Lanes/Targa Rallies

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
@big_pete for that sort of money and fwd I would be trying for a 1.3 starlet. Can Saxo vtrs be got cheap. I have no experience of corsas so cant comment on them but I would imagine theyd be good enough too.
Sharing event about and splitting the car cost is a good shout too.

Liam Shaw

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Caddy/MX5
Soooo... After selling the 205 my Bro in Law had talked me into going halfers and sharing a car lol

£500 max to spend what would you buy lol? I'm thinking of a corsa or something FWD as he has no RWD experience. We were planning on sharing the car event about one he drives the other I drive?

If craics all your after anything at all for that money will do, fwd or rwd. Rougher mx5s are available across the water for that money but rust will very likely be a problem.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
My feet are too big for a 106/saxo :worried: I'd love a Nova but we would never get one for that money lol

Starlet is a good shout. Need something that will take a fair amount of abuse without constantly needed work as neither of us are overly mechanically minded.

Where would be best to pick up a sumpguard?

DavyC

RMS Regular
Soooo... After selling the 205 my Bro in Law had talked me into going halfers and sharing a car lol

£500 max to spend what would you buy lol? I'm thinking of a corsa or something FWD as he has no RWD experience. We were planning on sharing the car event about one he drives the other I drive?

Just to get out for a laugh?!... The likes of this couldnt be bad.. With a wee bit of bargaining, you could still throw a couple of new tyres and a tank of fuel in for your budget!.. and with nearly a years MOT! lol.

FORD KA, | United Kingdom | Gumtree

or
Toyota starlet | United Kingdom | Gumtree

As for guarding underneath, I'd say most could rustle something up out of a flat piece of 6mm (ish) alloy sheet with a few brackets. But if your at all unsure, then pay someone a few quid to make something up, rather then stick something flimsy on, that could get trailed off or stuffed in among shafts / pipes etc, doing more harm than good.

Last edited:

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Was there meant to be a link there @DavyC lol?

Yea with us sharing the driving we couldn't ever be competitive but its just to give us something to have a bit of fun with a **** about in his garage at the weekends :grinning:

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
This might sound like a stupid statement but would you guys not be worried about airbags deploying over some of the really rough stuff? Its something I didn't have to worry about in the 205 lol

Liam Shaw

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Caddy/MX5
There was one incident with an airbag going off and the navigator having to go to hospital I believe but it is very uncommon. I intended to put my passenger air bag on a switch in the summer time but never got around to it. The chances are very slim.

Last edited:

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
IMO airbags should be taken out for lanes just in case, obviously a pain for mot but better than hitting a bump and having it go off.

The likes of Motorsport Tools do generic sumpguards that could be made to work with whatever you buy, possibly a more expensive option than getting one made.

Forgot to say, a wee 1.4 16v Micra would be surprisingly sharp.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Some big hits in some of the tests there on Monday. I've never considered disabling the airbag until this discussion as I've never seen one go off without a fair hit in any case
The MG is a bit too low for some of the rougher lanes tbh but I have a plan for that for next year..

OZ10

RMS Regular
I may sell my starlet if interested. It's not in perfect condition, it's been up and down the lanes since they started but if your looking a cheap reliable car that is set up for lanes, bucket seats, stripped out interior, strut braces etc.

Car has won beginners and semi expert autotest championship in last two years. So that option is there also.

Last edited:

OZ10

RMS Regular
At dundrod I somehow missed a loud and clear "hard right davy!!" and went to go past a bright orange arrow!... reversed back, turned in right, and there's @earney standing with a big lens!!..

You were the first of many to do that! I assume the test had changed since the morning? Or was it ran in reverse?

robert106

RMS Regular
Drives
172 clio

Puma? It will be a bit frilly id imagine but an afternoon with some fiber glass and isopon would likely help

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
As far as I am aware you are allowed 4 forward facing beams, ie 2 headlights and 2 spots. I remember dad took the driving lights out of his 205 when he used it for night navs.

I have seen a few mx5s running them, I think they exceed more than 4 forward facing beams in the bar itself, does not seem to be much of a crack down on it as of yet though. Tbh I would have thought it would be of no real advantage as there are no night time events (unfortunatly!)

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
Having relieved @big_pete of his gti I'm now in the midst of getting it roadworthy and prepped for night nav. Anyone know of the legalities of Cree light bars? As opposed to two traditional spots.

There's no night nav championship this year afaik :worried: Clubs can still run events though and I think Dungannon are planning on running two.

I know of one car that has ran a light bar in the past though strictly speaking they shouldn't be allowed.

rupertfinch

RMS Regular
I'll happily stick on Rally Giants, just thought I'd check with more knowledgable folk. Shame about the championship, though we will keep our eyes peeled if there are any suitable events and if my wife lets me out to play. Thanks @PaulYDP

peespeed

RMS Regular
The TDC are running a multi-venue type event in Mondello Park on Sunday Jan 24th. The event will use parts of the full international track, the paddock, rallycross track and outer carparks. 2016 competition licences are required for the event however IRDS insurance cover will not be needed as the event won't be on the public roads. Navigators are not required but passengers may be carried (once they have signed on and paid the insurance cover)
Regs: http://www.tdcireland.com/phpBB2/Entry_Forms_Regs/TDC_MVAT/2016/Mondello_MVAT_regs_240116.doc
Entry form: http://www.tdcireland.com/phpBB2/Entry_Forms_Regs/TDC_MVAT/2016/Mondello_MVAT_form_240116.doc