F1 2023

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
It's this part of the season I hate. You hope some of the teams have made up ground (e.g. McLaren, Merc) and there will be multiple teams going for wins.

And then by July the reality will set in that RedBull will be cruising another 1 horse race.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Here’s hoping to reduced wind tunnel time for Red Bull will have had the desired effect.

I hope McLaren can provide Norris with a car capable of challenging for podiums.

I also hope it’s not a one horse race.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Things like wind tunnel time and compute time appear to be completely self policed. Can't see that making any real difference to be honest if a team is prepared to go beyond "the spirit" of the rules.

I honestly think they should just scrap the budget cap rules. They appear to be all but completely unenforceable. They can't even be enforced in the same season, it's taking a year to complete audits. And then "negotiating" the results...

Use more regulation parts instead to keep the costs down for the majority of the teams. And let the top teams spend their way through, say, aero and engines, within some actually enforceable limits.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
I don't really like the idea of standardised parts, given it is supposed to be the pinnacle.

But not sure what the fix is tbh, as budget caps aren't levelling the playing field and are policed terribly.

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
I think the budget cap is fundamental to the increase in interest from new teams.
Audi wouldn't be there if it was going to cost them £500 million a year.

I assume as time goes on the budget audits will happen more quickly.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Absolutely, that's right too. But the budget rules are so complex, and so much of it is self-policed and cannot actually be audited effectively, that the whole thing is a bit ... diluted. It appears most teams have made an effort to "play nice" and stay within the spirit of the rules. But it's no given that all teams do the same. Just look at the difference in the number of new parts and upgrades different teams managed to produce for "the same budget".

Add to that a set of technical regulations that are also so complex that half the time the FIA themselves do not actually know what the actual rule is.

But hey, maybe last year was a blip with everyone getting used to it all. Maybe there have been enough "clarifications" on both budget and technical regulations that it can all begin to even out.

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
A new set of rules always widens the performance window across the teams.
I think all the 2023 cars will start to look like the 2022 Red Bull, but that should tighten up the gaps.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Liking this (as far as modern F1 cars go). Ferrari also looks great.
mercedes-w14-1.jpg

Lots of cars with at least some bare black carbon bits this year!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Wow, is that the official livery this year? It's very... severe, lol.

But yes, I have a soft spot for black too and that works.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
I guess so far it's all renderings, and not enough for the geek machines to start speculating about changes and upgrades from last year?

Will be interesting to see how much of last year's Mercedes survives. It was so different from all the others, but it didn't quite work out...

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
I guess so far it's all renderings, and not enough for the geek machines to start speculating about changes and upgrades from last year?

Will be interesting to see how much of last year's Mercedes survives. It was so different from all the others, but it didn't quite work out...

A number of cars have been spotted during their shakedown tests and studio shots. But a lot of it may not be the final parts they'll use in testing/racing.

stevyg

RMS Regular
Loving the exposed carbon on the Merc. Ferrari look great too. Mercedes are developing their side pods for early season adoption.

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
it’s seams they are sticking with their zero pod design

last year toto admitted they tried to run the car to low

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
I'm just hoping they have it sussed!

Ferrari must be the team running the most amount of paint/vinyl on their car.

The Alpine, or the version in this photo at least looks, interesting too.
qG4TKT9a.jpg

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
it’s seams they are sticking with their zero pod design

last year toto admitted they tried to run the car to low

Or so they want you to think...

Remember their show car last year had sidepods before they whipped the zeropod chassis out for the second test session.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR

I'd love to see Honda officially back. Apparently the name is back on the "RB" engine this year too.

No idea how it will all play out with RB and Ford if Honda re-enters officially. I believe RB claim they are developing "their own" engine for the new regs, but we all know it's the Honda still...

Reactions: DC.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
It's just really weird with RB "building their own" which is actually a Honda too... So two Honda engines on the grid, lol. Or one that's actually the same and just pretends to be something else 🤫

And then maybe a Ford badge on one of them 😅🙈

Reactions: DC.