Dashcams and Dashcam Footage

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
This thread is depressing, some people get far too worked up over silly trivial things. Ooh look what this bad boy done today cutting me up... If I ever had one of these cameras fitted it would strictly be used to extract evidence from if someone smashed into me.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
This thread is depressing, some people get far too worked up over silly trivial things. Ooh look what this bad boy done today cutting me up... If I ever had one of these cameras fitted it would strictly be used to extract evidence from if someone smashed into me.

I know...getting worked up over dangerous drivers. It's shocking.

If only the police would do the same, maybe some lives might get saved. Only a month to go for road deaths to hit triple figures this year...wonder will enough dangerous drivers be ignored to allow it to happen ?

alpha-dog

RMS Regular
they should start installing quality cameras on the Boucher, to monitor the quality of the driving preformed by people who apperently passed their test and stop wasting money on speed cameras

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Ordered the cheapest I could find to try it out. Memory card cost me more lol

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390959692442?

Will report back if it's any use!

Arrived on Wednesday but just getting to play with it today. Seems a tidy enough unit with dimensions smaller than a credit card and all plain black which is good. Keeps it hidden. Came with USB cable and 2m charger for the car as well as a sturdy little windscreen holder and instructions. First set-up is in Chinese but a few minutes in the menus revealed English. I've only tried a few vids round the house but quality is average (certainly not the acclaimed 1080p lol) which is what I was expecting, sound quality seems good too with option to turn off mic if you want. Other than that it has motion sensor activation plus auto on/off record on key switch and ability to capture and store a vid using the memory button. Will auto write over oldest video and cycles them on the card, automatically storing them in user defined lengths of time (I set it at 3 minutes).

For a tenner it'll do the job for me just fine (i.e back me up in worse case scenario). Will stick a vid up at some stage when I have something vid-worthy.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
And fitted.

WP_20130720_001.jpg
WP_20130720_003.jpg
WP_20130720_002.jpg

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Fairly similar to Pumestas one above, maybe a touch better but that's before youtube does it's thing to it.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Cigarette lighter charger?

Interesting to see how easy it will be to remove memory card, and view on computer.

Is there a programme with it, or does it just use Windows Media Player?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
The camera slides onto the mount and can be removed in 2 seconds with the mount left as-is. Plugs into computer with the included lead and it comes up as additional storage drive and the AVI files are right there and ready to play straight away. SD card pops out easily too if I wanted to remove it but no need really. Quite honestly couldn't be any easier, which is great for me as I haven't a clue!

Oh and yes cigarette charger plug with 2m (ish) of cable on it. The only extra you need is the SD card (I'm using one from my recently bust mobile at the minute).

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Just plugged it into the cigarette lighter with the included cable. It's 5v so wouldn't work direct from the fuse box.

$_57.JPG

eamon343

RMS Regular
Could run another 12V socket into the glovebox or somewhere and plug it into that?

Can you watch the videos on the screen on the camera @Coog

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Yes I might do that eventually to tidy it all up. Would be easy enough to do.

Yes can play back using the camera and it will also play sound through it's speaker. Also has onboard battery (I guess for motion detected capture) but doesn't seem to last longer than a few minutes. For sure it could prove very useful for roadside discrepancies!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
thinking of adding one to her car but would want it wires trailing about

Tuck them. I just pulled a few bits of trim off and ran the wires up the headlining. Only exposed wire is the one going to the unit at the top and 5cm at the bottom going to the plug.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Just plugged it into the cigarette lighter with the included cable. It's 5v so wouldn't work direct from the fuse box.

$_57.JPG

That all sounds rather splendid. Will be keen to see some footage.

Not sure about the wiring side of things myself, but if I were to chop the cigarette plug off the wire could it then be wired to the fusebox? Or is the 5v-12v gubbins within the plug part?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
You would need to wire a resistor in to drop the voltage to 5v.

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
Yeah its in the plug, me and @m00k tried hard wiring one before we knew this. We still havent found where the camera landed.