Dashcams and Dashcam Footage

JayT

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3eeeeeee
I can't watch the video. But I dislike when your behind a cyclist who appears not to be aware your there and when you do get a chance to pass they have their headphones in and couldn't hear you were there. It's madness.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Here's a test video I took this afternoon in Belfast. Quality direct from device is OK; i.e enough to help argue your case if necessary...

I just did a side by side test with two of the ones I have.

One is this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251630813763?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

And I can safely say it is crap ( yes it was only £10...but still ). Picture almost always looks out of focus and blurred. No way 1080 HD...or any HD, or even low res.
I'd say image looks same as yours above.

The older camera I have is same as this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-720P-N...769?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19d0e60489

The image is far better...but one letdown is the wide angle lens. So this distorts the view a little of oncoming traffic and stuff generally at the sides. Main frontal isnt too bad though

So the viewing angle of the 1080 is better, it's just crap overall.

Strangely, I bought this one for a camera to monitor some property

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LEBEA0K?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

It looks same as the egay one and physically it is, brackets etc. But it was boxed, 12v lead was different and onscreen info is different when it boots up.
I'm only using it as a static camera, but video quality ( through double glazing window ) looks better than the other two
Still not outstanding but it's looking through a window with rain on it, so that will affect it.
Might swap them and try it in the van or save some footage on a dry day

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
After noseying that website above, I bought a DOD LS360W, and it arrived a day or two ago, only getting a free minute now.

Compared to any I've had before, which to be fair where really cheap crap anyway, the LS360W is outstanding.
Excellent picture quality, and night time use is truly remarkable. It sees better than I do !!

Daytime may not be GoPro quality, but it is bloody good.

It has 1080, 720 and 720 60fps options. I'm just using 720 as I dont have any HD equipment anyway, so no sense in 1080 as it just takes up more card space.
720 is excellent anyway. It's leaps and bounds above the cheaper camera that also claimed 720.

Havent tried it on 60fps to see what it looks like yet though

But the video reviews and clips of it online, are proper and accurate about it's quality.

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
After noseying that website above, I bought a DOD LS360W, and it arrived a day or two ago, only getting a free minute now.

Compared to any I've had before, which to be fair where really cheap crap anyway, the LS360W is outstanding.
Excellent picture quality, and night time use is truly remarkable. It sees better than I do !!

It has 1080, 720 and 720 60fps options. I'm just using 720 as I dont have any HD equipment anyway, so no sense in 1080 as it just takes up more card space.
720 is excellent anyway. It's leaps and bounds above the cheaper camera that also claimed 720.

But the video reviews and clips of it online, are proper and accurate about it's quality.

You'll be doing the work of the police in no time :p

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
@stevieturbo on his way to work

image.jpg

dazz a555

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 320i Sport

bought 1 this morning purely on your glowing reference ....................

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Here are two night videos. I wont even bother with any from the £10 China camera as it is just rubbish.

First clip is this camera I've had for a couple of years, and claims 720. It does save file sizes similar to the new LS360W, so fills the card the same.
During the daytime it is decent, at night poor.

Both clips have been opened and shortened in Movie Maker and 1080P format selected. So original image quality may not be identical. Both cameras are set to 720HD. First one includes a ****er on a bike who just cycles out without looking at a crossing where his light is red at 00:04.49

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-720P-N...tem19d0e60489&clk_rvr_id=742467337839&afsrc=1

Second clip is same location, same sort of time the following night but the LS360W

Last edited:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Again both videos shortened with Movie Maker and saved as 1080. Despite this, it seems to reduce quality overall from the original. More apparent with the LS360W than it is with the already lesser quality 720P camera

Daylight videos. LS360W on the way to get buns

Daylight 720P from a while back, some lane discipline awesomeness, remember it's speed that kills, not ****tards driving like this apparently.

