Coogs multifaceted fleet

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Go for it. £60 would paint most cars and that includes decent rollers, brushes, paint and thinners. I've enough left to do the car again too.

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
For the first time did you stick with the medium scotchbrite for sanding and then only the once over with the 1000 grit?

Just curious if the gloss paint made any difference to the method on the land rover forum.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Yeah sounds about right. I just made sure it was smooth before painting and that it was well cleaned and tested for possible reactions. If you're looking flawless then it's not the way to go unless you have lots of time.

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
Not looking flawless, just fancy tidying up a bit of rust and this looks the cheapest/easiest/quickest way to repaint it for a half decent finish.

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
Coog, if im totally honest, the army green could pull of the roller paint, but glammer queer blue cant :/

Only one thing for it now... Slammed, dish and matt black...

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Some weather for mx5ing recently :grinning:

With a mates Capri.

DSC_0050.JPG

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
I thought you passed me yesterday going from Bangor - Belfast but the colour of this threw me :p

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Was out at tea time from Bangor to Belfast. Tons of mk1's out and about at the minute though!!

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Hard to believe I've had this nearly two years. It's been so much craic... so easy to work on and I've done so many things in it; from tackling the countryside in the snow, doing a drift day, running it about the country as my only motor while others let me down, being filled to the throat with spades, shovels and wheel barrow for working at the house, taking my nieces for runs (they love it), driving the length of Ireland, airport duty in Dublin and beating it silly round the Ards peninsula. All for less than the cost of the back box for the 350Z.

In that whole time this 22 year old shed has needed a set of springs, an exhaust centre section, one rear caliper and service bits (and the occasional roller painting).

I even bought a 2nd but it's very much a parts car.

DSC_0147[1].JPG

Not much has changed for now. A month or so back I got busy with the spanners and made a few alterations:

DSC_0170[1].JPG

Give the interior the old switcheroo (WIP in this pic):

DSC_0171[1].JPG

Then decided I wanted the leather back so went for a combo, which I quite like. The white one being used as a Mazda branded skip at this stage:

DSC_0177[1].JPG

Next up is MOT then I think I might see if it'll make it to the Nurburgring in 2015 :laughing:

soupz

RMS Regular
Drives
Boxster S
Those seats really shouldn't work, but i think you could just about get away with it because of the colour of the car!lol Big job changing the dash over?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Those seats still look better than the knackered cloth ones I think. Maybe re-upholster in a different colour at some point, if you were feeling flush :grinning:

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Haha yeah they look alright. If I could dye them black I would, but I can't. Maybe one day I'll treat myself to a couple of bucket seats but until then the leather works grand. I swapped them because the fabric ones were knackered and also the roof has a habit of leaking onto the driver seat when I open the door - leather is easier wiped dry lol

The dash swap wasn't too horrendous. There's a guide online for it which is handy - 5-6 hours with tea breaks. Hardest part is wiring it all back up again tbh. I reused my old loom because it was virtually untouched. The loom that came out of the white one was a mess and at some stage has actually been on fire/melted so it was binned :scream:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
A bucket of paint and a brush should be enough for the seats surely :p

I think those tan ones look just fine there to be honest. Very MX5 as well. And definitely better than those cloth seats.

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Would it be feasible to take the rear end of the donor car and make it into a trailer to tow behind the mx5 for when you need extra luggage space?
I think those 1.5 car combos look great lol

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Tell you what that's not bad money at all!

Cheaper than the MEV Exocet and arguably better looking.

http://www.mevltd.co.uk/exocet_price.htm

http://www.mevltd.co.uk/exocet_build.htm

Either could end up a lot more expensive by the time you add bits & bobs though. I'm not convinced that the GBS kit 'only' needs a MX5 donor to get it going, there's quite a few bits missing that would need to be bought new!

Would it be feasible to take the rear end of the donor car and make it into a trailer to tow behind the mx5 for when you need extra luggage space?
I think those 1.5 car combos look great lol

I love them too but half a MX5 would be useless. Be better with a FWD hatch back for that sort of thing TBH. I was thinking that the back-end could make a cracking BBQ.... but I can't be arsed with the hassle lol :p

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
It takes a fair bit of time, commitment and cash to build a kit car, but would be a shame to just dump the remains of the white one. I've an Exocet in the garage that's become a very expensive storage bin! @scooby1929 has an Exocet in Bangor that's almost finished for IVA I'm sure you could have a look at some evening.