BTCC 2014 : All Chat Here

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

DEEJAY.B

RMS Regular
OP
DEEJAY.B
Drives
AUDI A4 Advant .
Champion BTCC team West Surrey Racing today announced the loss of title sponsor eBay after a five-year partnership.

“eBay has enjoyed a very successful partnership with West Surrey Racing and are proud to conclude our sponsorship on a real high with Colin’s fantastic BTCC Championship win. We would also like to thank **** and the whole WSR team for their huge effort this year and wish them more success in the future,” said Steve Heywood, eBay spokesman.

The team claimed the British Touring Car Championship drivers’ title with Colin Turkington as well as the teams’ title this year with the eBay branded BMW 125i cars.

“We have just completed our most successful season in the BTCC, winning four out of four categories, so I believe we are in a strong position to offer new partners a unique marketing opportunity,” said **** Bennetts, WSR Team Principal.

“We have enjoyed a great partnership with eBay and I am extremely proud of everyone at WSR, by securing both Drivers’ titles with Colin Turkington and both Teams’ titles with the help of Rob Collard and Nick Foster this year.”

The team states that the search of a new title sponsor has begun, but with no further details.

DEEJAY.B

RMS Regular
OP
DEEJAY.B
Drives
AUDI A4 Advant .
BTCC champion Colin Turkington talking to other teams for 2015

1418036046.jpg

British Touring Car champion Colin Turkington has admitted that he may need to switch teams to continue in the championship next season.

Turkington took the 2014 title with the West Surrey Racing BMW squad, which lost main sponsor eBay last week.

Although the team is looking for a replacement backer, and Turkington is keen to stay, he admitted that he is now looking at different options.

"With eBay not being involved it is making it difficult for me to be there," said Turkington, who was forced out of the BTCC after taking his first crown - also with WSR - in 2009. "It came as a real surprise to all of us.

"My number one priority is to be on the BTCC grid. I see myself as a British Touring Car driver and I don't want a repeat of 2009-10.

"I am talking to other teams. At the moment I am unattached."

Turkington also said he was happy to race rear-wheel-drive machines, like WSR's BMW 125i M Sport, or front-wheel-drive cars, which form the majority of the grid.

1418036094.jpg
"You want to put yourself in the car that has the best chance to win, irrespective of whether it's FWD or RWD," he added.

"I've done both before and been successful."

TURKINGTON'S BTCC RACE WINS
BMW 125i M Sport (RWD) 13 wins
BMW 320si (RWD) 13 wins
MG ZS (FWD) 4 wins
Vauxhall Astra Sport Hatch (FWD) 2 wins

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
Why did eBay leave? Do they not think the BTCC market is good enough?

timor

RMS Regular
Rob Collard almost certainly,tho i have my doubts that Foster will return.That just leaves Turkington and things don't seem to be looking good for him as they did in 2009.

DEEJAY.B

RMS Regular
OP
DEEJAY.B
Drives
AUDI A4 Advant .
Did not see this coming ! !

Andy Priaulx could join Sam Tordoff at West Surrey Racing
Triple world champion Andy Priaulx could be in line to join Sam Tordoff at West Surrey Racing for the 2015 BTCC.

Priaulx, who won the WTCC in 2005, 2006 and 2007, has already confirmed an ELMS programme with Marc VDS, but is believed to be looking at dovetailing this with another series.

TouringCarTimes understands Priaulx has also been looking at options to return to the WTCC, and has most recently been linked with Münnich Motorsport.

And West Surrey Racing boss **** Bennetts confirmed in Motorsport News that he has spoken with the Guernseyman about the prospect of joining the reigning teams’ champions on British shores. Current champion Colin Turkington’s future with the team has been cast into doubt by the withdrawal of title sponsor eBay last week.

The already-confirmed Tordoff tested the BMW 125i M-Sport at Brands Hatch today, and spoke to MSV about the prospect of having Priaulx as his team mate.

He said: “It would be lovely. I’m not sure whether there’s any truth in that rumour, and I don’t know Andy personally, but I wouldn’t shy away from that at all. He’s a factory BMW driver, there’s no-one better to learn off than him.”

But he added: “I can understand why Colin’s done such a good job, but also he’s won the championship because he’s very good and I think for my benefit I want him in the seat alongside me. I’m not scared of having a quick team-mate – I’ve had Jason for the last two years, and I think it would bring me on as a driver, so I want Colin to be back.”

The main potential sticking point for a touring car return for Priaulx is that both the WTCC and BTCC have some clashes with his ELMS commitments. The Nürburgring and Vila Real rounds of the WTCC are scheduled against the ELMS rounds at Imola in May and the Red Bull Ring in July respectively, while the BTCC’s Rockingham race weekend clashes with the penultimate round of the ELMS season at Paul Ricard in September.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
It is a regulation part, entire subframes, both ends. BTCC cars are pretty much spaceframe jobs, with a huge percentage standardised components where everyone has to use exactly the same to keep costs down. And then a skin on top vaguely resembling some kind of "road car" :innocent:

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
It is a regulation part, entire subframes, both ends. BTCC cars are pretty much spaceframe jobs, with a huge percentage standardised components where everyone has to use exactly the same to keep costs down. And then a skin on top vaguely resembling some kind of "road car" :innocent:
I know this, have had arguments about it with mates haha.

Just the first time seeing a btcc car without the front

timor

RMS Regular
WSR are to announce a new backer and driver this week at Autosport,what are the chances it would be Plato and his Tesco backers??

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
If plato goes to wsr to drive the BMW, all his complaining of there advantage has kinda backfired a little.

Wonder how long it will be before the new rules are crippling the rwd cars haha

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Should be fun though, seeing Plato in a RWD car. Very different from what he has driven in recent years. No doubt he will be able to work it out though, and he does have a knack of ending up in good cars wherever he goes. Should be good preparation for a sports cars retirement too :innocent: :p

But more question marks for Turkington then :worried:

timor

RMS Regular
As you say it's all about money,i would hate to see Turks lose out a second time to defend his championship,here's hoping he manages to secure a drive with someone.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.