day I.e great fresh super

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Given the size of most underground tanks, I doubt any of them will be selling out of SUL in a couple of days

I'd say most would last even a couple of weeks or more.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Given the size of most underground tanks, I doubt any of them will be selling out of SUL in a couple of days

I'd say most would last even a couple of weeks or more.

Depends if they fill the tank though. When we ran a station we only ordered 3000l at a time to keep it fresher.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
I wonder can you gauge by this shortage who actually fills up often

If they have it to sell, perhaps it's been lying a long time. If they have none to sell perhaps they have run out and are used to getting filled every other day I.e great fresh super

Good thinking batman...

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
If bp have it in the country. They will get it to the pumps within a few hours. I think my theory is pretty good.

MINTER_GTR

RMS Regular
Drives
R34, 530i sport
ffs,stick some 95 in till the super is back and drive off boost,the only boys that should have any real worries is big powered jap imports mapped for it that are looking to send it on in their motors,if its a UK car then you are an edjit for buying super unless you have some major upgrades and the car was mapped for it once said upgrades were completed.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Would agree mostly. Certainly it won't blow up
But I know my m3 returned better mpg on super.

Tedtiler

RMS Regular
Drives
St246 caldina
My cars ecu will pull the timing if it detects knock so car will run down on power. Whether this is the same for other non toyota jap import ecus I don't know.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
As has already been mentioned by @Coog, the 350Z DE engine can not detect knock over 5000 rpm. It maybe be only a NA machine, but it is mapped for 98 RON, as are many other Japanese NA cars, however some of these may be able to detect knock all the way throughout the rev range, unlike the 350.

I can also assure that 90% of 350Z's in the UK are not run on standard unleaded. As a member and REO of the 350Z UK club I can assure you that at least 90% of the 14,500 members of the club are using 97+RON petrol.

Yes, I could stick a tenner of standard in there and crawl about in the low rev range and the car will be fine until I get some decent (cleaner) fuel in there, but I didn't buy a 300 BHP car to pootle about in at 2k RPM. My car gets driven properly, how it deserves to get driven, how it was built to be driven, so the least I can do is put the correct fuel in it. :grinning:

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
If you drive it hard you shouldnt have bought a car thats knock sensor stops working at high revs when it needs it most. Doh.

MarkM

RMS Regular
Anyone had an answer as to when we get back to normal? We have two evos sitting here with empty tanks :worried:

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
If you drive it hard you shouldnt have bought a car thats knock sensor stops working at high revs when it needs it most. Doh.

It's pathetic, isn't it? I wasn't aware when I bought the car, call it lack of research if you like. But it won't detonate with the correct fuel :grinning: Probably lol

Mark_C

RMS Regular
I wouldn go with that sweeping statement. Not all do
The reason oem EFI manufacturers like bosch have used knock sensors since the 1980s is to alter timing if knock is detected. There's no point in fitting one otherwise and oems don't waste money.

Which factory systems have a sensor and dont use it? Even motronic ml3.1 from the mid eighties uses it for that purpose.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

Not really, because it's around peak torque where it would need it most. Not necessarily high revs.

And just because it doesnt listen after a certain point on some vehicles, doesnt mean anything it heard before wont have an impact at higher rpm's

And if you think most OEM knock sensor/control systems will save an engine from completely wrong fuel or poor tuning with bolt on mods...no it wont.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Yep. By time it detects serious knock... It's already detected it so the det has already occurred.
Only takes once.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Yep. By time it detects serious knock... It's already detected it so the det has already occurred.
Only takes once.

A good system will already have nailed it at a mild level before anything serious would occur. But expecting that from most OEM systems is hoping for a bit too much.

Tedtiler

RMS Regular
Drives
St246 caldina
Old stuff we used to race would just light the engine light and throw up a code, not really change anything, wrecked Ringlands on that system pretty easily. Newer toyota ecus seem to have a 'bad fuel map' to revert to if mild knock is detected. Then some engines are tougher than others too

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.