How many lorries to cripple a city?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Gambit

RMS Regular
belfasturbanmotorwaymontage.jpg

Thanks for this btw, I found that really interesting!

It's this picture that always blows my mind....double deck cutting through belfast out to the m1....and it's the wrong side of the embankment to now

brocks

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW X6 M50d
Car driver was in lane, bin lorry was moving lane......minor injuries, both single occupied...

Bin lorry was fully laden, 24 tonnes hence the heavy recovery, cranes and air lift

Total carnage traffic wise, incident occurred at 1500hrs on a Friday, was cleared at 1945..... Then straight to the SSE as folk were doing the usual heading to the Corrs concert and not following signage...... Buts that's another traffic SNAFU

Gambit

RMS Regular
Car driver was in lane, bin lorry was moving lane......minor injuries, both single occupied...

Bin lorry was fully laden, 24 tonnes hence the heavy recovery, cranes and air lift

Total carnage traffic wise, incident occurred at 1500hrs on a Friday, was cleared at 1945..... Then straight to the SSE as folk were doing the usual heading to the Corrs concert and not following signage...... Buts that's another traffic SNAFU

Fair do's it looked like a mare when I passed plus rubber neckers on way out was close to causing mayhem and that was about 4pm

SNAFU nows there's an old skool belfast shop!! Anybody got any Pablo gargano or Darryl tapes, tdk90s!

pablo

RMS Moderator
To be fair they were just plans. There is nothing to say they actually would have happened.

Road building always seems to be one step behind demand and I'd say that's true across the UK not just NI. Look at some of the crazy jams in England when a lorry topples in the wrong place.

It's hard to see any solution for Belfast that would elimate these kind of problems (bar maybe driver education). The real solution may be in car software where collisions are detected and avoided automatically. That might help more than new roads :grinning:

Even adding a link from westlink to m2 might not make too much difference as I usually join at yorkgate and the m2 is chocca along the shore and up the hill. All a link will do is feed that more.

I think the push will be more and more to get people out of their cars and into public transport (proper style not just more buses).

steaa

RMS Regular
Drives
DBP MK7.5 R
To be fair they were just plans. There is nothing to say they actually would have happened.

Road building always seems to be one step behind demand and I'd say that's true across the UK not just NI. Look at some of the crazy jams in England when a lorry topples in the wrong place.

It's hard to see any solution for Belfast that would elimate these kind of problems (bar maybe driver education). The real solution may be in car software where collisions are detected and avoided automatically. That might help more than new roads :grinning:

Even adding a link from westlink to m2 might not make too much difference as I usually join at yorkgate and the m2 is chocca along the shore and up the hill. All a link will do is feed that more.

I think the push will be more and more to get people out of their cars and into public transport (proper style not just more buses).

You just need to look at the amount of new motorways and roads that were/are being built in the Republic compared to NI, and Uk too

pablo

RMS Moderator
They are fantastic alright but its a case of catchup to the UK i think. Plus tolls everywhere. And any irish city ive been in is brutal for traffic.

Dave..

RMS Regular
You just need to look at the amount of new motorways and roads that were/are being built in the Republic compared to NI, and Uk too
The Republic got a fortune in EU money before the bubble burst, I remember when all their roads were like a day at Todds Leap. A trip to Dublin via Castlebellingham took Fking hours if someone broke down in the town.

steaa

RMS Regular
Drives
DBP MK7.5 R
Isnt UUJ moving to York Street in Belfast too in the next few years ? That will be fun no doubt

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

Biggest problems with the M2 after Belfast are people coming on at Fortwilliam/Duncrue, then cutting across to the M5, that's just a bad design with no real simple solution.

Then not helped by people trying to fire down the M5 and cut back into the M2 at the last minute. It's a pity they couldnt put a permanent divider in there between M2 and M5 lanes but then that would block people who legitimately need to get from Fortwilliam to the M5.

That said, I can't imagine most of the time it isnt just as handy to go along the Shore Rd instead of trying to get to the M5.

steaa

RMS Regular
Drives
DBP MK7.5 R
More amusingly, I believe they got planning permission for the university but didn't for the multistory car park to go with it.
Typical Belfast really. Politicians are happy to move everything into the city.. Jobs, investment, now the UuJ but once again they neglect to improve the infrastructure sufficiently to handle the extra traffic it brings. They couldn't even bring themselves to have a John Lewis store at Sprucefield, it was either Belfast or nowhere!

I've commuted into Belfast for work for the last 5 years and it has got worse year after year.

I don't mind centralisation but if politcians are going do to it, make sure the infrastructure is efficient otherswise it makes misery for everyone.

Last edited:

alpha-dog

RMS Regular
surely our road system is complete load of yite for the simple fact that our roads/motorists cant seem to handle an accident on the m2.

IMO it was a very mild accident, everyone just go down the shore road and join the m2 via fort william, past the lorry.

but no, the m2 being closed caused the whole of Belfast to be ****ed.

all north Belfast was ****, I think west, south and east was bad to.

alpha-dog

RMS Regular
More amusingly, I believe they got planning permission for the university but didn't for the multistory car park to go with it.

if I owned a multistory car park in Belfast city centre. of course I'll be whispering in the ears of the planning permissions people to tell uuj to go **** themselves.

pablo

RMS Moderator
surely our road system is complete load of yite for the simple fact that our roads/motorists cant seem to handle an accident on the m2.

IMO it was a very mild accident, everyone just go down the shore road and join the m2 via fort william, past the lorry.

but no, the m2 being closed caused the whole of Belfast to be ****ed.

all north Belfast was ****, I think west, south and east was bad to.

If you think 5 lanes of 70mph traffic can go up one lane of already busy 30mph traffic with traffic lights, right turners etc you're mental.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.