Ricky302

RMS Regular
Drives
S8,M3,GTIR,XJR
No use buying a camera with a high end sensor if you're going to record in 720p

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
No use buying a camera with a high end sensor if you're going to record in 720p

And no use recording in 1080 taking up more card space when I dont have a screen etc that display's in it when 720 is more than enough quality anyway

Even Moviemaker seems to reduce size/quality over original footage when you select 1080 anyway

Ricky302

RMS Regular
Drives
S8,M3,GTIR,XJR
Buy a bigger card cheapskate :p 32gb at 1080p lasts for 4 hours on my camera before overwriting.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
I'm struggling to find one to take a punt on. I don't want to be spending £100+ but I want/need 1080, G sensor/parking mode, decent image at night and quite small size.

For example, the camera Steve bought is pretty good, but a bit expensive for me and too big. Others on the site he posted are perfect, but when I click through to Amazon there are quite a few bad reviews.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Buy a bigger card cheapskate :p 32gb at 1080p lasts for 4 hours on my camera before overwriting.

I have a 32gb card and that's as big as it accepts. 4 hours...That doesnt even cover work before breakfast.

In fact...at the minute...9 hours barely covers work before breakfast...and breakfast could still be hours away lol

At least at 720 the card will do about 8 hours.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
How much was the LS360 stevie?

£132 I think.

http://www.dod-tech.co.uk/onlinestore.html

The 430W seemed to get all the good reviews, but when I ordered they seemed to have no stock, although it says they have now.

The 460W seems to be a newer model and I was going to go for it, except some reviews on Amazon seemed to suggest product quality was not as good as the 430W ( no idea about image quality though ) so I just opted for the next one down that had the option of GPS which was the 360W

Obviously you need to buy your own memory card on top

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
I have a 32gb card and that's as big as it accepts. 4 hours...That doesnt even cover work before breakfast.

In fact...at the minute...9 hours barely covers work before breakfast...and breakfast could still be hours away lol

At least at 720 the card will do about 8 hours.

But isn't really only to catch an incident? So if there is something you want/need to keep you hit a button on the camera and it permanently saves that file until you manually delete it?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Instructions are vague ( usual chinese translations ), but I think it only permanently records when the g-sensor is activated.

I may be wrong there though. It does say there is an emergency button that secures files, although not sure if it just secures the particular file at that time or the entire card.

Supplied instructions also say 32gb card max, but the website says 64gb card can be used.

Mainly yes it is to catch incidents...but also handy to catch idiots to laugh at and maybe report to police.

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
Having played about with the wee Mio I bought in halfords, it's every bit as good as the much more expensive Blackvue I'm using in my sport. Chuffed to bits with it.

Would definitely suit your needs @Lyons

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
Instructions are vague ( usual chinese translations ), but I think it only permanently records when the g-sensor is activated.

I may be wrong there though. It does say there is an emergency button that secures files, although not sure if it just secures the particular file at that time or the entire card.

Supplied instructions also say 32gb card max, but the website says 64gb card can be used.

Mainly yes it is to catch incidents...but also handy to catch idiots to laugh at and maybe report to police.

I'm pretty sure the emergency button secures the current 3/5 minute file thats being recorded when you press it :grinning: I would be inclined to stick to the 32GB card despite what the website says, most only support up until 32GB so probably not worth the risk.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Button does indeed set that file aside in a different folder.

Only slight issue there is if you were near the very end of a file, or start of a new one, you might not secure the bit of video you actually wanted. So you'd still need to pay attention when you hit the button to see if the file had almost ended or a new one started. If a new one had just started then really you might have wanted the previous file secured.

Ideally it would secure the current file and one either side to be 100% sure. But no big deal really

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
Button does indeed set that file aside in a different folder.

Only slight issue there is if you were near the very end of a file, or start of a new one, you might not secure the bit of video you actually wanted. So you'd still need to pay attention when you hit the button to see if the file had almost ended or a new one started. If a new one had just started then really you might have wanted the previous file secured.

Ideally it would secure the current file and one either side to be 100% sure. But no big deal really

I had thought of that myself, but figured if the files are set to 5 minutes, then the chances of you missing something are pretty slim.