Dashcams and Dashcam Footage

bora-gav

RMS Regular
Drives
VW/SKODA
£20 ebay job. Think it was advertised early on in this thread. Only problem is that it's light sensitive so occasionally turns off at night time

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
£20 ebay job. Think it was advertised early on in this thread. Only problem is that it's light sensitive so occasionally turns off at night time

Is it this one? I see it's just a cigarette plug, did you wire yours in to ignition live and does it just use motion to turn on everytime you get in or do you have to manually turn it on?

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/321442285906?cmd=VIDESC

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
If you wire it to the ignition you will need a resistor to bring it down to 5v. They just turn on and off with the ignition.

Last edited:

Ant

RMS Regular
@Lyons, well fitted it this morning, was easy enough apart from the the instructions are unbelievably small and hard to read, and the menu's were in Chinese but managed to get it into English. The memory card is a bit awkward to put in and out.

View attachment 69662

The video quality is ok, it's a bit dark, not sure how it will fair at night. There is an exposure setting so I might try fiddling with that. Also the heating elements in my windscreen wont be helping image quality TBF I have to remember it was only £16

just bought this myself, how's it doing at nighttime?

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
just bought this myself, how's it doing at nighttime?

Under streetlights it is not to bad. On unlit roads all you really see is your lane from the white line to the left hand verge, really the beam pattern of your lights. But then if you jam up the contrast on your PC monitor when viewing it you see a lot more

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Got this pleb not having a clue what to do at a roundabout, seems minor compared to the one with the volvo

If you had of taken off quickly that would have been a crash for sure.
What a t**t, the car pulled into the lane marked LEFT then drives onto the roundabout in front of you. dear me.

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
That is unreal, especially the last one.

There MUST be something that can be done against him with those videos as proof, surely??

Even pay him a visit.

StevenMc29

RMS Regular
Mine arrived today. Seems decent for the money:

BlackVIEW camera with warm tips advising not to use shoddy storage cards ^o)

I've taped over the white LED with some black electrical tape for a more stealthy look.

View attachment 65067

I'll upload a video in fading light for anyone interested later on.

Link to buy for anyone interested (may be cheaper on eBay):

Anyone know how to get a MK4 Golf cig lighter to go on and off with the ignition?

This one!

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
If you had of taken off quickly that would have been a crash for sure.
What a t**t, the car pulled into the lane marked LEFT then drives onto the roundabout in front of you. dear me.

This one doesn't actually bother me too much. You can see the driver wasn't sure of where they are, ie. not familure with the road layout. Normally when approaching a roundabout and intending on going straight on, you get over the left, but in this case you had to stay in the middle.

avo5021

RMS Regular
Any of the RMS plod recommend how best to report this?

Rock up to police station with memory card?
Email?
Facebook?

@avo5021 , @therock etc

You can report it at any Police station or over the phone, it will then be passed to a Constable in the area it happened in to investigate it. The clips you have merely back up your allegation of Careless/Dangerous driving.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Out of interest, what are the chances of anything being done about it based on videos like that? Is it enough to prosecute, or even to warrant a friendly chat?

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
It would probably only stand as minor evidence for prosecution in the event of an accident.

It should be enough for the police to pay a visit to the driver and have a word but the chances of them doing that are zero considering they dont even attend minor accidents at times.

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Out of interest, what are the chances of anything being done about it based on videos like that? Is it enough to prosecute

The clips you have merely back up your allegation of Careless/Dangerous driving.

I thought as much.
I know that in some instances the Law is an ass.

You could have a video clip showing a car and a reg, clearly driving in a careless/dangerous fashion.
However I fear unless caught red handed, with DNA on the steering wheel it would be hard to prosecute or prove who was driving.

Someone could claim it wasn't them driving or maybe that it wasn't even their car, must be cloned plates.

I know of cases where police have turned up at a scene of a crash with a drunk man and woman and neither got done for Drink driving as they couldn't prove whom was in the drivers seat ffs. Wild.

or even to warrant a friendly chat?

Definately.
A car full of guys cut myself and wife off one night and forced us up a kerb.
My wife was pretty upset, I caught up with them and got the reg.
Went to station, made a complaint.
Cops called at guys house stating that he had a complaint of dangerous/careless driving and what did he have to say.
The cop called me back to say he wasn't drunk or on drugs, but he admitted he was speeding and overtaking people and he was sorry.
Cop asked me how I would like to proceed. If I would like to go to court and see about prosecution.
I didn't as I was worried it would be mine and my wife's word against 4 of them when it came down to it.
I was just happy he got spoken to and maybe wised him up a bit.